Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
409 Posts
Not according to this.

But would love to know if it is from an official source or ...
this is a official source

Honda R&D Technical Review e-Book Site
  Research paper site of Honda R&D Co., Ltd.
here you can read a technical review of honda products you can read what the background during development of products. I have send them a email 1 month ago today I go this answer.

For dealers there is a website where they can download the files. Possible the dealers don,t know this or it cost them too much time to do a software update. I owned a BMW car and my dealer update the car when I brought it for a yearly maintenance. It took 4 hours because it needed to be connected with a server in Germany. I now drive LR and this one does it OTA take 30min.

·
Registered
597 Posts
R&D mean "research and development"

Reactions: Smitf

·
Registered
597 Posts
It take 8 to 9 minutes directly over the SCS connector , may 3-4 minutes more for a DCT version.
As those are euro5 IUPR , the VIN it´s in the ECM , so no need to add it manually .....

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
322 Posts
So, now we need to know of someone with a CRF 2020 -1 who gets hold of firmware version 3.3 and actually and successfully got to install it.
I just hope, wouldn't understand if not, that Honda has enough pride on arguably one of their premium models to promptly release the software update.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So, now we need to know of someone with a CRF 2020 -1 who gets hold of firmware version 3.3 and actually and successfully got to install it.
I just hope, wouldn't understand if not, that Honda has enough pride on arguably one of their premium models to promptly release the software update.
3.3 software it´s for the MID , I already wrote ; how and what , cannot tell you when cause for every country they gonna to decide what to do.

Reactions: Cuddles

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
322 Posts
3.3 software it´s for the MID , I already wrote ; how and what , cannot tell you when cause for every country they gonna to decide what to do.
OK, I'm lost.

And I do fear the current potential behavior of my DCT on stops and 1st gear (love it the rest of the time), because I have had some pretty scaring experiences so far.
What I meant is that I would really want to have the revised settings on my bike and if is just a software update of whatever I think it should be made available by Honda, either as a download you can apply by yourself or by taking the bike to the dealership if necessary.

·
Registered
AT DCT XADV CT125
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
What mode do you ride in Ponzan.?

I would advise Urban mode ( less power) rather than tour and change to S1 , together they work in harmony until such time we/they “being” tuners can work out if it can be done.

In the interim do you have any DCT buddies that could check out your bike for you.?

The DCT is a concept that you have to adapt to rather than other way round, quite simply the system is genius however if you can learn those misforgivings Then the benefits become great!

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
322 Posts
What mode do you ride in Ponzan.?
I have discussed that previously and at large on several other posts. It seems to be an issue for at least some riders or bikes. I haven't try other bikes.
I do use a low power user mode on slow city transit (3) and extreme precautions, rear brake, etc.
DCT plus it's long travel suspension are the main reasons I got and won't trade the AT, but still gives me scares. Other people here had decided to gave up on the bike, several have reported being injured and experienced serious accidents because of that. It's for some reason that the most important change other than cosmetic in the 2022 models are on the DCT tuning on stops and 1st gear. And if it's just a software update in my humble opinion it should be made available to the survivors of the first CRF1100 generation.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You had already the DCT and ECM resetted with the oem bosch tool?

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,234 Posts
@Ponzan I had very jerky control at slow speeds on mine, shutting throttle jolted the bike like hitting the brakes, same turning off cruise control etc, I couldn't keep a constant low speed as it jerked back and forth all the time. Initially I put this down to me being absent from bikes for 25 years and I just needed to get used to things but from further reading it seems some AT's are like that and others are not. Could be like @Ghostrider.1127 says and an ECM reset would help, I have not had that done, I did try the DCT reset as described in the manual but it made absolutely no difference.

I saw mention of throttle spacers so decided to try bits of plastic to shim the grip and it transformed the AT for me so I made up proper spacers. I have sent three sets out to people for testing, one for a 2018-1019 model and they made a slight difference but not huge which was disappointing. The other two are for 2020-2021 models but I am waiting for feedback to see if they made a difference on them. Hopefully they will make as much as a difference as they did for me but time will tell.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@Hood , you did a DCT soft reset from the bike , you will need to try an hard reset from PC. Dunno if will help for this sort of problem ( i have no such issue), but try it not that difficult . I will be also interested to buy some spacers from you.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,234 Posts
@Hood , you did a DCT soft reset from the bike , you will need to try an hard reset from PC. Dunno if will help for this sort of problem ( i have no such issue), but try it not that difficult . I will be also interested to buy some spacers from you.
How do I go about that? I presume it will need to be done by the dealer.

Regarding the spacers, I would like to wait for feedback before I make a batch up, assuming the feedback is good but I could send a set out if you don't want to wait as I made a couple of spares for both 2018-2019 and 2020> PM me your address if you would like to try now rather than waiting for results.

·
Registered
597 Posts
exactly

Reactions: Hood

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi All

As promised ive had a quick ride of my new steed which arrived today.

If anyone has ridden a X ADV, this is how much better it is, the gearbox on the X ADV is “i would say” is perfect hence they haven’t changed any-gearbox settings in the 2022 XADV.

So Driving in Drive Mode which i wouldn’t normally do as it changes gear too early as feels like it was labouring too much, now it changes further up the rev range. I would suggest it revs another 150RPM ish just to make it noticeable and more rideable and 50% less labouring which matches perfectly with RPM and Road speed.

Also when riding up through the-gearshift in D , second is more like a click into second with a tiny jolt, and after that the gear change is almost not “feel able” being super smooth.
Significantly smoother than a good manual gearbox ( non dct) change

Ok so up to 60mph and i now let the bike slow down all the way to 5 mph on its own, the bike just clicks down through the box and second to first is 50% smoother than before and they have definitely cracked the jerkiness code. YES!!:)))

Before it used to hang onto the gears a little too long in “low gears then jump down a gear causing a jolt.

S1 mode, again ridden carefully not aggressively is virtually the same as D mode however the revs are higher and VERY smooth.
In S1 mode. It clicks into first, second is click and a very small jolt, i mean very small, it feels like they have shortened the 1-2 gap 2nd to 3rd is a click and no jolt whatsoever as are all the other gears.
Overall for me it was definitely worth the change.

i cannot detect any other changes such as slow to draw down main screen and the settings being backwards.

love this new bike and an absolute pleasure to ride slowly, havent had a chance at the higher speeds as running in but the gear change smoothness wasnt an issue here.

LOVE IT!!
right on I have the 2022 base dct traded my 2020 base dct... the 22 is far and away much better...

61 - 80 of 84 Posts