Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have about 250 miles under my belt so I decided to play with wheelie control on the way home from work today. Most I've ever done in my life is loft the front tire of my FJR1300 under power about six inches off the ground for 100 feet or so with my wife on the back.

With the AT in Touring, Sport 3 and manual shift, I cracked her back in each of the three levels. 3, the front wheel lifts off the ground but no more than about 6 inches. 2, the front wheel lifts about two feet off the ground. 1, is a full 45 degree angle wheelie.

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
577 Posts
What happens at 45 deg? Throttle off or brake on?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Have about 250 miles under my belt so I decided to play with wheelie control on the way home from work today. Most I've ever done in my life is loft the front tire of my FJR1300 under power about six inches off the ground for 100 feet or so with my wife on the back.

With the AT in Touring, Sport 3 and manual shift, I cracked her back in each of the three levels. 3, the front wheel lifts off the ground but no more than about 6 inches. 2, the front wheel lifts about two feet off the ground. 1, is a full 45 degree angle wheelie.

Fun stuff!
Sounds good Relhok. Must have been some sort of enlightenment coming from the formidable FJR1300.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good Relhok. Must have been some sort of enlightenment coming from the formidable FJR1300.
I'm blessed to be able to get the 2020 ATAS without giving up my "Crotchety Rocket". Two very different amazing bikes!

·
Registered
35 Posts

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
Honda CRF1100
8 Posts
Have just bought Africa Twin 2020 Manual. Can't find wheelie control option... Isn't it there????? In which models it is?

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
327 Posts
It is quite simple to change with the arrow buttons. There are a lot of vid of it on YT

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
235 Posts

Fun stuff!
Relhok you are braver than I. In touring sport mode 3, I have had the front end consecutively come up three times about 6 inches off the ground. Very smoothly. Since I have never had a bike with a power to weight ratio like this machine, I have never done wheelies at all. I have spent my first 6,000 miles playing with the electronics via CarPlay, and learning how to take corners correctly. I had become a lazy passive rider on 30 years of Gold Wing riding. Relaxing and enjoying the scenery. I am going to have to play around with Wheelie Control slowly. It looks and sounds like fun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is quite simple to change with the arrow buttons. There are a lot of vid of it on YT
I just figured out how to hold the button for a couple seconds to turn it off, page 131 in the owners manual. Boy do I feel stupid. I just kept scrolling it back and forth...duh.
instead of watching vid’s I wanted to do it myself. Don’t know how many times I’ve scanned through the manual but it just didn’t sink in.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
345 Posts
Be careful, it will come up really quick. It wheelies so much faster and easier than my 2018 DCT did. It doesn't wheelie like KTM Dukes will but it makes a good account of itself in this department. Once you get it going in first, just tap the upshift buttons and you can wheelie for a LONG ways. On a closed course of course... :devilish:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Recommended in my youtube today.
They are already doing it in Paris. Is this CGI? How does the front wheel stop turning like that.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
235 Posts
Be careful, it will come up really quick. It wheelies so much faster and easier than my 2018 DCT did. It doesn't wheelie like KTM Dukes will but it makes a good account of itself in this department. Once you get it going in first, just tap the upshift buttons and you can wheelie for a LONG ways. On a closed course of course... :devilish:
I used to ride wheelies on bicycles for a hundred yards, even making turns. I never really tried on a motorcycle. I appreciate the warning of how fast it will come up. I figured it would come up fast just based on how snappy the throttle by wire is. It’s nearly got me in trouble a couple of times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts