Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anything specific I should look for?
Supposedly the forks are fine and show no premature wear, but the valve check hasn't been done.
It's a 2017 manual transmission with 16k for $7500
It comes with center stand, keyed honda panniers and top box, engine bars and barkbusters
Does this sound like a good price? There are left over 2017s for 9,000 and 9500 for the dct right now.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, sounds ok. You should think about the panniers and top box, and decide if that is what you would buy, if they were not there.

A few dealers have been floating 2017's around at around $8,000 relatively recently, brand new with warranty.

Depending upon where you are, whether you have to pay sales tax on a used bike, etc. that could make a difference. A "new" bike for $8,000 will have tax, destination, and whatever else the dealer can tack on, then you would need to buy and install the stuff you would want, like panneirs, crash bars, etc. You would probably have $10k to $11k into a new bike to make it equivalently configured.

So with all that said, maybe $7,500 as it is configured sounds good...

I went through the same thought process, shopped used for a few weeks, and ultimately bought a new 2017, I have been spending on it ever since Sept. last year, to get it set up in my "ideal" configuration! I would guess I have about $3k of extras on it, without having touched the suspension, yet. That will likely be the next big chunk, if I decide that Ohlins would make me that much happier. Not sure about that yet, though. I am pretty happy with it now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, sounds ok. You should think about the panniers and top box, and decide if that is what you would buy, if they were not there.
They seem ok to me I guess. Not the sturdiest or most well made looking things, but I usually get by with a bag strapped to the back seat or rack. So 99 percent of the time they will probably be off of the bike

A few dealers have been floating 2017's around at around $8,000 relatively recently, brand new with warranty.
not anywhere near me. 9k is the best I can find through craigslist and cycletrader

So with all that said, maybe $7,500 as it is configured sounds good...
well the centerstand, luggage and hand guards and engine bars(not sure of brands) are probably worth 500, right?
They all seem usable and not things I would need to replace.

So considerering all that, would 7 grand be a good price on a 2017 tri color with 16,000 miles and good tires but no valve check?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
well the centerstand, luggage and hand guards and engine bars(not sure of brands) are probably worth 500, right?
They all seem usable and not things I would need to replace.
These items bought new in aggregate would be much more than $500.

So considerering all that, would 7 grand be a good price on a 2017 tri color with 16,000 miles and good tires but no valve check?
Although a valve check is a prudent activity for any owner, in general across many modern Honda bikes valve clearance adjustments often are less seldom than what Honda recommends. In other words, short of the engine being abused, Honda engines appear to stay in spec longer.

In any case, you might be able to tell by running/listening to the engine, and before deciding to any commitments.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't see carrying out a valve clearance as big deal. Part of the fun of bike ownership is getting the spanners out and playing with it. Follow the procedure set out in the manual and it's no sweat. I think I would rather trust myself to do it as part of winter maintenance, then you know it's done properly!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don't see carrying out a valve clearance as big deal. Part of the fun of bike ownership is getting the spanners out and playing with it. Follow the procedure set out in the manual and it's no sweat. I think I would rather trust myself to do it as part of winter maintenance, then you know it's done properly!
Agreed. Although, some winter regions in North America where the working area is not heated, the hands/finger tips do take a beatin'.

I remember once dropping a tappet nut down into the engine and out-of-sight. Total fumble fingers. Man was I bummed. Is it lodged between a cam chain and sprocket? I wasn't sure. However, the day was saved by persistent use of a magnetic pick-up tool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol well I'm no mechanic. That's for sure!
But after searching out and reading others experience with valve checks, it doesnt seem like something that I should be too worried about right now. I'd probably have them checked this winter buy a trusted mechanic.

I was considering a fj-09 tracer, but I'm a bigger guy and the roads here can get pretty rough at times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I check for the fork stiction issue by sitting on the bike and compressing the front forks?
That's my main concern with buying a used 16-17 model
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't help you with the fork issue, but I think the price with all included is fair, if the bike looks in good shape and well maintained.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it is an older retired gentlemen who is also a member of another adventure bike forum. I'm pretty sure it has been very well maintained aside from no valve check
Its just too much bike for him and he has downsized to the cbx

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW, I am looking at a 2019 AT manual for $10,300 plus tax and tags.
The bike keeps calling for me to buy it. I am a little nervous though with two kids in college.
I haven't bought a brand new bike since 1987!

·
Registered
99 Posts
OEM luggage and all that's required to mount them and lock them is well over 1 grand new. OEM center stand is over 200. Crash bars start at 250 for basic, up to a grand for full coverage and anywhere in between (price wise).

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Honda OEM luggage is not the best. I bought a used set for mine cheap and they work well enough but they are not sturdy or waterproof. The attachments are nice as you don't need an external rack. If your not doing hard core ADV riding they should do you well.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The Honda OEM luggage is not the best. I bought a used set for mine cheap and they work well enough but they are not sturdy or waterproof. The attachments are nice as you don't need an external rack. If your not doing hard core ADV riding they should do you well.
Not waterproof? Really? In 2020? (wow?)

How 'bout water-resistant?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Used accessories value 50% or less of cost.
My valve check at 24,000km Exhausts were tight. With brake fluid flush service was $1,500 CDN
Forks will need service. Don’t fret about anodizing wear. New seals and bushes with re-valve not expensive.
If you are a heavy dude allocate $ for new springs.
16,000 miles chain and sprockets May be about done.
Honda bags and box maybe you can sell if no value to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My local dealer has manual 17's for 8999 and DCT versions for 9499. That's IF you finance, and the finance fee is 299. No other fees involved.

If you want to pay cash, both are 700 more than advertised price.

The reason for finance incentive is, other than the additional 299, let's say you get approved for 3.99 by whatever company they are using, they'll tell you you're approved for 5.99, finance company kicks back the other 2%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I might pull the trigger. I don't know. I have been riding small displacement bikes for so long. I don't know if I will like such a large beast. Especially since I am only 5' 7''. My KLX 250s is actually 1 inch taller though.
Honda really has some great incentives right now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts