Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shifted to 4th to let some pull over then sped up shifted to 5th gave more fual and it kicked down a gear on me...just a little creepy. Also it has happened 2 other times and I only have 2800 on it . Eney one have a similar issue ? if you do you should go to www.nhtsa.gov and file because honda don't believe me and won't even open it up and look .....boooooo

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
My (mostly undereducated) guess is a bent shifting fork. Have you had it to the dealership for the mechanics to have a test ride? If so, what was their opinion?

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I have it at grand junction
At All Sports Honda? The problem is that they probably won't do any work strictly as warranty, if they can't repeat it on a test ride. The downside of that, is usually by the time an intermittent issue becomes a more consistent one, more damage has been done and its a larger repair.

I am not really sure what your others options would be, other than to wait and see. Though I suppose if you feel strongly enough that there is definitely a problem, you could probably authorize payment to open up the tranny for inspection so that they can check for damage or wear to the shift forks, dogs or gears. If they do find something, then it becomes another matter as to whether or not they cover it under warranty or pass the buck to you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like they should find some evidence of an issue upon inspection, but you may have to authorize paying them up front to do the labor of opening it up.

Rounded off engagement dogs, can cause the bike to slip out of gear, particularly under the load of rapid acceleration. That may be what is going on with yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts