Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I might pull the trigger. I don't know. I have been riding small displacement bikes for so long. I don't know if I will like such a large beast. Especially since I am only 5' 7''. My KLX 250s is actually 1 inch taller though.
Honda really has some great incentives right now.
Have you requested a test ride of the AT from Honda? Might be the best way to break the tie.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Remember that we only live once. I has like you in a dilemma to buy or not. Then the right deal appears and I bought an Adventure Sports DCT 2018. Super happy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So would I be better off going with the new 2017 for 9700 cash?
I wonder if that includes tax and everything?
Then I would need to atkeast add some mid bars like sw motech or outback motech bars and a center stand and maybe hand guards. Another $500 atleast...and plus the luggage,and which would be ok for my needs although probabky not really used much.

How much should a valve check and fork refresh cost plus swapping chain and sprockets? I will likely have to have a dealer do it at the end of this season...

And I'm 195 lbs.

Thanks for mentioning all that

Used accessories value 50% or less of cost.
My valve check at 24,000km Exhausts were tight. With brake fluid flush service was $1,500 CDN
Forks will need service. Don’t fret about anodizing wear. New seals and bushes with re-valve not expensive.
If you are a heavy dude allocate $ for new springs.
16,000 miles chain and sprockets May be about done.
Honda bags and box maybe you can sell if no value to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My local dealer has manual 17's for 8999 and DCT versions for 9499. That's IF you finance, and the finance fee is 299. No other fees involved.

If you want to pay cash, both are 700 more than advertised price.

The reason for finance incentive is, other than the additional 299, let's say you get approved for 3.99 by whatever company they are using, they'll tell you you're approved for 5.99, finance company kicks back the other 2%.
What about tax and tag? Isnt that pricey?

·
Registered
460 Posts
So would I be better off going with the new 2017 for 9700 cash?
I wonder if that includes tax and everything?
Then I would need to atkeast add some mid bars like sw motech or outback motech bars and a center stand and maybe hand guards. Another $500 atleast...and plus the luggage,and which would be ok for my needs although probabky not really used much.

How much should a valve check and fork refresh cost plus swapping chain and sprockets? I will likely have to have a dealer do it at the end of this season...

And I'm 195 lbs.

Thanks for mentioning all that
For a new 2017 you get to run 25,000km before valves which is a major service and not something I wanted to do myself. Really depends on how long you want to keep the bike, what you plan to do with it. New with warranty and spend a couple grand extra on protection, tyres and suspension. Or used with useful farkles, bags you might try and find useful for in-town grocery trips -- but you have to pay eventually for valve service, chain and suspension service when required.

Many people will just ride the stock suspension and be happy, ride 50,000 miles without a valve check (it's a Honda, right?), buy barkbusters only after the stock ones break on the first fall and have no idea the chain is worn out. Kind of depends how particular you are with your bikes. Whatever you do, enjoy the journey.

For sure I can recommend SW Motech crash bars, centre stand, bash plate and Aluminium rear rack. Barkbusters with either VPS for Storm hand guards. All battle and drop tested. ~$900 CDN from Twisted Throttle Standard Motorcycle Protection Package for Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L '16-'17 - Africa Twin CRF1000L '16-'17 - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.ca
Also Camel ADV footpeg brace, sidestand and screen brace - especially you mount a larger windscreen. Honda

For the 25,000km / valve service, Honda flat rate is 6 hours @ $140/hour. Plus parts. I had the spark plugs replaced (not cheap plugs!!!) which was probably unnecessary.

I replaced chain & sprockets myself with stock Honda sprockets and DID 525VX. Motion Pro chain breaker required.

For the suspension, always easier if you pull the legs and shock yourself. Suspensionwerx in NVan did the work for me. I'm 150 LB and had the rear preload maxed out. now with K-Tech 100Nm rear spring and 0.75 front spring I've minimal pre-load and the rider sag is set properly if a little high (27% vs 33% with bike unloaded). Fork service was necessary as the seals were leaking. SWX also re-valved the forks and shock - changed shim stacks, new bushings, seals and wipers. Think it was ~$980 for all except front springs as I already had those. World of difference in performance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I'm not really sure how long I'll keep it atleast a few years

I dont even have a lift needed to do that sort of stuff... maybe I should invest in one.

So removing wheels and pulling forklegs(and re installing) isnt too much for a noob??

For a new 2017 you get to run 25,000km before valves which is a major service and not something I wanted to do myself. Really depends on how long you want to keep the bike, what you plan to do with it. New with warranty and spend a couple grand extra on protection, tyres and suspension. Or used with useful farkles, bags you might try and find useful for in-town grocery trips -- but you have to pay eventually for valve service, chain and suspension service when required.

Many people will just ride the stock suspension and be happy, ride 50,000 miles without a valve check (it's a Honda, right?), buy barkbusters only after the stock ones break on the first fall and have no idea the chain is worn out. Kind of depends how particular you are with your bikes. Whatever you do, enjoy the journey.

For sure I can recommend SW Motech crash bars, centre stand, bash plate and Aluminium rear rack. Barkbusters with either VPS for Storm hand guards. All battle and drop tested. ~$900 CDN from Twisted Throttle Standard Motorcycle Protection Package for Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L '16-'17 - Africa Twin CRF1000L '16-'17 - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.ca
Also Camel ADV footpeg brace, sidestand and screen brace - especially you mount a larger windscreen. Honda

For the 25,000km / valve service, Honda flat rate is 6 hours @ $140/hour. Plus parts. I had the spark plugs replaced (not cheap plugs!!!) which was probably unnecessary.

I replaced chain & sprockets myself with stock Honda sprockets and DID 525VX. Motion Pro chain breaker required.
View attachment 55674

For the suspension, always easier if you pull the legs and shock yourself. Suspensionwerx in NVan did the work for me. I'm 150 LB and had the rear preload maxed out. now with K-Tech 100Nm rear spring and 0.75 front spring I've minimal pre-load and the rider sag is set properly if a little high (27% vs 33% with bike unloaded). Fork service was necessary as the seals were leaking. SWX also re-valved the forks and shock - changed shim stacks, new bushings, seals and wipers. Think it was ~$980 for all except front springs as I already had those. World of difference in performance!
View attachment 55675
View attachment 55680
View attachment 55681
View attachment 55682

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bought my 2017 new, last Sept. Went to put it on a credit card (2% cash back) and the dealer whined. Finally came up with 0% for 12 months to talk me into taking it, with a couple of $G on the card, to get a little kickback, at least. Honda Finance.

Didn't pay too much attention to the 15.9% trap at the end of 12 months; plan to make the last payment #12.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Honda card is run by Citibank. They are different from Honda financial. I was going to do the 0% card for a year, but Honda financial came out with the longer term financing this month.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts