Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2021 AT and ATAS DCT stalling Issue

21589 Views 101 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  BumpyRider
I just wanted to have a feel for how many of you are experiencing the random DCT stalling issue at low RPM situations?
Is this an extensive issue or only a small handful of the bikes are experiencing this for the Model Year 2021?

Please sound off.

Thanks.
61 - 80 of 102 Posts
Update: I took my bike in to Honda service specifically for stalling with just shy of 1 year ownership. They stated Honda is aware of the issue but has no definite correction. The service person stated Honda wanted my bike in their service dept for about a week to do and run many checks and procedures under Honda's technical department directions.
Yeah after months of trying to make a case for this they’ve asked me to do the same, feels like they’re becoming aware on some level. I always mention they should just check out this forum.

The really frustrating this is we know they marketed the 2022 as having refinements to first and second gear that were originally reported as ‘reducing stalls and smoother throttle response’ - I asked the ADVrider writer who posted that news item where he got that info and he said it was a Honda press release. But never saw that language again.

DCT reset never got rid of it for me. But like you, only 2x in the past 4000 miles. I mean dang in a technical environment If it it was manual I would probably stall the bike myself plenty of times - as I keep telling them tho getting rear ended by urban traffic is the concern here. Heck I’d even be happy if the bike knew it was stalling and could put on the brake light
See less See more
Reactions: 1
BTW I’m curious about something - what octane fuel are those of us experiencing the stalling issue using? It’s nearly impossible to find anything less than 10% ethanol around my area. The 2021 users Manual doesn’t specify an octane anywhere other than a sentence saying to follow their guidance lol, and I’ve been putting 91 in it maybe stupidly.
In the UK we use E10 and E5 and im wondering if The situation is different with the two fuel variations?
BTW I’m curious about something - what octane fuel are those of us experiencing the stalling issue using? It’s nearly impossible to find anything less than 10% ethanol around my area. The 2021 users Manual doesn’t specify an octane anywhere other than a sentence saying to follow their guidance lol, and I’ve been putting 91 in it maybe stupidly.
I just checked the 2022 Owners Manual, it said explicitly to use 86 Octane (PON) or higher. It's a low compression engine; and so, it would be a waste of money to use higher octane gas.
Low compression engine also usually meant that the engine is more durable.
I'm sure it's in the 2021 manual as well. Look under the Refueling section.

Font Rectangle Circle Number Parallel
See less See more
** PLEASE reference this thread when communicating with Dealer/Honda **

I would suggest that those of you who are communicating with your dealer and/or with Honda about this issues, please provide the link to this thread so they can examine what others are encountering since this thread is kind of a consolidation of (almost) everything together.
In the UK/EU the manual states this.

Font Rectangle Line Circle Number
Font Automotive tire Audio equipment Terrestrial plant Circle

I think 87 PON that the North Americans use is the same as 91 RON that we use.
See less See more
I think 87 PON that the North Americans use is the same as 91 RON that we use.
Yup, RON (UK & EU) numbers are always higher than PON (North America).
I just checked the 2022 Owners Manual, it said explicitly to use 86 Octane (PON) or higher. It's a low compression engine; and so, it would be a waste of money to use higher octane gas.
Low compression engine also usually meant that the engine is more durable.
I'm sure it's in the 2021 manual as well. Look under the Refueling section.

View attachment 72156
Yeah you’re right I checked this is in the 2021 manual
In Portugal we just have 95 and 98 gasoline...
Update: I took my bike in to Honda service specifically for stalling with just shy of 1 year ownership. They stated Honda is aware of the issue but has no definite correction. The service person stated Honda wanted my bike in their service dept for about a week to do and run many checks and procedures under Honda's technical department directions.

I commute every day possible on my AT and this is prime riding season so we agreed I'd bring my bike back in the Fall where they could have my AT for a long'ish duration.

Also my hopes are by end of summer Honda HQ has a better idea of what the solution actually is.

Also fwiw, and I'm not 100% convinced its related, but since doing that DCT reset my bike has not even hinted at stalling. It's been running and shifting well. 6702 miles atm.
Hey BumpyRider what happened as a result of Honda’s intervention? I’ve had my bike at a dealer for two weeks and other than a discussion by the case manager with the dealer manager, the techs were given no info or resources on what to examine.
Thanks for posting this, this is how I found out instead of from the supervising case manager and yep I’m on the recall list.
Any UK guys vins work? Mine just keeps getting error unknown vin.
I get this on the UK site and on the USA one it says 0 Recalls, that is for the Vin for my current and also my previous DCT's. I suspect it may just be a North America recall at the moment but it probably needs someone that has the stalling issues in the UK to try and see.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Paper product
See less See more
I get this on the UK site and on the USA one it says 0 Recalls, that is for the Vin for my current and also my previous DCT's. I suspect it may just be a North America recall at the moment but it probably needs someone that has the stalling issues in the UK to try and see.

View attachment 74954
Not sure about bikes outside the US; whether they are affected or not. Based on that article, it sounded like a firmware programming issue for the Control Unit causing the dropping of inter-component comm. But, it is specific to a some of the control units.

Here's the skinny for what is happening:
  • a faulty firmware bug produced an erroneous piece of data
  • Control Unit (CU) was not programmed to handle this scenario
  • CU "panicked" and resets itself
  • causing the communication bus to drop connection to CU
  • DCT detected the comm drop and releases clutch (I'm assuming to Neutral)

Just so you guys know, real-time programming for firmware is not an easy thing due to the timing-constraints. Honda can fix it and I hope they don't behave like BMW.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Not sure about bikes outside the US; whether they are affected or not. Based on that article, it sounded like a firmware programming issue for the Control Unit causing the dropping of inter-component comm. But, it is specific to a some of the control units.

Here's the skinny for what is happening:
  • a faulty firmware bug produced an erroneous piece of data
  • Control Unit (CU) was not programmed to handle this scenario
  • CU "panicked" and resets itself
  • causing the communication bus to drop connection to CU
  • DCT detected the comm drop and releases clutch (I'm assuming to Neutral)

Just so you guys know, real-time programming for firmware is not an easy thing due to the timing-constraints. Honda can fix it and I hope they don't behave like BMW.
If such a scenario like above was happening, then the system design should have never passed Honda's validation and verification. I would suggest the "CU" was not properly unit tested and that is a fail on the firmware team. It truly is unacceptable ... such case scenarios are not tolerated in the medical domain, so that should be a good enough standard of care for a vehicle controlling component.
  • Helpful
It is now official on the American Honda Powersports website ...

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot
See less See more
Looks like the error is permeating other DCT models as well ...
Below is from a UK Goldwing DCT owner.

Font Material property Paper Parallel Document
See less See more
Not just DCT here, manuals also recalled.
Not just DCT here, manuals also recalled.
... as some Forum members have complained / claimed over the summer.

Good talk this Forum.
61 - 80 of 102 Posts