Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! This is my first post I'm hoping you guys could help give me some advice.
I'm looking at either getting a AT or the new 250l rally.
Has anyone on here ever owned a 250l and the AT? I know they are quite a bit different animals.
It seems obvious the AT is 10 fold better on road vs the 250l.
For off road worthiness does any one have any input? The off road riding I do is on the east coast US so dirt and mud, rutted trails. Are they comparable off-road? Is it worth the extra money for the AT? Most of my riding on road is 55mph zones the the 250l is plenty for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I could put it differently if you had both bikes and had easy going trails within an hour away that you'd like to ride. Which bike would you take?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The are both great bikes but it's like comparing a screwdriver to a wrench. For single track use go with the 250.
For the hour ride to the trails go with the AT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments I appreciate it. I decided to go with the 250 this year and then get the 17 AT next year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a wr250r a couple bikes ago, and it was a lot of fun. I didnt know honda was doing this 250 rally bike, I am very interested in how it turns out. There's a lot to be said for a light bike. I never thought I'd own a bike as big as the africa twin, and while I do love it, this 250 rally is quite appealing. I ended up with the AT assuming that I'd be doing a lot more touring, but since that hasnt happened yet, if this 250 rally ends up being a decent commuter I'd strongly consider it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a wr250r a couple bikes ago, and it was a lot of fun. I didnt know honda was doing this 250 rally bike, I am very interested in how it turns out. There's a lot to be said for a light bike. I never thought I'd own a bike as big as the africa twin, and while I do love it, this 250 rally is quite appealing. I ended up with the AT assuming that I'd be doing a lot more touring, but since that hasnt happened yet, if this 250 rally ends up being a decent commuter I'd strongly consider it.
Same for me with owning the big AT. I went with it because I thought I would be riding with my daughter a lot.

I looked at the KTM EXC 500 (The bike I really wanted) but the maintenance really killed that. If you are looking for a 250 the WR250R is the choice IMO. It is a better dirt bike than the CRF250L. I will be looking at a 250 in a couple of years (would look back at the 500EXC but the wife would probably want to kill me... more. Because she will want to kill me anyway for buying a 3rd tagged and insured motorcycle... I also have 2 cars... but I digress).

I assume (Ass-u-me) the CRF250 Rally will be a worse CRF250L; Same power, Same suspension, More weight, Riding on the road is not its strong suit. It does look Bad A$$ though.

I WANT (and with the current market it does not make sense to me why it does not exist) a CRF450 Rally or 500 or 550. KTM is the only company that makes anything close to this. BUT I need the 8,000 mile oil change intervals. ****... I am off topic again...

What was this thread about?...

·
Registered
884 Posts
I own both, although I haven't been able to ride the AT yet. Bought the CRF250L last summer. It's a fantastic bike. Fun, fuel efficient and gives you the opportunity to go offroad with ease. It's good on the highway but has just enough oomph to get you there - best suited for side roads and dirt/gravel roads.

I think if you wanted a more 'trailie' kind of bike the 250 is much more manageable (350 vs 500+ pounds). It's also a lot cheaper if you have a wreck or spill.

I'm not comfortable or skilled enough as a trail rider to take the AT to that limit and also uncomfortable with ruining at $15,000 + bike. Take one for a ride. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, thats the other factor for me, the 250 being much cheaper is a strong consideration to how I would choose to use it on and off the road. I definitely find myself questioning anything I do with the AT a little more with the little voice in the back of my head going "you spent a lot of money on this, dont screw it up." I did just see that Kawasaki is bringing a Versys 300 to the states this year, but it looks like I'd have the same problems with it that I did with the NC700X, its a road bike first, that looks like an adventure bike. I dont know, I thought I'd never need another bike when I got my AT, and I'm still super happy with it, but then I see these little 250's and remember how much fun they were to ride. I think I have a problem.

I own both, although I haven't been able to ride the AT yet. Bought the CRF250L last summer. It's a fantastic bike. Fun, fuel efficient and gives you the opportunity to go offroad with ease. It's good on the highway but has just enough oomph to get you there - best suited for side roads and dirt/gravel roads.

I think if you wanted a more 'trailie' kind of bike the 250 is much more manageable (350 vs 500+ pounds). It's also a lot cheaper if you have a wreck or spill.

I'm not comfortable or skilled enough as a trail rider to take the AT to that limit and also uncomfortable with ruining at $15,000 + bike. Take one for a ride. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That 'little' voice has become a much bigger voice as I get older.
I think there's a lot to be said for the l'il 250 as far as versatility. Plus it's a little pack horse and with racks you can load it up and it still handles very well. The suspension is surprisingly good for such a small bike.

... the little voice in the back of my head going "you spent a lot of money on this, don't screw it up."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts