Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 registered late 2018 build model bike and live in wet old UK. I know there are many posts regarding corrosion of some parts and how to try and deal with poor quality stuff with ACF50 and the like. I don't commute, go off-road or really ride in the wet (I know I've never lived). The bike is garaged, I use a bike dryer, try and look after it and maybe a bit OCD. As we all know, Honda have built these bikes with some poor quality parts, not all, but some. The spokes are fine but I struggle to keep the corrosion off the spoke securing nuts. Other bits of metal here and there also need a lot of effort to stop corroding. The bike was treated with ACF50 before winter and kept away from salt. Interestingly the bike is stored alongside a load of bicycles that have no corrosion issues whatsoever.
I did consider upgrading to a 2020 model but to be honest I'm wary of some component quality with Honda. I realise all makes are on a race to the bottom so Honda may not be the worst. So my question to the great and good among you is, is it unrealistic to expect a motorcycle to be able to operate in the mild and wet UK climate without needing endless efforts to control the corrosion. Is the 2020 model parts any better and how does Honda compare with say the GS1250's of this world. If/when I pull the trigger on another bike, I want it to corrode slower that this AT.

Any suggestions or perspective much appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My CRF 250 2012 is fine, no issues and its mainly winter use, my CrossTourer 2014 was not bad and just some rusty corroded bits, traded it in for 2019 ATAS, this has serious corrosion and quality issues in comparison.
I am also on my 3rd Street Triple 2017 , which scrubs up really well as did the ones before
All my bikes get filthy from winter use, cant see getting another Honda if this is the trend.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
2019 AT - seen nothing but winter salt and no corrosion yet. However, maybe it is too early and may have to wait another year. A few notes: No garage. No heat. Damp.

A heated garage for salted, damp vehicles is just trouble in the waiting.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DT.

My take on this and please make allowances for me, living in UK, I fully understand the effects of salt and humidity. The bike has not been near salt and true, the garage is not heated. For me, the question is, why are some components corroding and others not. Do the parts not corroding exceed the Honda specification or those that are affected, fall short of specification. Also why are the bicycles and other machinery that stored in the same space unaffected. Does this come down to either specification shortcomings or parts failing to meet specification. If I was Honda, I would ensure we sorted this. It cannot be beyond the whit of mankind to know an adventure motorcycle will get wet, Japan is after all a number of islands.
Despite being OCD in caring for the bike, the reputational damage this has done in my eyes for Honda will stop me upgrading to another. I accept that maybe all manufacturers are producing low quality products and it may well end up a pan/fire job for me. The reason for the post is to try and understand from the forum if Honda have moved on from fitting corrosion vulnerable components.

Of course, it's possible I have the California model!

Best regards.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Hey Ray: This would indeed be disappointing if this was a new Honda cost-cutting measure. It would affect or bias Honda loyalty down the road.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ray I'm on my second At. This one is a 2018 model but registered in 2019 (I didn't like the 19 colours). This one is much better than my 2017 bike for corrosion. But I knew this time what to watch out for and took precautions. I've ridden it right through the winter - salty roads and all.
I was originally a great fan of complete bike ACF50 treatment but have now come to the conclusion that if you ride in the wet it's gone in about 3 weeks, and anyway the bits most at risk (wheels etc) are covered up when they do the misting. I do use acf50 in places but dab it on with a brush. My most successful ruse was protecting the brake banjos and the metal connectors that hold the brake pipes with Honda Moly60 grease. One application with a paintbrush back in October and it's still on and looks great.
I don't think there's anything you can do about the spoke nuts. I understand Honda cannot make these out of stainless (Too brittle?) and any attempt at painting or coating would be doomed to failure.
There are about 6 mild steel metal brackets around the bike. These have sharp edges and are pretty poorly painted. They hold things like the horn etc. I have done these with the moly60 grease after acf50 failed on the last bike. There are some obvious poorly welded seams on the frame and I have done these too, and it seems to be working. If you don't protect the downtube of the frame from road debris with a fenda extenda then you will get chips that rust badly. I painted all these vulnerable areas with moly 60 too..
If you don't pay attention to nuts bolts and screws in the handlebar area these will turn white - but rather than use the grease I dab these occasionally with acf50.
I don't care about the bottom of the engine, and the centre stand area and so have let oil/grease build up there as a protection in itself.
By the way I don't think I have washed the bike since October - I use a waterless washnwax with carnauba wax (from the Range). (I do rinse the bike with cold water from a hose after a salty ride)
I ride with a pal who bought a kawaski Versys at the same time and he likes to keep his bike pristine, but he's fighting a losing battle compared to the Honda. He's constantly fighting red rust on various parts of the wheels and discs and ABS disk. When I look at the AT's rear suspension unit - that is not protected by any hugger, I'm amazed by how corrosion free it is - mind I did paint all the alloy parts of the dog leg with the Moly60.
I should also add that back in October the Moly60 and acf50 painting took me less than an hour.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
I hope to continue to avoid greasing the bits up. So far eight years of outdoor storage has avoided this for four bikes. I haven't even properly washed any of them with bucket and soap. That may change. The worst situation was when the chain turned orange, but that was due to too little lube on a chain ridden on salty winter roads. Tutoro takes care of that now. Would be nice to have a garage with an epoxy-coated floor and couch, but that isn't a thing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. It seems like owners have established various strategies for dealing with corrosion on their pride and joy, you've done this because you have been forced too. Accepting the different climates across the globe for a minute, given the plethora of different regulations manufacturers have to conform too, is it about time a resistance to rusting measure was added or a product graded. I'm thinking about being informed before we walk into a dealer and become just another victim of the hungry salesman. No YouTube motorcycle reviewer covers any of this for the commercial reasons we well know. I don't have keep running around my BMW cars with grease and ACF50 to try and stop them rusting, they live in the same garage with my bicycles and other machinery, so why should a motorcycle be any different?
I'm going to do more research on this before buying another motorcycle as I still don't think the situation is good enough. Apologies if we all don't agree!

Best regards

·
Registered
374 Posts
The reason that Honda cant make stainless spoke nipples is that the spoke are stainless steel (now) and it can be a real issue running stainless nut threads against stainless spoke threads as they can seize together and make spoke tightening impossible. Just ask anybody that uses stainless nuts and bolts - it is easy to have these lock together when trying to remove them as the similar materials seize.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. It seems like owners have established various strategies for dealing with corrosion on their pride and joy, you've done this because you have been forced too. Accepting the different climates across the globe for a minute, given the plethora of different regulations manufacturers have to conform too, is it about time a resistance to rusting measure was added or a product graded. I'm thinking about being informed before we walk into a dealer and become just another victim of the hungry salesman. No YouTube motorcycle reviewer covers any of this for the commercial reasons we well know. I don't have keep running around my BMW cars with grease and ACF50 to try and stop them rusting, they live in the same garage with my bicycles and other machinery, so why should a motorcycle be any different?
I'm going to do more research on this before buying another motorcycle as I still don't think the situation is good enough. Apologies if we all don't agree!

Best regards
I think it's been said before that if you look under your BMW or I look under my pristine looking 10 year old Lexus, you will see more corrosion than on a bike. Once a layer of rust has formed it tends to 'protect' the part, but we wouldn;t tolerate that on a bike because it's in plain sight. I I had to take a look at my car's brake callipers because of a scraping noise and Jeez what a mess .... but they work and you don't see them so it's OK
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Huh? "Rust protection"? ?

Any layers I see of rust usually turn to Corn Flakes with a light tough of a screwdriver and by the time you finish "scratching that itch", there is no material left. :LOL:

·
Registered
55 Posts
My AT has rust here and there, same as previously owned NC and this with no commuting or lots of riding. Although when I have time I ride nevertheless the condition. It doesn't feel nice for less than 3 years old bike, but the reality is probably neither much better or worse from the other mainstream manufactures. The BMW forums are full of corrosion complaints and few years ago I was about to get new R 1200 GS but what put me off was the cosmetic state of some of less than one year old second hand bikes for sale on display. Now I know Honda is no better but I am not sure I care too much. Far more important is reliability for me, and Honda scores OK on that front.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
My AT has rust here and there, same as previously owned NC and this with no commuting or lots of riding. Although when I have time I ride nevertheless the condition. It doesn't feel nice for less than 3 years old bike, but the reality is probably neither much better or worse from the other mainstream manufactures. The BMW forums are full of corrosion complaints and few years ago I was about to get new R 1200 GS but what put me off was the cosmetic state of some of less than one year old second hand bikes for sale on display. Now I know Honda is no better but I am not sure I care too much. Far more important is reliability for me, and Honda scores OK on that front.
I tend to agree with you regarding the Honda.

If one desires beauty and corrosion-resistant appointments and parts, the CB1100 might be it. The fit and finish is a maximum effort by Honda and may even challenge Moto Guzzi, or even Harley Dee in that regard. However, it is no Africa Twin and would fracture on the first off-road jump.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the 2020 model (I know im lucky...and broke) I got it in early December and the poor bugger is my daily commute, add to that the fact I don't have a garage and she lives outdoors under a framed cover...Id say she has a hard life!

To put a perspective on this I also owned the first 1000 model in 2016 then another in 2017 so Ive owned 3 so far.
The 2016 model really suffered in my hands, obviously the spoke issue but also switch gear nuts and bolts etc. In fact it was through my dissatisfaction that I ended up with the 2017 model.
Which did fair a bit better (spokes aside, until they were replaced by Honda), but this may be because I was paranoid so much that I did everything I could including taking all visible bolts out and greasing with either ally or copper slip grease as needed as well as the acf50 ritual.

As I say my 2020 CRF1100 visually didn't look to bad when I last washed it and I decided that I was just gonna enjoy the bike and if bits corroded bad I would whip em off and replace with good bolts as and when.

I will do a walk around with my camera tomorrow and post the worst bits so you can judge for yourself.

You also have to bear in mind the eco conscious industries these days, no solvent based paints more water based etc etc plus cost cutting (allegedly!) which all impacts on components longevity?!

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
I have the 2020 model (I know im lucky...and broke) I got it in early December and the poor bugger is my daily commute, add to that the fact I don't have a garage and she lives outdoors under a framed cover...Id say she has a hard life!

To put a perspective on this I also owned the first 1000 model in 2016 then another in 2017 so Ive owned 3 so far.
The 2016 model really suffered in my hands, obviously the spoke issue but also switch gear nuts and bolts etc. In fact it was through my dissatisfaction that I ended up with the 2017 model.
Which did fair a bit better (spokes aside, until they were replaced by Honda), but this may be because I was paranoid so much that I did everything I could including taking all visible bolts out and greasing with either ally or copper slip grease as needed as well as the acf50 ritual.

As I say my 2020 CRF1100 visually didn't look to bad when I last washed it and I decided that I was just gonna enjoy the bike and if bits corroded bad I would whip em off and replace with good bolts as and when.

I will do a walk around with my camera tomorrow and post the worst bits so you can judge for yourself.

You also have to bear in mind the eco conscious industries these days, no solvent based paints more water based etc etc plus cost cutting (allegedly!) which all impacts on components longevity?!
You really love the AT.

That is quite the spirit!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
one minor irritation for me is that the screws holding the decorative panels on the Honda top box have gone a rusty red. How much would it have cost to use stainless ones - or even plastic - as there is no load on them.
Mike

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get that cars are not produced for enthusiasts like bikes are. I agree with most of the points raised and like you say, need to keep things in perspective. I have decided not to purchase a CRF1100 until I know more about its corrosion resistance. Motorcycle component specification documents from the likes of Honda would make interesting reading. When I visit my local BMW dealer, I often look at the old bike park out back, this shows me what any product I might buy, will end up like, it's not a pretty sight.

I'd still like a purchase option tick box for corrosion resistant fixings, especially as I live the warm and wet UK. As I've said, I do wonder if I have a California model by mistake!

Happy riding and de-rusting everyone.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
335 Posts
Ray,

I have the 2020 from 2th of november last year and compare with to 2016 the quality is improved. on y old bike I used rustoleum transparent top coating on wheels frame and nuts and bolts. That was a good choice because the cleaning after a off road trip was a peace of cake. After 3,5 years the bike was still in good condition and my dealer sold the bike within 1 month after change to the ATAS es. But be honest if you go off road with bike you can not expect that it stays in a new condition. But tis is general for all bikes

good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts