Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
SBI I'm thinking fuel mapping or something similar and not the transmission is causing the stall. So doing the transmission thing probably won't help you. Stalling on takeoff, especially if you need to turn immediately ain't a good time for the stall to happen.

reinitialazating the transmission does not effect the ride or change the shifting at all on my DCT GW. It just smooths it out.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
55 Posts
If the **** thing hadn’t stalled once in 1000 miles while taking off from a red light at about 2 mph of throttle input I wouldn’t want to touch a thing on the programming.
I don't ride a DCT but that single incident "may" have been something other than the DCT firmware (e.g. fuel, etc.)

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100L DCT
3 Posts
So they heard the biggest issue that came with the 2020 updates; the jerky throttle at stops and low speed...
Just hope that came as refined dct programming settings that may be applied to the 2020 and 2021 models by a firmware update, it's a safety issue not just a luxury refinement
I agree with you. My 2020 1100l DCT exhibits the same low speed. Annoying but a safety issue. I also note the idle RPM surges about once per second like a diesel hunting on the governor. This cannot be correct and is likely a demonstration of the deeper issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I passed on a 2020 1100 last year & picked up an NOS unregistered 1000 on a 20 plate. The cornering lights on the ATAS 1100 are hideous (in my opinion) & too much tech now. I’m 55 with 30 years + motorbiking under my belt so not that old but feel all these so called rider improvements (with the exception of ABS) take away from the simple joy of riding a motorbike. I don’t see anything in the latest carnation that would tempt me to change bikes at the moment. If anything just tempted to stick with what I have indefinitely now

yes - ok - I’ll just jump back in my time machine 🤣🤣
I am 74 and love my 2021 ATAS DCT! I just returned from the Sturgis Rally. The 1100 loves running at 80 mph from Rapid City to Wall on I-90! I hope the DCT improvement is just a internet download to my bike. This is my first DCT so I do not know why the improvement is needed, but I want to stay with the flow. My first Honda was a new 1963 CB77 aka Super Hawk, followed by many Hondas, a BMW R1200GS and a Yamaha FJR1300ES. To a 16 year old the CB77 was fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
I am 74 and love my 2021 ATAS DCT! I just returned from the Sturgis Rally. The 1100 loves running at 80 mph from Rapid City to Wall on I-90! I hope the DCT improvement is just a internet download to my bike. This is my first DCT so I do not know why the improvement is needed, but I want to stay with the flow. My first Honda was a new 1963 CB77 aka Super Hawk, followed by many Hondas, a BMW R1200GS and a Yamaha FJR1300ES. To a 16 year old the CB77 was fantastic!
Awesome @Smithw3. Feels good, huh?

Welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100L DCT
3 Posts
Surely they've fixed all the 2020+ production issues by 2022.... Surely... :LOL:
I would not bet on all the fixes being done. 2021 was a year of discontinuities for Honda and all manufacturing. The assembly plant in Kumamoto had its' own share of issues, going back to the near destruction in the earthquake about 4 years ago. I had 3 Honda Civics with the fuel dilution of the engine oil before a real fix was finally implemented in 2020. The CRV also had severe idle vibrations for a couple of years before fixes after major news media showed the things shaking like a wet dog. Someone in this forum might be able to check the USA EPA approvals for the engine changes to the 2022. I think the software fix would have to receive EPA approval. My 2020 has an unstable idle, surging about 100 rpm in a steady way. Much like a diesel hunting on the governor. This is wasting fuel and is an EPA item I think, and is related to the low speed upshift/downshift irregularity.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would love to see the DCT correction applied to earlier models, After all, it’s only software, surely? I have a 2021 DCT AT AS and at tickover, it’s doing 8 MPH! As a top heavy machine that makes it a complete bear to deal with in slow moving traffic. And pulling away from stationary is jerky at best. I’m 62 years’ old, my legs aren’t what they used to be and this characteristic means I increasingly hate my expensive purchase. I’m about to trade the bike for something more manageable... and it won’t be a Honda. But if they can provide a software fix, I am willing to persevere.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would love to see the DCT correction applied to earlier models, After all, it’s only software, surely? I have a 2021 DCT AT AS and at tickover, it’s doing 8 MPH! As a top heavy machine that makes it a complete bear to deal with in slow moving traffic. And pulling away from stationary is jerky at best. I’m 62 years’ old, my legs aren’t what they used to be and this characteristic means I increasingly hate my expensive purchase. I’m about to trade the bike for something more manageable... and it won’t be a Honda. But if they can provide a software fix, I am willing to persevere.
I find dragging the back brake usually works well in that situation. It is against all we older riders were taught before the DCT came out. It seems to be the DCT equivalent of slipping the clutch. If I were to switch back to a hand clutch it might be hard to decide between Honda's Africa Twin and Harley's Pan America.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find dragging the back brake usually works well in that situation. It is against all we older riders were taught before the DCT came out. It seems to be the DCT equivalent of slipping the clutch. If I were to switch back to a hand clutch it might be hard to decide between Honda's Africa Twin and Harley's Pan America.
I’m with you on the Pan America, it’s a really well put together motorcycle. I will be honest and say that for me, the DCT is proving to be difficult to deal with. In fact, I have gotten into situations which I consider to be downright dangerous as a result of the drive train and this is putting me off Hondas altogether. The throttle is just too sensitive, even a slight touch sends the bike moving forward and with no ability to slip the clutch, I increasingly believe my bike will kill me one day. It is a big issue for me which is destroying my love of motorcycling, Honda need to fix this.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
212 Posts
I’m with you.. I have gotten into situations which I consider to be downright dangerous as a result of the drive train... The throttle is just too sensitive, even a slight touch sends the bike moving forward and with no ability to slip the clutch, I -do- believe my bike -might- kill me one day. Honda need to fix this...
darn right!!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
Honda should maybe consider an option parameter in the menu system to scale the throttle sensitivity. Example:

x1 : Current factory setting
x2 : Twice the range, or half the sensitivity
x4 : Four times the range, or a quarter the sensitivity (not sure if many would use this setting, but who knows?)

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
@Elfen may be a stupid question but what kind of gloves are you using? My personal experience was the same before too sensitive throttle then I change to thin summer gloves and put my little finger around the balance ring and hold that in place when I move the throttle with the other part of my hand. That was much better I tried the setting HSCT on 1 and WB on 1 it was stil possible the give a little bit controlled power. If you have summer gloves in combination with heated grips you have no cold hands( most people where winter gloves and the surprised the heared grips are not working well). But I agree with you it would be better that you can make a seletion of the sensitivity of the throttle. Maybe is Honda reading this kind of posts.
suggestion There are here over 10k users on this forum if Honda [email protected] or after sales will communicate with the moderator of this forum then we as user know that Honda received our points or complains and Honda can give a feedback to the users here via the Moderator. Now we all want to what the update of DCT is but nobody can give an answers also the dealers don’t know anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In theory, with a bit of reverse engineering and a PIC chip or something you could put a module inline to intercept the encoder (I'm assuming it's an encoder) readings and output a different curve. Anyone a handy EE?

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
212 Posts
As to the present moment what I'm doing to restraint the slow speed and stops extreme jerkiness is to use a low power User Mode; with Power at 3 blue marks, as in Off Road mode but for normal city riding with on road ABS. That really moderates the beast behavior on a daily basis and in S1 mode is not too shabby either.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts