Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own 2021 AT L1 DCT.

When I come to a stop (faster than usual) and want to move back quickly, the engine sometimes stalls... (ON DCT) on the 1st gear at a very low speed, and I have to hit start again.. :/ So annoying… Let me know if you have similar situation with your 2020-21’s L1 DCT...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not understanding this. How can you roll backwards if your bike is in-gear?

·
Super Moderator
6,768 Posts
Using your feet, I presume. If you switch into [DCT] neutral, it is actually easier. So being "in gear" must factor in some how.

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never said that :/
The engine sometimes stalls at the lowest speed on the 1st gear. Figured it’s very common on the AT family.
Using your feet, I presume. If you switch into [DCT] neutral, it is actually easier. So being "in gear" must factor in some how.
I don't have a quick shifter... I whether use the S1 or button shifters in M mode...I am not sure if that would be the factor, but AT has indeed different character...

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,124 Posts
So at a very hard stop it stalls and in order to to restart the bike you need to cycle the kill switch on and off?

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So at a very hard stop it stalls and in order to to restart the bike you need to cycle the kill switch on and off?
No, I just hit the start and run the engine…
I hear this issue is “reduced” on the new 22’ models by adjusting the 1st and 2nd gear responses… as Honda announced

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting ... one of the main reasons for getting a DCT is that it is un-stallable.

1. Is this a natural behavior reported by other 2021 AT or is there something wrong with your AT ?
2. When it is stalled, is it in gear or Neutral? If it is in gear, it would be exactly like a non-DCT bike, and you can drop the bike easily because a geared bike has a pivot point for tilting when it has a fwd momentum.

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting ... one of the main reasons for getting a DCT is that it is un-stallable.

1. Is this a natural behavior reported by other 2021 AT or is there something wrong with your AT ?
2. When it is stalled, is it in gear or Neutral? If it is in gear, it would be exactly like a non-DCT bike, and you can drop the bike easily because a geared bike has a pivot point for tilting when it has a fwd momentum.
yes, DCT shouldn’t be doing stalling, but it does. My bike doesn’t have issues so far… as I mentioned earlier, I discovered that many DCT owners have been sharing their stalling issues. It doesn’t happen regularly as well… here and there alike. Very annoying but I am sure after receiving many cases, honda will come up with a solution, such as; recalls or dct updates maybe? Etc etc…

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm wondering if there are steps that you know of that can stall it at will or is it random?
If you can track down on the steps to re-create the stalling then you have a case to report to your dealer and show them how to stall it.
That way, there will be evidence for them to troubleshoot with Honda corporate (USA/Japan) and see if there is a real solution.

A properly working DCT should not stall --- that's what DCT is all about. From what I have read so far, the ones that did usually had some technical issues that need to be dealt with. People are reporting that DCT can stall in their first ride while the ECU is trying to learn the correct idle speed. No other stalling should occur once that is completed.

There was a one off case in 2016 with a DCT failure and Honda replaced the bike.

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm wondering if there are steps that you know of that can stall it at will or is it random?
If you can track down on the steps to re-create the stalling then you have a case to report to your dealer and show them how to stall it.
That way, there will be evidence for them to troubleshoot with Honda corporate (USA/Japan) and see if there is a real solution.

A properly working DCT should not stall --- that's what DCT is all about. From what I have read so far, the ones that did usually had some technical issues that need to be dealt with. People are reporting that DCT can stall in their first ride while the ECU is trying to learn the correct idle speed. No other stalling should occur once that is completed.

There was a one off case in 2016 for a DCT failure and Honda replaced the bike.
Yes I know, and I am very aware that DCT should not be doing it, but many DCT owners have been facing with stalling issues (after deep searching on groups etc) DCT is an automatic transmission that should not stall at all...

There isn't one thing I am doing and it stalls, it is random... but what I have discovered is, as you come to a stop, quicker than your usual, and want to take off quickly as well, those moments have more possibility for a stall. Those moments are the ones also the engine rpm goes down quicker for it to pick up to accelerate without delivering any hiccups etc to rider. I also owned NC700X DCT, and it was so awesome in terms of its stability, however, comparing to AT's DCT, I can clearly state that the AT's DCT is functioning a little worse...
does that make sense?

As you mentioned, I am currently doing my best to track of it, and find where exactly it does stalling... also the stalling issue started at the 17' models and further... very annoying...
which year of the AT do you own?

·
Registered
36 Posts
[...]
which year of the AT do you own?
I do not own an AT at this moment (see my signature), I'm considering the DCT version for the 2022 and doing heavy research and exploring at the moment.

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not own an AT at this moment (see my signature), I'm considering the DCT version for the 2022 and doing heavy research and exploring at the moment.
They have announced that the 22 has less issues at the low rpm's...which is reduced stalling chance, but no guarantee for no stalling at all... either way, I love my AT and it is a versatile bike...Have you test drove it?

I will just go to the service to talk about it sometime soon... maybe Honda would do recalls for a part or they might upgrade the DCT software...

·
Super Moderator
6,768 Posts
Over 14000 clicks on the 2019 model and no stalling under the full spectrum of use cases so far. I am hoping stalling doesn't become an issue.

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Over 14000 clicks on the 2019 model and no stalling under the full spectrum of use cases so far. I am hoping stalling doesn't become an issue.
I hope so too... but there are many people have been dealing with stalling since 2017 models.. arghh...
If I have any solution or update, will share it here as well...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Besides oil temperature, I have also read that DCT is sensitive to a loose chain. I wonder how much truth is there in this one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious ... did you do the DCT Initialization procedure?

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
359 Posts
My bike is a 2020 model I have no stalling. I did make a couple of emergency brakes so that even the abs is clicking but no stall at all. Could it be that it occurs by using only the front brake and that EMU is also looking to the status of the rear break and wheel speed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No expert - still reading the manual which is 10 times thicker than my old triumphs! - But is it a stalling issue or cutting out issue? Takes you in different investigative directions. Eg carburation (I'm older and bikes were more basic) or the known kill switch problem (maybe tracking dust movement under heavy braking) I had on my recently acquired 2017. Don't know if ever truly fixed (I'd rather see separate physical start and kill switches) although fair play to honda they did replace my kill switch FOC this year. I think the kill switch was responsible for some of those early forum stallng reports. Maybe another line of investigation?

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My bike is a 2020 model I have no stalling. I did make a couple of emergency brakes so that even the abs is clicking but no stall at all. Could it be that it occurs by using only the front brake and that EMU is also looking to the status of the rear break and wheel speed?
Interesting point. I use both brakes and mostly engine brake…

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No expert - still reading the manual which is 10 times thicker than my old triumphs! - But is it a stalling issue or cutting out issue? Takes you in different investigative directions. Eg carburation (I'm older and bikes were more basic) or the known kill switch problem (maybe tracking dust movement under heavy braking) I had on my recently acquired 2017. Don't know if ever truly fixed (I'd rather see separate physical start and kill switches) although fair play to honda they did replace my kill switch FOC this year. I think the kill switch was responsible for some of those early forum stallng reports. Maybe another line of investigation?
I am certain that it is stalling issue 😕
But I heard about that kill switch problem. After taking my bike to the service, will update here, if I have any issues or not…

1 - 20 of 28 Posts