Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know where you are located but I was interested in possibly buying used rather than new. What I found was the 2018 leftovers were going for about the same as used 2017 or 2018 bikes in my area or at such a minimal difference as to not be worth haggling.

The changes for the 2018 vs the prior years are in the right direction. When I rode a 2017 and a 2018 the newer one seemed easier to rev and more responsive. For me the finer granularity of the traction control is an added bonus.

Any chance you could ride the different years and see what you like best? Or even at least demo a new one and see what you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm sure I could easily get on a new bike. There is a 16 being traded in at my dealer of choice with 18k on it and basically every aftermarket part but a skid plate on it already that I would buy. I talked to the owner of the bike last time I was in. My only disappointment about that bike is its not HRC colors, its red black and white my second choice. I still have to decide between DTC and Manual as well (heavily learning toward DCT). Attempting to learn to dirt is on my list so the more sophisticated TC is a nice thought.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No G button

DId you ever get to learn anything with the G button ?
No, we didn't touch the G button. The instructors had a basic knowledge of the DCT, and were able to give advice and tips, e.g. the DCT will try to freewheel if you start off downhill on a closed throttle, so you need to blip it to get into gear. Nevertheless, I didn't get the impression that they were really familiar with the DCT and they were all clearly more comfortable with the manual box.

·
Registered
304 Posts
When going off road with DCT, use G-mode.
It was designed specifically for that purpose.
Will do a full write up but I tried the 2018 AT at the honda adventure centre, after riding my 17 AT there.
It was the best2 days and massively worth it for me. Lots of off reading and did things with the bike I wouldn’t have thought possible.
We did tests with the tc settings on gravel roads going from 4-3-2-1-off. 4 and 3 make you feel safe even pushing in the corners. If you are steady you can go up a steep muddy track and it won’t kick in, even in 6-7. We went up steep hills in 4thgear, just to prove it has the torque and as long as your throttle is constant you won’t spin the wheel.
In tc2, which we used most of the time, you can let the back slide out nicely before it kicks in and corrects you gently. In 1 you can almost power slide and although it coughs a bit still goes. With the tc off it’s great fun in the muddy ruts throwing massive roosters behind you and going around gravel corners.
N comparison the 17 model, tc1 is a bit like 3 on the 18, but it makes the engine splutter too much. I would prefer turning it off and just using a higher gear and being steady on the throttle.
Your description of the TC back to back with the 17 AT is just as this graphic illustrates:
For a while I thought that was all, but there is more ...
HSTC comparison 2018.jpg

What is less obvious to many is that with the introduction of TBW
HSTC was integrated with ECU intervention of throttle input in addition to fuel cuts.
That's why it's so good.

·
Super Moderator
1,196 Posts
When going off road with DCT, use G-mode.
It was designed specifically for that purpose.

Your description of the TC back to back with the 17 AT is just as this graphic illustrates:
For a while I thought that was all, but there is more ...
View attachment 53398
What is less obvious to many is that with the introduction of TBW
HSTC was integrated with ECU intervention of throttle input in addition to fuel cuts.

That's why it's so good.
unless you go to do a holeshot and forget you have it on, the “ shut down” from hi RPM’s when the front wheel starts to raise is, in a word, ABRUPT... At lest on my 18ATAS

21 - 26 of 26 Posts