Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

When you get too decrepit to ride two wheels would you consider a side car, or something else?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
. He bought a AT DCT, but not the adventure sport. I tried to convince him to pay extra for the AS, but he didn't listen to me, and now he is regretting it. I'll try to find out what the companies name is.
@JamesRL1972 , words of wisdom. I thought pretty hard about just converting my 2017 standard w DCT over to a sidecar rig. I finally decided that there were enough features with the ATAS, combined with the slight extra power of the 1100 to swing me over to buying the new bike and customizing the car/bike combo. I am hoping this is something I buy once, and am happy for a long time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Is there intent to perform some offroad with the sidecar? e.g. Ural-like exercises?
Absolutely... the goal is for it to go places I might not take a 2 wheel bike.

So far, design specs will retain or possibly enhance the factory suspension travel with the combination of Ohlins shocks and leading link front end design. Woody's wheels might be a little tougher than the factory rims, from what I read, at least.

So yes, I want it to be able to go off the beaten path with impunity.

·
Super Moderator
8,627 Posts
Absolutely... the goal is for it to go places I might not take a 2 wheel bike.

So far, design specs will retain or possibly enhance the factory suspension travel with the combination of Ohlins shocks and leading link front end design. Woody's wheels might be a little tougher than the factory rims, from what I read, at least.

So yes, I want it to be able to go off the beaten path with impunity.
... like this for example:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Helmet Vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think they'd consider it a high tech change, but they do have alot of "inertia" as far as "If it ain't broke..." goes. Most of their changes over the past 5 years have just been paint colors. Admittedly, there is alot to be said for a bike that you can still fix with basic tools, baling wire, and duct tape in the middle of nowhere, or carry a single spare tire/wheel/tube and use it in any location on the bike.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: Beowulf

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@Beowulf: Which front tire type do you plan to use?
Lacing up some fairly stout Woody's 4.5" x 18" rims all the way around, then will start out with Mitas E07 Dakar tires 150/70 - 18 at all three points. I decided that I like the tread pattern on the back of my red bike, so will use it on front, back, and sidecar wheel, only with the stiffer Dakar sidewalls. Tubeless, of course!

I suspect that there will be some fooling around with the front speed sensor ring, to get the rotational speed difference accounted for after the front becomes an 18" rim. The OD of the 18"E07 is actually with in 2 inches of the 21" 90/90 factory tire, so it may be a non issue. Jay, over at DMC says that he can fabricate a new sensor ring, with the right number of holes to make things work, if we need to do so.

Rear tire size remains the same, so maybe Speedo will be happy, if not, Speedo Healer to the rescue.

·
Super Moderator
8,627 Posts
Lacing up some fairly stout Woody's 4.5" x 18" rims all the way around, then will start out with Mitas E07 Dakar tires 150/70 - 18 at all three points. I decided that I like the tread pattern on the back of my red bike, so will use it on front, back, and sidecar wheel, only with the stiffer Dakar sidewalls. Tubeless, of course!

I suspect that there will be some fooling around with the front speed sensor ring, to get the rotational speed difference accounted for after the front becomes an 18" rim. The OD of the 18"E07 is actually with in 2 inches of the 21" 90/90 factory tire, so it may be a non issue. Jay, over at DMC says that he can fabricate a new sensor ring, with the right number of holes to make things work, if we need to do so.

Rear tire size remains the same, so maybe Speedo will be happy, if not, Speedo Healer to the rescue.
So reasonable to assume then no dark-siding? :LOL:
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So reasonable to assume then no dark-siding? :LOL:
View attachment 67331

Thought about it, but finally decided to stick with bike tires. Still checking to see what is available in something like an 150/80 - 18, for a little more diameter, but will stick with the bike tires for at least the first set.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Ok, first project activity/update since buying the 2021 AT AS ES DCT for the conversion to a hack rig: Still waiting to transport the bike up to DMC, in Seattle, but thought while I waited, I would add the Eastern Beaver PC8 power panel for the many required farkle power. Also wanted to add an SAE battery tender lead that can act as a power takeoff for a heated jacket liner that I decided was finally necessary, after many years without heated gear.

Thought process:

The rig will have two 6v gel cells in series in the sidecar, to replace the Li Ion battery that is currently installed in the normal battery spot. The factory battery will be deleted, with the battery box essentially becoming a junction box to run heavy cables from the new batteries to power the bike. The gel cells will provide plenty of reserve power for camping accessories and the winch that will be installed on the sidecar, etc. Also provide a little less "dead battery" fear for a DCT that can't be bump started.

I had installed an Eastern Beaver PC8 on my 2017, when new, so was reasonably familiar with the drill. Two main differences, this go around.

1. Bought the version that he calls "Power Link" that gives you a connector that can disconnect the entire accessory panel, and act as a jump start point, should you happen to buy the accessory cable that is designed for that function. I did not pick up that extra-cable, because I will likely put a BMW style jumpstart connector over on the hack, once I get it back from DMC. So for now, the powerlink is just an extra connector that may or may not serve any use in the future.

2. The pick up for the switched power/relay now plugs into the license plate light connector. You can see the tail that has two small white connectors on about a 3 inch strip of wire shown at the top of the photo, below. This plugs into the white connector for the license plate light, then the wire to the lights plugs into the extension connectors. Pretty easy. This is what it looks like, without the powerlink connector between the battery leads.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Cable Electronic device Electrical supply

I also bought the "long" version of the kit, to have the cable length to mount the PC8 panel towards the back of the bike, under the pillion seat. There is a very convenient flat spot on the fender liner where it fits well in this configuration. This spot may have been left from the factory for an alarm or immobilizer device. If you were going to use it for that, then you could install the PC8 farther forward. It would just be a little more cramped.

Next, I removed seat and the rather pathetic little "tool box" to expose the battery and the area to fish the power leads to the battery. I removed the plastic trim by the left side of the seat, as well, for a little more visibility. Hindsight says that this was not really necessary, but maybe it made it a little easier to feed the wires behind the frame, down to the battery holder.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Since the battery will be deleted in the very near future, I did not bother with 90 degree cable ends that might have made it easier to retain the tool box. I just pulled the "box" portion of the hinged plastic off, and stowed it away. The "lid" portion bolts to a couple of points, and provides the appropriate cosmetics. Incase you were wondering, the battery box is not a sealed unit to begin with, so swim with caution.

Below is what the "Powerlink" connector looks like, prior to plugging the rest of the EB PC8 harness into it.
Hand Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Finger

Pic showing the relay (that I later unbolted, since it interfered with the seat), and the two main fuses for the switched and unswitched power circuits. I kind of wish he would have made the unswitched circuit the same wire gauge as the relay circuit. It would have made jumpstarting through this circuit a little less chancey.

30 amp fuse for the relay circuit, with heavy (maybe 12 awg wire.)

20 amp fuse for the unswitched circuit, with maybe 14 awg wire.)

You can also see the SAE plug that I added in for the heated jacket connection, towards the bottom of the pic.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

PC8 circuit board, prior to installing fuses. Perhaps it would have been better to come into the PC8 with power and ground from the other side, but such is life. I picked this orientation for some level of convenience in cable routing.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive exterior

1. Frame ground for SAE connector for heated jacket connection (yeah, there is a star washer under the connection tab.)
2. 15 amp fuse on heated jacket SAE plug.
3. Hot side of SAE connection, on BAT Terminal coming into PC8 (always hot.)
4. Hot wire, fused 20 amps, from BAT, feeds (2) unswitched fuse circuits.
5. Hot wire, fused 30 amps, from Relay, feeds (6) switched fuse circuits.
6. Ground wire to Bat negative
7. Negative connections available from PC8 for individual circuits
8. Positive connections available from PC8 for individual circuits

Note: Fuse values installed in the panel are mostly random, at this point. Correct values for accessories will be swapped into to the individual circuits, as they are used.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Finished, prior to seat reinstall.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

At this point, I called it a day, and went for a ride.

I contemplated installing my newly acquired Scott X series oiler, but couldn't find a super convenient place to hang the reservoir, so decided to defer that installation until luggage rack or maybe a sidecar mount magically appears and solves that issue. Worst case, the left passenger foot peg mount has some potential, but it was hard to get excited about that location.

So now the bike is "ready" to go up north for the sidecar build/install. It also has convenient power for heated gear, while I ride it around the mountains in anticipation of it's departure.

So this PC8 install isn't strictly sidecar related, but it is the first step in this AT's journey to becoming a hack rig. I hope the pics are of use to anyone wanting to put a PC8 on a post 2020 ATAS. The Eastern Beaver site instructions are pretty much non-existent, so maybe the pics will help someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Baby steps... So got 800 miles on the new bike for the tug. Decided to get an oil/filter change done on it, just in time for it to head north to Seattle. Wanted it done, so if the stars align, I can ride it back to Arizona after the build is complete, with that already taken care of.

Also removed the bash plate and it's mounting brackets, since it will not be used in the build.

Items of note: I think Godzilla installed the factory spin on oil filter. In about 50 years of wrenching on almost all brands that roll the earth, I have not had one stuck on so badly. Thanks Uncle Soichiro! I had the correct wrench, and it just rolled the corners in on the factory filter. I finally had to resort to a big pair of channel-lock pliers to deform it and twist it off. Sheesh...

Replaced DCT filter, as well. No drama.

Some pictures below, incase anyone a has not pulled their bash plate off on an 1100.

Removed plate and the bracket it attaches to on the upper left...
Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive tire Crankset Brass instrument

New oil filter is not torqued to 100 ft lbs!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Alloy wheel

Dual drain plugs... looks like the oil pan could be removed without taking the engine out of the frame. Now there is an oddity for Honda.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Bumper

Left the little part of the bash plate that acts as a heat shield on the exhaust in place. Sidecar frame will replace factory bash plate, though.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Next minor update: The 2021 ATAS is now on its way up to DMC Sidecars in Seattle. Jay mentioned he is now doing 3 in parallel, and has this will make a total of 9 Africa Twins that he has fitted with sidecars.

Almost had a tear in my eye, watching that bike leave for what will be months...

Happily the 2017 is still in the garage to make me smile again, today, on a ride out in the desert!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts