Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding an 18 ATAS and I'm looking for a recommendation for Dual Sport front tire recommendation. I ride mostly 75% roads and the rest is State Forest trail riding. I'm mostly concerned with front stability/ traction when the trails get muddy ( which is a lot ) without losing too much performance on road, cornering, braking etc, and in the rain ..
I'm looking at a couple of different front options from Pirelli and Continental.
Settled on the MOTOZ Tractionator GPS for the rear but read their front tire blocks dont clean the mud out very well becoming slick, not what I want at all.
Can anyone offer comments on their experience and make a recommendation ? Thx from Pennsy..

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use the TKC-80 on the front and I"m happy enough with its performance both on the seal and on the loose stuff, as well as how well it is wearing on the seal, that I'm happy to replace it with another one the same when the time comes.

On a previous bike (DR650) I ran a Mitas E07 on the front which I liked on the sealed roads, but I never really liked in on gravel or dirt or anything other than seal - it just wasn't aggressive enough. The TKC-80 seems just as good on the seal and is wearing at least as well, but I feel much better when I need to brake on gravel with the TKC-80 up front.

The TKC-80 is available in a TT (Tube Type) or TL (Tubeless) which is great for the AT running tubes or in my case, converted to tubeless. I asked a local bike shop to get me in a Mitas E07 rear TL tyre and a Continental TKC-80 front TL tyre, they are working great with my factory rims converted to tubeless.

I wouldn't recommend the E07 rear if you ride in the mud a lot. It is OK in the mud, but definitely not great. The TKC-80 rear might be a better option as a mud tyre, just realise it wont last as long.

·
Registered
223 Posts
TKC 80 is a great50/50 front tyre, relatively quiet & grips well in both wet & dry not like the noisy motoz tractionator, I wish my tractionator would wear out so I can go back to a TKC 80 front, I might even pull off the tractionator even tho its only done a 1000k's because the noise is driving me mad,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another vote for the TKC80 front, it is an excellent 50-50 tyre and the best of all the knobbly tyres on wet tarmac. It also lasts very well, I took the last one out after 9K miles on all types of roads, including a trip to the Morocco dessert last Easter, and it still has quite some more left. I have combined it with Pirelli STR, TCK70 and TKC80 in the rear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've tried the Shinko 804 and the TKC80 and prefer the TKC80 slightly because it tracks a little better in the loose stuff, imo.

Oddly, I like the way the bike handles on the pavement better with the either of those tires as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
And another TKC80 front user here. I bought it from others recommends and its fine on gravel and paved roads. Something no one is mentioning is the price. Its affordable. I still have low miles on mine but I like it and recommend as of right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
EO7+ rear. The “+” is important. Karoo 3 front. Karoo 3 is great for me but noisy. I’m the same ratio. 75/25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
I really liked the Michelin Anakee Wild for the front. Really good in gravel and pretty stable and reliable in muck/mud. I'm surprised by the longevity, too. It's still going after over 8,000 kilometres. Good value and performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts