Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12v power port that is not working and after removing the front end have found that the 2 wires (green & yellow) go straight to the harness above the battery and i have been unable to locate any fuse? I verified all fuses under seat are good as well as the 2 on the right side. Any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
1000 or 1100?

Edit, just saw title :rolleyes:
There is a 10 amp fuse if I recall, for cornering lights and accessory socket.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
Is there definitely no power at the accessory socket? Might be the device you are plugging it that has the problem, often they have internal fuses in them.
If the cornering lights are working (can be tested via the settings) then it could be the plug/socket just below the accessory socket has come apart or maybe wires not crimped in properly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When you are checking the socket, are you using the ground in the socket ?
Maybe use the battery negative.
If your fuse is in tact and cornering lights are operating, my bet is your socket has a ground issue maybe

·
Registered
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
7 Posts
@Cowboytexastom , have you figured this out yet?

I have the same issue with my 2022 AT AS. I killed the accessory outlet while using it to power a pump to inflate the tire. The fuses under the seat all look good but I'm not getting any power to the accessory outlet.

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
@Cowboytexastom , have you figured this out yet?

I have the same issue with my 2022 AT AS. I killed the accessory outlet while using it to power a pump to inflate the tire. The fuses under the seat all look good but I'm not getting any power to the accessory outlet.
I hope there is no a secondary fuse inline with the socket behind the cowl. That would be an inconvenience. The model year wiring schematic would reveal that.

Welcome to the Forum @Texas. There likely be an answer with a Forum member with a late model ATAS.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a 12v power port that is not working and after removing the front end have found that the 2 wires (green & yellow) go straight to the harness above the battery and i have been unable to locate any fuse? I verified all fuses under seat are good as well as the 2 on the right side. Any help will be greatly appreciated
I am not familiar with the wiring on the 2020 and newer. Is there any chance that is one of the features that may have to be activated from the display menus?

·
Registered
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
7 Posts
There is no secondary inline fuse. The green wire is ground and leads to the ground spider, the yellow wire goes to fuse H, which as @Hood indicated is the 10A fuse for Corner Light/ACC.
I'm probably missing something obvious but I the "Corner Light/ACC" fuse is not it. I pulled it out and check it visually and with a continuity meter, and I used the service mode to verify both corner lights are working.

The wires come out of the bottom of the accessory plug, go through a small connector, and into a harness with a bunch of other wires which runs off into the middle of the chassis. There's no inline fuse in that first portion of the cabling.

At this point I'm stumped. Looks like I need a service manual (currently out of stock). Any other ideas???

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
The wire comes from the fuse into the harness then there is a join and one wire goes to cornering lights and the other the socket, this is in the harness, the negative wire is similar in that it joins inside the harness before exiting to the ground point on the frame.

With the ignition off you could try a continuity check between the fuse and the centre part of the socket and see if that is ok and then the same for the negative between the body of the socket and battery negative. If any of them does not have continuity then check again at the connector on the harness side. If that shows no continuity then you could stick a pin or needle through the wire insulation and test the continuity again. If that is ok then likely a bad crimp, if not then sounds like an issue inside the harness, either a broken wire or maybe even not joined seeing as how there are now two reports of this issue.

·
Registered
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
7 Posts
Continuity between the accessory port shield (negative voltage) and the frame is good. There's no continuity between the accessory port center contact (positive voltage) and the fuse box. I used the pin method to continue check continuity of the yellow wire (positive voltage) as far as a could, but that wire gets bundled up with a lot of other wires and wrapped making it hard to trace it very far.

There are two wires connected to that fuse on the bottom of the fuse box. I'm assuming one is the Corner Lights and the other is the Accessory socket. Based on wire colors I can see that the yellow wire from the accessory port does not make it all the way directly to the fuse box, so there's at least one junction or connector somewhere inline but it's very difficult to tell where that is without tearing the bike down further and unwrapping the bundles which would be a massive job and seems like the wrong approach at this point.

I'd really like to know where the junction or connector is in the positive voltage line for the outlet.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions. If you can think of anything else to try I'd love to hear it.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
The wiring diagram shows it to be further away than directly at the fuse but that doesn't mean much I suppose. If the bike is still under warranty I would get a dealer to fix it, if not then the easiest way would just be run a new positive wire. Personally I think I would be pulling the tape and finding the fault but as you say that could be a lot of work.

Wiring diag below showing the joint.

Rectangle Font Line Slope Material property

And a couple of continuations of the drawing.

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Symmetry

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Line Font

·
Registered
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
7 Posts
The actual wire colors and diagram don't exactly match my bike which makes me wonder if something changed on the '22.

I have a trip coming up next week and I don't feel good about tearing into it before then. Also, the bike is still under warranty but the dealer can't get to it this week. So, it looks like I'll have to live without the port for now. Will report back when I do find out what the issue is (eventually)

Thanks @Hood for the effort!

·
Registered
48 Posts
With my CAN Bus BMW GS, the ECU had the capability to turn off power to an accessory circuit if it detected what it deemed an unsafe load. The only way to reset the power to the circuit was with a GS-911 device that plugged into the diagnostic connector and had ability to clear error codes. I wonder if our Africa Twins are designed the same way.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
With my CAN Bus BMW GS, the ECU had the capability to turn off power to an accessory circuit if it detected what it deemed an unsafe load. The only way to reset the power to the circuit was with a GS-911 device that plugged into the diagnostic connector and had ability to clear error codes. I wonder if our Africa Twins are designed the same way.
Don't think it can be anything like that as the fuse used for the socket is also for the cornering lights and they are still working.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Texas based on your observations, I would be running a dedicated power line to the accessory socket with its own fuse to fix this problem. Opening up the wire harness to find the fault carries a significant risk of creating more problems and it will be much less labor to run a dedicated line. On my 2021 AT, I installed an Eastern Beaver 4 circuit accessory harness with 14 gauge wire and individual fuses for each circuit under the seat. I only use the 12V socket for my Garmin GPS and all other loads such as tire pump, fog lights, etc are connected to the Eastern Beaver circuits.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts