Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
@Elfen may be a stupid question but what kind of gloves are you using? My personal experience was the same before too sensitive throttle then I change to thin summer gloves and put my little finger around the balance ring and hold that in place when I move the throttle with the other part of my hand. That was much better I tried the setting HSCT on 1 and WB on 1 it was stil possible the give a little bit controlled power. If you have summer gloves in combination with heated grips you have no cold hands( most people where winter gloves and the surprised the heared grips are not working well). But I agree with you it would be better that you can make a seletion of the sensitivity of the throttle. Maybe is Honda reading this kind of posts.
suggestion There are here over 10k users on this forum if Honda [email protected] or after sales will communicate with the moderator of this forum then we as user know that Honda received our points or complains and Honda can give a feedback to the users here via the Moderator. Now we all want to what the update of DCT is but nobody can give an answers also the dealers don’t know anything.
Oh, I've used summer gloves, winter gloves, wet gloves... you name it. Frankly, the DCT control is in dire need of improvement, to have an idling speed that is a slow running pace is just ridiculous. It only takes a slight wobble or bump in the road to cause the rider to lean to the right, at which point the only available brake is the front one. And as a consequence of the high CoG, the whole bike tips over to the right and the bars lock. I have never encountered this difficulty with a manual gearbox but it's happening all the time with the DCT, to the point where i am becoming frightened to go out on the bike. I am certain this bike will kill me if I continue with it, Honda really need to improve the DCT control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As to the present moment what I'm doing to restraint the slow speed and stops extreme jerkiness is to use a low power User Mode; with Power at 3 blue marks, as in Off Road mode but for normal city riding with on road ABS. That really moderates the beast behavior on a daily basis and in S1 mode is not too shabby either.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I am profoundly disappointed with my bike. It's such a handsome machine and I will admit it was this that led to me choosing it, but now I've ridden it I believe the DCT to be downright dangerous. It is such a disappointment, after lockdown and a really bad Covid experience I had hoped my new AT would help me to rebuild my life. It seems not.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
212 Posts
@Elfen: I hope it helps enough for you for the time being. I understand and share your frustration and wariness about this. I still love the bike though and hope we can get some sort of solution via a firmware update over the DCT settings.

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
As to the present moment what I'm doing to restraint the slow speed and stops extreme jerkiness is to use a low power User Mode; with Power at 3 blue marks, as in Off Road mode but for normal city riding with on road ABS. That really moderates the beast behavior on a daily basis and in S1 mode is not too shabby either.
I slip into Urban Mode (leave it in S1) and let my body weight bog down the beast during low speed onroad.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
Maybe the moderator can open a poll here for all the DCT riders who find the the throttle is too sensitive.
If it are a lot of people then it will may be possible to get in contact with Honda directly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It’s pouring with rain here right now but as soon as it’s clear again I’m going to experiment with the settings and see if it gets easier to live with.

Don’t get me wrong, at normal road speeds the DCT is a delight to live with. And I absolutely love the looks of the machine, it’s just so handsome. But with my old legs, low speed manoeuvring is extremely precarious, if I can’t solve this the bike’s going to have to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
****, this thread has me slightly worried as I bought my '21 ATAS DCT for the dual purpose of commuting in heavy NYC traffic on the weekdays in addition to ADV riding on the weekends. Hoping I don't come to regret choosing a DCT over the MT for riding through stop-n-go traffic.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
212 Posts
As said, is you feel uneasy in slow heavy traffic I found you may try a low power mode. It's working for me at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As said, is you feel uneasy in slow heavy traffic I found you may try a low power mode. It's working for me at least.
Well, as you’ve bought the bike I’ll be interested to hear your feedback. I’m a sixty two year old bloke, maybe in my younger days I could have dealt with the AT DCT more easily? Certainly, it takes good balance and a lot of muscle to ride properly, it may be that I am the problem, not the machine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This will be my first experience ever with a DCT bike; I'm just hoping that I can find an adequate replacement for feathering the clutch in heavy traffic or situations where I'm looking to intentionally move/inch forward at a very slow pace. Bought the bike sight unseen and have never rode a DCT before, so will be educating myself with the basics on how to even use a DCT to begin with over the weekend in anticipation of delivery next week!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
I find Urban Mode is adequate in slow speed traffic congestion, plus maybe use of rear brake, when required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my 4th year on a GW DCT Tour and the times I have found myself in heavy stop and go traffic the DCT is a HUGE plus! No constant in and out on the clutch. Now having a top heavy AT to deal with and a short inseam to boot, that might make it another story. But you're going to have to get a foot/feet down both with a manual or the DCT. So having one less thing to worry about with the DCT and no clutch would be a plus????

·
Registered
106 Posts
****, this thread has me slightly worried as I bought my '21 ATAS DCT for the dual purpose of commuting in heavy NYC traffic on the weekdays in addition to ADV riding on the weekends. Hoping I don't come to regret choosing a DCT over the MT for riding through stop-n-go traffic.
Kamber I’ve got the same bike and other than NYC pandemic traffic being absolutely insane bumper to bumper, I have no issues with riding it in NYC traffic, riding across Seven Lakes to top of Bear Mountain, two up camping along the Hudson valley, and getting way off road in the Pine Barrens (ok sandy mud sucks but what can you do). Like DoubleThumper in the city I’m in Urban S1 and fine throttle control hasn’t caused me any issues at all. The only times I’ve whiskeyed is losing control while standing upright going through deep sand or mud. Yes it’s a sensitive throttle, learn to cover rear brake or the e brake at stops, and you can always throw it neutral with push of a button. As for not having a clutch for technical stuff 1) you don’t stall where others do 2) you can hold the rear brake load for power for all sorts of fun with abs off. Other than its width for lane filtering I find it a wonderful bike for all these different styles which is why I got it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is my 4th year on a GW DCT Tour and the times I have found myself in heavy stop and go traffic the DCT is a HUGE plus! No constant in and out on the clutch. Now having a top heavy AT to deal with and a short inseam to boot, that might make it another story. But you're going to have to get a foot/feet down both with a manual or the DCT. So having one less thing to worry about with the DCT and no clutch would be a plus????
I definitely recommend the low seat for shorter legs. I don’t like how it compresses knees on long road rides but all other trade offs worth it. Even for dabbing with the heavy fuel tank up top.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kamber I’ve got the same bike and other than NYC pandemic traffic being absolutely insane bumper to bumper, I have no issues with riding it in NYC traffic, riding across Seven Lakes to top of Bear Mountain, two up camping along the Hudson valley, and getting way off road in the Pine Barrens (ok sandy mud sucks but what can you do). Like DoubleThumper in the city I’m in Urban S1 and fine throttle control hasn’t caused me any issues at all. The only times I’ve whiskeyed is losing control while standing upright going through deep sand or mud. Yes it’s a sensitive throttle, learn to cover rear brake or the e brake at stops, and you can always throw it neutral with push of a button. As for not having a clutch for technical stuff 1) you don’t stall where others do 2) you can hold the rear brake load for power for all sorts of fun with abs off. Other than its width for lane filtering I find it a wonderful bike for all these different styles which is why I got it.
@SomeBadIdeas Thank you for the post, that is some awesome perspective and I'm very grateful to hear it! My ATAS should be getting delivered next week at long last, very excited to be back on two wheels after a 5 year hiatus.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts