Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you decide to buy another AfricaTwin and want to transfer your expensive Oem luggage over, you can’t. Or rather you can but only if you buy 3 new lock kits for a total of £90. My dealership had assumed you could just reprogrammed the existing tumblers but they have discovered they would have to drill them out
Mike

·
Registered
419 Posts
....or simply cut a dummy key and use it for your panniers.... I also have OEM panniers and so far I have seen no benefit on using the same key as the bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....or simply cut a dummy key and use it for your panniers.... I also have OEM panniers and so far I have seen no benefit on using the same key as the bike.
Fortunately I did that before I sold the previous bike so I have one key that works with the panniers. But I’m bound to lose it one day on my travels.
And the single key solution of Honda is imho brilliant because you cannot accidentally set off with the panniers open
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
I always carry spare ignition key and spare luggage key in a wallet together with insurance details. That wallet goes into an inside pocket that never gets opened on a ride. Foolproof eh. Until I ride wearing my other jacket or other bike, mmm.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always carry spare ignition key and spare luggage key in a wallet together with insurance details. That wallet goes into an inside pocket that never gets opened on a ride. Foolproof eh. Until I ride wearing my other jacket or other bike, mmm.
Trip to the North Pennines last year for a few days, spent ages looking for my spare key, nowhere on my person so presumed lost. Always keep it in the most secure pocket of whichever jacket I'm using.
Got home and looked in the secure pocket in my cold weather jacket and there it was all snug and warm, foolproof eh?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - so that's a few people think that a single key for ignition and panniers is a good idea, so has anyone successfully changed the tumblers on their panniers or topbox to match a new key on a new bike?
Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you decide to buy another AfricaTwin and want to transfer your expensive Oem luggage over, you can’t. Or rather you can but only if you buy 3 new lock kits for a total of £90. My dealership had assumed you could just reprogrammed the existing tumblers but they have discovered they would have to drill them out
Mike

The locks could very well be 'permanent' once fitted.. if it is possible to remove the cylinder then it should be just a reversal of how its fitted in the first place. But that depends on how the "stopper tumbler" is held in place once installed as there is a spring involved and its independent of the actual series of tumblers.

Once the cylinder is turned and locked into place. Thats probably it. "Click" and its trapped. (maybe)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brilliant - thanks DCTfan. I did a search and didn't come up with anything. I will pass this on to my dealer. (You'd think Honda would put those instructions in the pannier kit wouldn;t you, but I guess they just want to sell 3 new lock kits)
Mike

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.
I followed the link quoted in DCTfan's post above, and downloaded the 12 pages of Honda info on how to reset the tumblers. In the meantime Honda Newcastle kindly gave me 3 brand new lock sets (cylinders and tumblers). They did this because they had thought they had plenty of old spare tumblers from fitting locks on mine and other people's panniers, but when they checked they had been throwing away all the unused ones (a kit comes with lots of spare tumblers).
It took me 2.75 hours to get the mechanism out of the first pannier and change over the locks. After that learning process it took me only about 30 minutes to change the tumblers in the other two cylinders but about an hour and a half getting the mechanisms in and out of the other pannier and the top box.
If anyone is put off by Motobiker's post above. There is indeed a sprung stopper tumbler which you think stops the cylinder from coming out of the housing, but you can depress this with a small screwdriver and it all comes apart reasonably easily to let you get at the tumblers.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts