Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2022 Ride Alaska

16K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  SoonerRider 
#1 ·
Hello All

Anyone planning a trip to Alaska in 2022? I would love to go. Have several iron butt awards!

#2 · (Edited)
I’m noodling a ride to Dead Horse in ‘22. PM me for contact info.

For reference, I just completed the COBDR which is covered on the Forum here:

I will be coming from Mooresville, NC. I’ll probably ferry Ol’ Red out west before starting the trip. I’m also planning to avoid Canada and take the ferry from northern WA state to AK. I have also acquired an IBA number and license plate plaque. Check out the details here:

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Hey,

I'm still getting use to this bike but loving it. All previous riding was sport and standard bikes, so dirt and gravel still spook me. That and 17 years off bike while raising kiddos. I came to Alaska in 2001. Been here most of the time since. I'm happy to help as much as I can. I'm currently stationed on Prince of Wales Island but with some notice, I can bid for vacation to join part of this trip.

I have close ties with shops in Fairbanks and the community.

Please let me know what I can do to help. If things work out right, I'm planning to head south to Rawhyde next summer.

Chris

#7 ·
Musher - welcome to the post. We are targeting June 2022. I also have close ties in Fairbanks and it will get to meet-up. At this point we have 3 riders from the USA main land. Willy above in this post, a friend of mine (Glenn) from Colorado Springs and me. I would like to hold this to 6 or less and I have another friend here in Colorado considering the trip.

I plan to start hold planning meeting, via zoom, once a month in Jan 2022 and more as we get closer

This is going to be a great adventure!

#10 ·
Will be doing a San Diego to Deadhorse, Ak late June early July 2022 though CA, OR, WA. In Canada will be on the #1 and 97 to AK then to Fairbanks for new Tires before going up to Deadhorse.
Only issue is how much AUX Fuel to bring on the Dalton Hwy. Plan on leaving Panniers in Fairbanks and strapping fuel on rear seat for a dash to Prudhoe.

#18 ·
Bruce and I are leaving around June 11th for a return trip to Alaska from Ohio. I will be on a 2021 ATAS ES DCT, Bruce on his 2019 Goldwing Tour DCT with a dark side rear tire.

I will be headed up to Deadhorse while Bruce putts around Fairbanks for 3-4 days.

Hopefully the Canadian boarder rules don't change from the current rules in place. Have the ArriveCan app loaded and ready. Not liking the restricted Canadian boarder entry points but that's the least of the issues to deal with.

Still up in the air on tires for the AT. Currently have the OEM Karoo streets on the bike and don't want to run them up the haul road. Questions are: Run the OEM's to Fairbanks and change tires to a 50/50 tires? But the 4,000 mile run back to Ohio will be on tarmac and "most" 50/50 don't run as well on wet tarmac and hydroplaning in a decent rain becomes possible. OR but on a 80/20 or 70/30 tire before departure and run them round trip? They will probably be shot when I get home and put the streets back on, since they only have 2K on them now. Decisions decisions.

Guess we'll have to put an Itchy Boots sighting watch on here! She is still in South America now, so I doubt she gets that far north during our trip. But she's headed to Alaska and even named her bike Alaska. I'd buy her a tank of gas if I see her fueling up. Maybe not in California!!! $$$ LOL

#17 ·
Hello Fellow Riders

Here is what I have as of today.....

Ferry is scheduled at Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska - be careful you are on the correct site as there are a ton of spammers looing to take your money

We are looking at arriving at July 16 at the Ferry in Bellington and then Arriving in Alaska at Whittier on July 21 - cost of a motorcycle is $3,272 - book soon both ways. This is the only trip up in July

We have the help of an Alaskan State Trooper for guidance and route planning. At a high level here is the plan:

1. July 21 - ride to Anchorage - about 60 miles of coast line. We will plan 2-3 rides, 1-2 days in length

2. On or about July 27th will will head to Fairbanks (about 6 hours) via Talkeetna. Talkeetna is about 2hrs from Anchorage and it is a great place to stay - one of the highlights the last time I was in Alaska. From Fairbanks we will plan 2-3 rides, 1-2 days in length. Fairbanks to Seward via the Hwy 2 to Hwy 4 at Delta Junction to Hwy 1 at Glen Allen. If we go the distance this is our longest day at 11 hours. If we stop in Anchorage it is 8 hour day. More details later. From Seward there are a number of things including some great Ferry rides in the Kenai Fjords National Park. We can also plan 1-2 day rides for those with the drive to ride on! We MUST be back to Whittier NLT morning of Aug 8. There is a Ferry on Aug 5th if we get back - the next Ferry on 8/22

3. We MUST be back to Whittier NLT morning of Aug 8. There is a Ferry on Aug 5th if we get back - the next Ferry is 8/22

4. From Bellingham down the I5 to Burlington and take Hwy 20 west and cut over to 101 at Discovery Bay and go west on 101. My goal it to ride as much of Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 as possible. Depending on conditions we may have to find alternate routes south and there is always the I5. Cut over to Red Bluff and take the I5 to Sacramento.

5. For those of going west, we will Hwy50 to Tahoe and then on to Reno. I80 to Salt Lake and drop down to I70 and Colorado here we come

I have not planned the stops for the return trip, as you can see. I would like us to be flexible and have a relaxing trip on the way home

I'm open to suggestions and I will start weekly planning meeting the first week of May - if you wait until then to buy your ferry tickets it will most likely be too late. PM me you emails and I will set up zoom calls for our planning sessions - let me know what evening works best and pls include your time zone

Looking forward to a great trip

#29 ·
Started the Alaska trip on June 13th and we are now in Dawson City. Headed for the Top Of The World highway tomorrow, Chicken and on to Tok. Road construction today was a lot, long and somewhat dusty. Lots of large deep ruts left by the equipment. The AT ate them up. Lots of fresh chip seal in several places. Pots holes are numerous and you hit a big one wrong at speed and it will ruin more than your day.
Weather permitting, Deadhorse run starts Saturday or Sunday.

#30 ·
BREAKING: Don't plan on coming to Alaska on the Alaska-Canadian (Alcan) Highway for the rest of the year... The only road to Alaska open is the Stewart-Cassiar Highway that follows the western Continental Divide up the Rockies and it is rustic.... You can also take the Alaskan Marine Highway from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK but most sailings are booked. This is the Laird River (Laird Hot Springs) that overshot its banks...and took out the Al-Can...
Plant Bedrock Natural landscape Slope Watercourse
Water resources Plant community Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.