Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
28 Posts
I had a 2014.5 KLR and rode it all over the place. Cheap, durable and not half bad off road.

I always wished they would update it with about 50 more Horsepower and more torque. Long highway runs in the wind caused it to use a lot of oil.

I am about 750 miles in to my new 2017 Africa Twin. It’s the bike I always wished for while riding the KLR.

I’m glad to see the KLR back, but disappointed that the engine seems to be the same. It probably still drinks oil at anything over 70 mph.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 2014.5 KLR and rode it all over the place. Cheap, durable and not half bad off road.

I always wished they would update it with about 50 more Horsepower and more torque. Long highway runs in the wind caused it to use a lot of oil.

I am about 750 miles in to my new 2017 Africa Twin. It’s the bike I always wished for while riding the KLR.

I’m glad to see the KLR back, but disappointed that the engine seems to be the same. It probably still drinks oil at anything over 70 mph.
Fortunately I never had the oil issue but I agree with you on it needing more horse power. I may still have one if it did. The reliability and inexpensive and ease of maintenance made it a great first adventure bike.

Would I go back? No. After 12,814 miles (so far) on my ATAS I found my ride.

But am I sentimental about the KLR? Yes, absolutely.

·
Administrator
2,478 Posts
I have never owned a KLR 650, but I certainly have an appreciation for the bike. I am also glad Kawasaki has remained in the game. That KLR 650 Adventure looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
486 Posts
There was those thoughts, whether or not kawasaki was gonna release a twin., something along the lines of the t7. I never owned a KLR. Almost bought one a few times.... have friends who ride them. I never once had to wait or abort a ride or trip because of a failure on one. Always seemed like a willing bike to adventure on.

I wonder how many people got into riding because of a KLR, or got into dirt from one. I like the new bike. I won't be buying one, but kawasaki really seemed to keep its ethos in tact. I'm glad it exists and I hope it will continue to help folks get a chance to experience 2 wheel travel. As a venerable icon, I was sad when it was discontinued. I hope they sell the crap out of em.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
109 Posts
I too came from a 2001 KLR650 as my latest bike before my 2019ATAS . The best thing about the KLR650 was that is was relatively unchanged for such a long time. Parts, fixes and any upgrade were available because someone else had the same issue or feeling about the bike. I am also very, let's say, frugal. I really liked the amout of diy mods that could be done to the old KLR. I am sure this model will sell well but I really wish they fit a modified versys engine in it and adapted the timing. Highway riding that old single was never much fun. Capped out at about 140km doesn't leave much umph to pass or get out of a sketchy situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had 2 x KLR650s over the years.
First nearly 30 years ago after I passed my test & the 2nd picked up brand new as was buying a house at time & Kawasaki were doing it on 0% finance & was looking for something for not a lot of money at time. Great bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I too came from a 2001 KLR650 as my latest bike before my 2019ATAS . The best thing about the KLR650 was that is was relatively unchanged for such a long time. Parts, fixes and any upgrade were available because someone else had the same issue or feeling about the bike. I am also very, let's say, frugal. I really liked the amout of diy mods that could be done to the old KLR. I am sure this model will sell well but I really wish they fit a modified versys engine in it and adapted the timing. Highway riding that old single was never much fun. Capped out at about 140km doesn't leave much umph to pass or get out of a sketchy situation.
My motto when riding KLR is: Drop three gears, and slowly move faster. Passing on the KLR is like a game of chess. Every move has to be planned out well in advance and you better hope nobody interrupts that plan. I still love my KLR and won't sell it, but it doesn't get used as much.

As for oil consumption, mine was even rebuilt under warranty at around 5000km and still sucks down about 500ml in a full day of moderately aggressive riding.

I'm stoked they brought it back the way they did, otherwise it would be just a name.

That being said, aside from the radiator stranding me in Baja, the **** thing has chugged 100,000 hard kilometers without a mechanical isssue to be had. The thing even survived a bear attack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts