Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first decent ride on the bike, riding about 90 minutes and 75 miles. When I am riding very calm, the MPG computer is averaging 60mpg.

Is anyone actually consistently getting 55-60mpg?

I tend to be on the aggressive side with most of my riding, so I will be thrilled with 45mpg or so.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Last summer I took a long ride across the Sierra Nevada Mountains. For part of that trip I averaged between 56- 58 mpg. Mostly though I average 42-46 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I get typically 47 mpg U.S. of mixed riding, but on long flat runs I have gotten 56 mpg.

Once I babied it to get 60 mpg (3.9 L/100 kms).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Typically I get around 50 to 52 mpg on longer highway rides loaded down with gear for overnight camping, etc.

If I am casually bombing around town and such I can pull down upper 50’s but that is if I keep it under 65 mph.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Today was my first decent ride on the bike, riding about 90 minutes and 75 miles. When I am riding very calm, the MPG computer is averaging 60mpg.

I tend to be on the aggressive side with most of my riding, so I will be thrilled with 45mpg or so.
I get around 50mpg riding strictly in S3 and Manual, so 45mpg or so staying on the throttle should still net you that 45mpg+

·
Registered
412 Posts
I get around 50mpg riding strictly in S3 and Manual, so 45mpg or so staying on the throttle should still net you that 45mpg+
I use D or S1 most often. Average mileage seems to be 60 per imperial gallon or 51 per U.S. gallon. Better than my '73 750 Honda, a little bit less than my '94 Trophy 3. My 650 V-Strom seemed to be around 65-69 mpg(Imperial.)

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I use D or S1 most often. Average mileage seems to be 60 per imperial gallon or 51 per U.S. gallon. Better than my '73 750 Honda, a little bit less than my '94 Trophy 3. My 650 V-Strom seemed to be around 65-69 mpg(Imperial.)
So you are similar to where I am at with around 51 per U.S gallon. I figured with S3 holding the gear a little longer it would suffer a bit.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the mileage, but I do clearly remember hitting 11.9L/100km or 19mpg on the Alaska Hwy on the 1100. Two up, fully loaded and traveling at a ridiculously legal rate of speed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the mileage, but I do clearly remember hitting 11.9L/100km or 19mpg on the Alaska Hwy on the 1100. Two up, fully loaded and traveling at a ridiculously legal rate of speed.
Switch the display to instantaneous fuel consumption and watch the numbers when you move the twist grip to max. Fortunately for fuel consumption figures, you can't maintain that condition long and still stay legal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Switch the display to instantaneous fuel consumption and watch the numbers when you move the twist grip to max. Fortunately for fuel consumption figures, you can't maintain that condition long and still stay legal.
That was the realtime consumption. Maintained it at over 11.5L/100km for about ten minutes. I may or may not have exceeded the speed limit by a little or maybe a lot, but I have no memory of either exceeding or not exceeding said limit. Although I did get a ticket that day ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
So you are similar to where I am at with around 51 per U.S gallon. I figured with S3 holding the gear a little longer it would suffer a bit.
Sometimes it is not [lower] RPM that can conserve fuel, but having the engine operate in its most efficient rev range for a given load. It may be spinning faster, but it is actually working and wasting less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mines hit or miss some times I’m in the 40s I did a 1400 mile round trip ride last month and with the panniers and top box I got 36 lol

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
141 Posts
When I am riding very calm, the MPG computer is averaging 60mpg.
I WAS getting 56 mpg routinely, with 87 octane, when my bike was new in May.
Most riding was local back roads, and a bit of mild off-road, gravel.

As of now, I'm riding a "bit" more aggressively, and getting around 49-52 now.
I only noticed the drop though, when I started putting 91 octane in January.
That's odd, I think.

However, at times when I've run 70-85 mph for up to 200 hundred miles, mileage did drop.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Once I babied it to get 60 mpg (3.9 L/100 kms).
That was downhill with the engine turned off, correct. Mine will happily sit at 5.2 L/100 but with little effort you can see numbers starting with a 6 or 7 and if you pick a nice soft sandy trip 8s come into play, I dont know what that is in that other funny number system you use but it means you only get about 350km instead of the normal 500km.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
That was downhill with the engine turned off, correct. Mine will happily sit at 5.2 L/100 but with little effort you can see numbers starting with a 6 or 7 and if you pick a nice soft sandy trip 8s come into play, I dont know what that is in that other funny number system you use but it means you only get about 350km instead of the normal 500km.
Downhill is definitely a benefit, but that means the average drops to low 3.x L/100 kms.

3.9 is on flat highway, and/or a -1 degree bias downhill in some stretches, 80 to 90 km/h, 24C average air temperature, insignificant headwind, 5th or 6th gear, VStream N20058 windshield up 2/3rds on the Batzen adjuster, a relatively empty stomach, and a mostly full tank of fuel. This is more common than expected.

However, it is not the norm. Mixed urban traffic and spirited rural highway I am in the 5.0 to 5.2 L/100 kms range.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I log all my gas usage on ATAS and I am also a little hard on the throttle, my average mpg’s range between 42-45. I must say coming from Harley Davidsons this is a breath of fresh air riding this ATAS!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
These are some great MPG's I see on here. I usually get around 40 mpg and that is not even spirited riding. The best I ever has was 50 mpg going through the country side and the worst about 34.. I usually check my MPG every time I fill up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts