Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

When you get too decrepit to ride two wheels would you consider a side car, or something else?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
@Beowulf - If you have a dog I hope to god it gets goggles 😆

Great video! Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just saw this one up on Craigslist:

Would definitely have explored it, if mine was not already in work, at the same builder. Spoke with the seller; he is selling it for a friend whose wife evidently wasn't compatible with it.

Here are some pics to imortalize it, after the CL ad gets taken down:

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a leaning sidecar. Had the same problem getting the rig and I grossly underestimated the build. Took an extra year to build. I did the build myself after buying the car and frame. I had to build a subframe for it to mount to, had the tub and frame lineX’d with the top half of the car painted to match my bike.

I was intending to ride to Alaska last summer with my dog but my dog stepped out when the lash point released (I think the vibration and my dog stepping on it allowed it to come out). My dog dislocated her elbow but was otherwise fine. She was wearing Doggles which were completely destroyed but she only had a tiny cut on her eyebrow. Literally worked like a helmet and saved her head.

A leaning sidecar has some extra complication, the big one is the suspension reacts to the sidecar. My bike was starting a death wobble at freeway speeds. I have since added a steering damper, progressive springs on the front, a progressive and adjustable rear shock with a taller stance and it has made it rideable, but it is a different beast when riding.

The main advantage is there are only two mounting points and a power cable: makes it easy to take on and off so I still have a proper Africa Twin for off-road trips. It isn’t so easy to do that I would take it somewhere and drop off the sidecar but with my garage tools it’s about 15 minutes on or off.

Congrats on your build! It is quite the adventure in building a trike and you did a more stable option. I had wanted to avoid changing my tires but that didn’t avoid problems on my end.

One other note, I mounted a hammock stand that folds away to put a hammock tent on the sidecar. It allows me to sleep in “trailer only” parks, have options in marshy areas (Alaska has a few) and I still have a ground tent that easily packs.

Cloud Sky Dog Dog breed Ball

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Cloud Sky Dog Dog breed Ball
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I did a leaning sidecar. Had the same problem getting the rig and I grossly underestimated the build. Took an extra year to build. I did the build myself after buying the car and frame. I had to build a subframe for it to mount to, had the tub and frame lineX’d with the top half of the car painted to match my bike.

I was intending to ride to Alaska last summer with my dog but my dog stepped out when the lash point released (I think the vibration and my dog stepping on it allowed it to come out). My dog dislocated her elbow but was otherwise fine. She was wearing Doggles which were completely destroyed but she only had a tiny cut on her eyebrow. Literally worked like a helmet and saved her head.

A leaning sidecar has some extra complication, the big one is the suspension reacts to the sidecar. My bike was starting a death wobble at freeway speeds. I have since added a steering damper, progressive springs on the front, a progressive and adjustable rear shock with a taller stance and it has made it rideable, but it is a different beast when riding.

The main advantage is there are only two mounting points and a power cable: makes it easy to take on and off so I still have a proper Africa Twin for off-road trips. It isn’t so easy to do that I would take it somewhere and drop off the sidecar but with my garage tools it’s about 15 minutes on or off.

Congrats on your build! It is quite the adventure in building a trike and you did a more stable option. I had wanted to avoid changing my tires but that didn’t avoid problems on my end.

One other note, I mounted a hammock stand that folds away to put a hammock tent on the sidecar. It allows me to sleep in “trailer only” parks, have options in marshy areas (Alaska has a few) and I still have a ground tent that easily packs.

View attachment 71195
View attachment 71197 View attachment 71195 View attachment 71196 View attachment 71197
View attachment 71196
Nice looking rig! The LineX looks great for keeping paint chips down to a minimum.

I contemplated a "leaner," but decided I might like the fixed mount for more off road. Time will tell.

I did not spec in a steering damper, but may add one if it seems appropriate. Not a fan of death wobbles; had an ancient Kawi H2 that specialized in them!

I like the idea of a hammock stand, sounds very practical. Would be nice out in the AZ desert.

My build keeps getting delayed; wheels are the current hold up. Woody's is experiencing supply chain delays that have had my rims back-ordered since January. I am trying to wait patiently...

·
Super Moderator
8,627 Posts

View attachment 71195
View attachment 71197 View attachment 71195 View attachment 71196 View attachment 71197
View attachment 71196
Very, very cool @Skishades.

That is pretty awesome to see - seems to be a popular thing to do these days.

Welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin DMC Expedition Sidecar Rig
6 Posts
I ordered my Expedition Sidecar from Jay at DMC back in May 2021 and finally took delivery of it in late March 2022. I had it installed at a Wing and a Chair in Monroe NC. Doug did an awesome job with the install. My wife and I have been out every weekend in the North Georgia since we brought her home.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
My rig only has forward gears, but it is surprisingly easy push it backwards.
@Hazenator, awesome looking rig, congratulations on getting it on the road! Glad to hear pushing backwards isn't too bad. I kind of wondered about that.

I had started to imagine installing an automotive ring gear on the inside of the hack wheel with some sort of Japanese auto starter as a motor/bendix to engage a reverse. Am really hoping that is not needed though.

Have you had the rig off of pavement yet? How does it feel? How is cruising down an interstate at those type of speeds?

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin DMC Expedition Sidecar Rig
6 Posts
Thank you guys. The ride is very solid on road but have not had the opportunity to take it off road. So far, Linda and I have not taken it on the interstate yet, but have mostly driven it on two lane country roads in the north GA mountains to Dahlonega and Helen. You definitely work your arms and shoulders turning it.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts