Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 ATA, 2020 Wing Tour, 1977 Wing
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was adding a battery tender cable to my 2021 ATA and noticed there was no tool kit in the box in front of the battery. My 2017 came with the tool kit under the battery cover. There is a couple of tools under the seat. one being an allen wrench to open the battery cover. I called the Honda dealer and they said it's not included. I wanted to know if anyone here has opened the battery cover and did it have tools.

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
I was adding a battery tender cable to my 2021 ATA and noticed there was no tool kit in the box in front of the battery. My 2017 came with the tool kit under the battery cover. There is a couple of tools under the seat. one being an allen wrench to open the battery cover. I called the Honda dealer and they said it's not included. I wanted to know if anyone here has opened the battery cover and did it have tools.
In my new 2019 AT "toolbox" and like many other North American Forum members: A Philips-like screwdriver, a plastic fuse puller, and a cheesy vinyl pouch. This is not a tool kit by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course, under the saddle was the useful Allen key wrench.

·
Premium Member
2021 ATA, 2020 Wing Tour, 1977 Wing
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the 21 the screw driver, fuse puller and Allen wrench are under the seat. There are no tools in the tool box battery cover. I have a set of tools I carry with the bike. I was just wondering if the dealer left the tools out during make ready.

·
Registered
681 Posts
On the 21 the screw driver, fuse puller and Allen wrench are under the seat. There are no tools in the tool box battery cover. I have a set of tools I carry with the bike. I was just wondering if the dealer left the tools out during make ready.
The tool kit only appears to be supplied with the bike if you live outside North America. It is in the parts diagrams and can be ordered. It appears Honda feels the owners already have the necessary tool kit, a plastic card with a bunch of numbers and his or her name on the front with three more digits on the back. It does not appear we North American riders are considered competent where tools are involved.

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin DCT
8 Posts
The tool kit only appears to be supplied with the bike if you live outside North America. It is in the parts diagrams and can be ordered. It appears Honda feels the owners already have the necessary tool kit, a plastic card with a bunch of numbers and his or her name on the front with three more digits on the back. It does not appear we North American riders are considered competent where tools are involved.
Yeah, another cost cutting measure🙁

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
279 Posts
My 2020 ATAS ES DCT did not even come with a vinyl pouch. The tools are under the rear locking part of the seat. A cable for locking the helmet is tucked in off to the side. The Allen wrench, cheesy screw driver, Allen wrench for opening the pretend tool box. Someone turned the tool box into an accessory socket holder (sorry, I cannot remember who to give them credit for the idea). I carry in the saddle bags a good tool kit, air compressor, tubeless tire plugging kit, emergency flasher, a forehead mounted light, duct tape wrapped around a pen, JB Weld, chain cleaning brush, and O-ring chain lube. That will never fit in a tool box! On my older Hondas I received tool kits and only used them in the shop doing maintenance. I did put a USB device in that tool kit which has a digital copy of the Operators manual and shop service manual. The good news is a Honda has never needed more than a primary fuse, a new battery, or a tire plugged when I’ve been out on the road.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
404 Posts
Nope... 2021's don't even come with the lousy pouch; just the 5mm allen wrench, double ended screw driver, and a fuse puller.

You pretty much have to build your own tool kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts