Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned to go to golf and then on a ride out to meet up with a group from the NC700 forum in the UK. but broke down on the way to golf. 7.5A Stop Fuse gone again. Replaced it but it kept popping. Worked out that the bike would start and run with no instruments, brake lights or indicators. It would select a gear and you could get around 300-400 yards before it defaulted back to neutral. Managed to get home in fits and starts. Got to the roundabout at the top of Sanderstead and managed to coast down the mile long hill and back home. What a pain. Jumped in the car and went to golf and played like a man with no arms. Too much stress. I got home and whilst waiting forte AA to pick it up to take to the dealers just had an inkling that I may have dislodged a wire for my additional top box lights when I packed in bits and bobs for golf and my planned run out to Arundel. Removed the plug from the socket that feeds power and thecbrake light feed to the top box. Replaced the fuse and all good. The waterproof plug and socket is designed for a panel so the section inside the top box has no shroud or protection around the pins. The pins are very close together and although I had used heat shrink and high density foam to give it some protection it did not work. I wonder if this had been the cause of my earlier breakdown although I think that was a defective horn. It had the same root cause of shorting live to earth. I spent the afternoon replacing the wire from the socket to the lights and insulated each wire with its own heat shrink and then a larger heat shrink over all three. I then adapted the lid off of a tyre sealant bottle to make a cover to give it protection and it seems all good. I think I may have a look at altering the feed to the box and rather than have the plug and socket set up. I will run a feed to a waterproof inline plug and socket, probably Sumitomo style, external to the box and simply run the feed in to the box through a waterproof gland. I know this has been a pain but I would not be without the extra lights and brake lights as once a box is on the rear light gets hidden. I had been really looking forward to the day out and it ended up going to rat €$it. Best laid plans. However I did learn that you can get the bike to go short distances by stopping, switching off and then on again even with the fuse blown. I assume it defaults to neutral from a safety perspective as you have no instruments, indicators or brake lights. On a side note I have put OKA tyre sealant in the tubes and have no issues with balance and it has not stopped the Garmin TPS sensors from working.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts