Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Do you avoid freeways/expressway’s/motorway’s ?

• No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • None by where I live /ride

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would like to but are kinda a necessity

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Prefer them, use them as much as possible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Yes I dislike them

• I use them only when absolutely necessary

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Don’t care either way

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introduction:

Hi,

I’m a troll, yes you read that right, I’m a troll. More specifically I’m a Michigan troll and proud of it.
For any or all of you “in the know” of what that means in reference to living in Michigan, please skip ahead.
For those of you that just thought WTF? is he rambling about.. Let me explain, my home state is divided into two parts, separated by water and connected by a bridge the two parts are known as lower Michigan and upper Michigan the latter known as the UP (pronounced yoopee) short for upper peninsula. Now we all know where trolls are known to live, yep, you guessed it UNDER the bridge. So anyone who resides in lower Michigan (under the bridge) is known as trolls and those above are known as Yoopers. This concludes the short history of Michigan trolls and the explanation of the “troll” in the title of this post.

Now to the point of my post, I live in the lower corner of my state and like most of us here in our state I travel to the UP as often as I can. And as like most anybody I usually take the fastest route, the expressway. The almost straight shot, high speed, no stop route. The BEST route.... NOT!!
My other adventure bike was a KLR650; a bike, as we say, “does everything , just doesn’t do everything well”. Yes it will do expressways, just not “well”. At 70mph in top gear, the bike RPM’s is at... Well to put into one word; ANNOYING, it’s at the point that you just want to shift up one more gear, so it’s kinda annoying or uncomfortable, to ride on expressway’s especially for hours. So for my northern trips I opted to avoid expressway’s. Taking the “back roads” if you will. Like I said I traveled to the north many a many times, but always the long droning, boring expressways. My first back road trip was, in a word, enlightening. Absolutely the best way, even tho the route was a bit longer mileage wise. The perceived time felt like at least half the normal time. The normal cities that I pass by/through were kinda a surprise, a what, I can’t be there already moment. I think the longest straight line I traveled without turning in one direction or another was around 30 miles, the average was around 12 miles before a turn or road change. A big part of the “time shift paradox” was actually being “involved” in the trip, not just leaning on the bars droning down the generic lanes of a expressway. Having to really pay attention to what your doing so you don’t miss that turn, slowing down and checking out the small towns you go through. Better scenery, a more unique scenery if you will. For all of this, making it a very enjoyable ride to my destination it added 60 minutes to my travel time, which sounds bad, but the normal 4.5-5 hour drive that feels more like 8 hours, made the trip feel more like 2. Now I can’t say that my KLR made me “slow down and smell the roses” as it were. A long time ago me and my other half took 6 days of our two week vacation driving up the west coast of our state. Our itinerary was a map with the goal of seeing all the lighthouse’s that we passed, no time frame, even that “goal” was a loose agenda. When we found a interesting town or place to stay we stopped. One of the best and memorable vacation we took. What a vacation should be, relaxing, from day one. None of this hurry up we need to be here by this time so we can get there by that time, rush, rush, rush, to get somewhere to relax...Tho this post is probably moote to most adventure riders who like to travel the back roads or the roads less traveled. Just remember the roads you take to those roads could add to the enjoyment of where you go...
End my eclectic post...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Kinda slit on the pole so far, ROFL, surprised anyone even read my rambling novel above...
Hahaha. The post was good. I was in a hurry when I answered so I didn't post more at the time, but I will definitely make every effort to avoid any road begining with an I-. I find the interstate mind numbingly dull. The twistier, more rural and scenic the better.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hahaha. The post was good. I was in a hurry when I answered so I didn't post more at the time, but I will definitely make every effort to avoid any road begining with an I-. I find the interstate mind numbingly dull. The twistier, more rural and scenic the better.

it’s funny, until you’ve taken a long tip without using a interstate, I think, most people really don’t know/realize just how much they suck. Honestly, reality is in the backroads and not in the generic, cookie cutter, scenes of the expressway’s, lol and with today’s technology, I don’t think you could get lost, even if you tried...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Generic cookie cutter everything along the freeways for the most part. One of the best parts about taking the back roads is the hidden gems that you find along the way.

Yeah, it takes longer going the back roads, but do you want to spend 7 hours on a scenic route that seems like it takes 4? Or 4 hours on an freeway route that seems like it takes 7.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Generic cookie cutter everything along the freeways for the most part. One of the best parts about taking the back roads is the hidden gems that you find along the way.

Yeah, it takes longer going the back roads, but do you want to spend 7 hours on a scenic route that seems like it takes 4? Or 4 hours on an freeway route that seems like it takes 7.

Totally agree, one time, I even see AND got a really good picture of Bigfoot (tho, no one has yet to contact me on it).
Now I just need a pic of an UFO & alien and one of Elvis (tho I would settle for elves too) and my photo album would be complete, see the pic below as proof

I’m not completely sure but I think he had just got sprayed by that skunk when I snapped the photo..
HA! I dare anyone to come up with a picture like this while going down a freeway...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am not sure if this one really counts as a "cult chapel," but it is called Cano's Castle and is located in Antonito, CO. It is built largely from hubcaps and beer cans and is dedicated to God and marijuana. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hmm, some strange people in Colorado... Just my kinda people, I’d fit right in...

Keep in mind we also have the statue of Mike the Headless Chicken in Fruita, CO and a Mike the Headless Chicken Festival. More on the story of that here...

And the Frozen Dead Guy Festival in Nedeeland, CO

Which has events such as coffin races and the annual Blue Ball.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep in mind we also have the statue of Mike the Headless Chicken in Fruita, CO and a Mike the Headless Chicken Festival. More on the story of that here...

See I knew I’d fit right in, Mike was a Wyandotte Chicken and I LIVE in Wyandotte, Michigan - need I say more?

·
Registered
392 Posts
These guys are more in your neck of the woods, well about 4 hours north-ish of you in Cross Village. We came upon them riding the M-119 "Tunnel of Trees "

You also have one of the Peter Wolf Toth "Sleeping Giants in Wakefield, MI.

We have another near Loveland, Colorado. I can't find my photo of it, but this one is from Wikipedia. There used to be 74 or 75 of them, but some have gone missing or been destroyed or seriously damaged.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These guys are more in your neck of the woods, well about 4 hours north-ish of you in Cross Village. We came upon them riding the M-119 "Tunnel of Trees "

View attachment 53384

You also have one of the Peter Wolf Toth "Sleeping Giants in Wakefield, MI.
Trying to think of the number of the forest road by Munising, that put the tunnel of trees to shame. Tho it is nice up around there, Petoskey area - been there many times.
If you are ever up there again,a bit south west of there is fishtown in Leland and Empire is nice too, of course along with sleeping bear dunes are some good places to check out. For about 12 years or so every last week of October I’d spend a week up above Northport camping, lol, the other half would never go cause I would just use one of my tents. But I had fun none the less..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Trying to think of the number of the forest road by Munising, that put the tunnel of trees to shame. Tho it is nice up around there, Petoskey area - been there many times.
If you are ever up there again,a bit south west of there is fishtown in Leland and Empire is nice too, of course along with sleeping bear dunes are some good places to check out. For about 12 years or so every last week of October I’d spend a week up above Northport camping, lol, the other half would never go cause I would just use one of my tents. But I had fun none the less..
My wife's family has a cabin in Brimley, so we get up there every so often. But usually we are going by car because we only have a limited time. That time we deiced to go by bike because we had a couple of weeks off. Weather had been warm and beautiful the weeks before, but the weeks we went it turned colder and rained like 11 of the 14 days. Go figure huh? :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My wife's family has a cabin in Brimley, so we get up there every so often. But usually we are going by car because we only have a limited time. That time we deiced to go by bike because we had a couple of weeks off. Weather had been warm and beautiful the weeks before, but the weeks we went it turned colder and rained like 11 of the 14 days. Go figure huh? :)

Been through Brimley while taking the scenic route to Whitefish Point. Up around that area is a Town called Paradise and down by me is a town called H e l l, a motorcycle group I belong to has thought to do a run to and from, since most of us live down by H e l l it would probably be a H e l l to Paradise run. Get some shirts made up that say: “I‘ve ridden from H e l l to Paradise” I’ve said make both trips, odd years do a Paradise to H e l l, then even years the other way. One member has family up by there so we could camp out on their land. But unfortunately I’m the only adventure bike in the group so it would be all boring freeways to and from.....

LOL see you can see my bike squeezed in there with a few of the guys, this was at a auto show at a Ford dealer, my girl always steals the show, people always look at and ask me questions about what kinda bike is that, especially being parked between the HD’s I always joke about them being afraid of my bike cause it towers over them and to try and keep up with their slow bikes...
although I have thought of doing a adventure bike run from Paradise to H e l l Taking as much dirt roads as possible then make up shirts that say “I’ve taken all the backroads to H e l l” then the stats, whatever they be, like 75miles of tarmac 275 miles of dirt. I’m going to map it out one day just to see how many or much of it will be gravel roads..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts