Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well that makes it about 11 grand when it's all said and done for me. I'll probably pull the trigger on the used one instead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have we made a decision yet?

I was recently informed of two more new AT's in my AO. A couple about my age, ~50 bought a pair, his is an ATAS 19, silverish, hers is a 19 AT same color as mine, blueish.

That makes 5 that I know of, a 16, 17 and 3 19's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well,
I just got to this thread. In Arizona, if you purchase ANYTHING, including cars, trucks, motor homes, MOTORCYCLES etc. from a private individual, you pay ZERO USED TAX on whatever you paid for it. But, if you purchase ANYTHING, including cars, trucks and motorcycles from A DEALERSHIP, you are gonna pay TAX! When we purchased our '18 AT/AS DCT a couple of months ago, we got it from a dealership in Scottsdale AZ and did pay tax. We traded in my 12 year old 2008 Honda Goldwing but still needed to pay around $5,500 or so to make up the difference.

Well, we could have wrote a check, or, put it on a Visa that had ZERO balance on it or, we were offered ZERO PERCENT FINANCING FROM HONDA if, IF, YOU PAID IT OFF IN 12 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you didn't pay it off in the following 12 months, it jumps to a pretty high rate of interest. Paying it off in 12 months is no biggie for us. We're just kind-a figuring that we're using HONDA'S money so-to-speak for that 12 months. I don't know if Honda's still got that zero percent financing or not but, it was nice they offered it to us back then.
Scott

P.S. By the way, at least in AZ, (and I think many other states but, not too sure on that), there is a base sales tax but, many counties and jurisdictions regulate their own rates. This is why many people do as much big ticket purchasing from individuals rather than dealers.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Sadly, in Ontario a tax is assessed on used vehicles based on at least the "blue book" value. So even if the sale is private, the ministry assesses the value of the transaction and responds accordingly. In a sense, the transaction is taxed and every time the vehicle exchanges ownership.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sadly, in Ontario a tax is assessed on used vehicles based on at least the "blue book" value. So even if the sale is private, the ministry assesses the value of the transaction and responds accordingly. In a sense, the transaction is taxed and every time the vehicle exchanges ownership.

That's a load of phooey, but it's similar to Kansas. Although Kansas doesn't have a base value.

You can buy used here from an individual, and if the individual agrees to, or leaves it blank on the title, you can put your own purchase price in. Then when you go to get tags, the county charges you sales tax on that price, based on where you live.

I bought my new bike out of state, so I don't pay sales tax until I tag it. At that point I'll pay 7.5% sales tax since I live out in the country and will only be charged the state and county sales tax, not a city sales tax(which in my case where my business is would add another 2%).

Crooked government getting sales tax on an item multiple times throughout it's life sucks.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
That's a load of phooey, but it's similar to Kansas. Although Kansas doesn't have a base value.

You can buy used here from an individual, and if the individual agrees to, or leaves it blank on the title, you can put your own purchase price in. Then when you go to get tags, the county charges you sales tax on that price, based on where you live.

I bought my new bike out of state, so I don't pay sales tax until I tag it. At that point I'll pay 7.5% sales tax since I live out in the country and will only be charged the state and county sales tax, not a city sales tax(which in my case where my business is would add another 2%).

Crooked government getting sales tax on an item multiple times throughout it's life sucks.
In Ontario, it used to be based on the buyer-seller "documented" price. But the province no longer trusted people to be honest (e.g. "I bought a used 2020 ATAS with 2000 kms for $1000.00". Or an oldie but a goodie, " ... my friend gave me a 2020 ATAS with 2000 kms as a gift. What a great pal, uh, um, ... Joe is his name, ... ya."). Tax is collected when the vehicle is registered with the province.

I think the tax is 13%. Crazy, huh?

·
Registered
291 Posts
In Ontario, it used to be based on the buyer-seller "documented" price. But the province no longer trusted people to be honest (e.g. "I bought a used 2020 ATAS with 2000 kms for $1000.00". Or an oldie but a goodie, " ... my friend gave me a 2020 ATAS with 2000 kms as a gift. What a great pal, uh, um, ... Joe is his name, ... ya."). Tax is collected when the vehicle is registered with the province.

The description of how your tax process worked pertaining to used vehicles is EXACTLY how California used to do it. And yes, there was also the " I bought it for this much" type thing too. So, the CA DMV used to tax accordingly. And yes, if a vehicle was sold every day, there would be a tax charged for each and every time it was sold, no matter how many times. As far as I know, it's still that way. There really is no other way around that scenario.

Arizona does things a bit different. They could care less how much you declared you paid for something. They have formula and it's used on every single vehicle sold, FOREVER. They look at the MSRP of the vehicle when it was brand new. Then, subtract 60% of that. Then, they basically charge tax on the assessed value down from that 60% drop. And, each year, it (the assessed value) drops by 16.25%. So, if you actually DID pay $500 for a 2019 AT/AS DCT today, AZ could care less. They would apply the formula and charge you tax on what THEY assess it at, PERIOD!
Scott

·
Registered
142 Posts
They'll always get their money. There's states with no personal property tax, but they'll get that tax back in a different category.

What's drive me nuts is states like Texas that tax groceries one way, dining out another and candy another. Actually, I'm not sure they charge tax on groceries.

Kansas charges tax on everything, sale item, labor, thinking behind that labor, bathroom time etc.

Maybe technically not bathroom time, but sometimes it feels like it🤣😂

·
Registered
176 Posts

Sales tax on a vehicle in Ontario can be waived if the vehicle is going to a family member. In some cases the sales tax can be reduced from assessed value to the actual sale price if the seller and purchaser can document why the vehicle is not worth the blue book value. Any previously owned vehicle sold in Ontario also needs to successfully pass a safety inspection with the issue of a valid safety certificate before it can be registered as fit for road use. With new vehicles I think the PDI substitutes for the safety certificate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Yeah I finally pulled the trigger on the used bike. Rode back in the pouring rain 4 hrs
I'm pretty happy with my decision
The bike seems to run a bit lean though
I dont particularly like that

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Any suggestion on suspension settings for a 200 lb rider? Shes a heavy beast... fell over on me at the gas pumps on the ride back home lol. Only put a minor scratch on the handgaurds thankfully. I've put about 500 miles on her so far

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Congratulations @JonEBlaze on your AT acquisition.

Four hours first ride in the rain? That is memorable. It should tell a lot about what the bike can do well and can do better than others.

Runs lean? Engine ping?

I currently run my suspension at factory settings, but the rear preload at "15". I weigh a bit more than you. I have no issue, however, that does not mean I can't find a better combination of settings. I just haven't felt the need ... yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congratulations @JonEBlaze on your AT acquisition.

Four hours first ride in the rain? That is memorable. It should tell a lot about what the bike can do well and can do better than others.

Runs lean? Engine ping?

Wow,
This is the first time I've heard of any F.I. engine potentially running lean. May I ask, what's making you think it's running lean?

Four hours in the rain
You're a better man than I am Partner. Both the CEO and I have been caught in the rain but, we surely don't PLAN on riding in it. Glad you made it home ok.

Runs lean? Engine ping?

Wow,
This is the first time I've heard of any F.I. engine potentially running lean. May I ask, what's making you think it's running lean?

I currently run my suspension at factory settings, but the rear preload at "15". I weigh a bit more than you. I have no issue, however, that does not mean I can't find a better combination of settings. I just haven't felt the need ... yet.
I'm right there with ya DT, I hover around the 240 mark and, well, so far, I'm sporting about 1056 miles on my '18 AT/AS DCT and, about 95% of that mileage has been ON ROAD and what off roading I've done is very mild dirt stuff. And the suspension is the exact way it was when it left the show room floor. At this time, I myself am pretty darn happy with its ride. But, I might play with the settings some time to see what differences they make.
Scott

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm right there with ya DT, I hover around the 240 mark and, well, so far, I'm sporting about 1056 miles on my '18 AT/AS DCT and, about 95% of that mileage has been ON ROAD and what off roading I've done is very mild dirt stuff. And the suspension is the exact way it was when it left the show room floor. At this time, I myself am pretty darn happy with its ride. But, I might play with the settings some time to see what differences they make.
Scott
I am on the lighter side at 5" 11", 32" inseam and 185 pounds. Suspension settings are still what they were when delivered from the showroom. So far I haven't had any reason to change it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm ~210. I turn the rear shock knob all the way in and backed out 4 clicks. By myself, it really makes the front nose dive under breaking noticable, but when I have my copilot on, its pretty good. I need to study up on the fork adjustments and see if I can equal it out a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm ~210. I turn the rear shock knob all the way in and backed out 4 clicks. By myself, it really makes the front nose dive under breaking noticable, but when I have my copilot on, its pretty good. I need to study up on the fork adjustments and see if I can equal it out a bit.
That's exactly where I am at with mine
I have adjusted by using more back brake and less front. Which is not exactly an ideal solution

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few dealers have been floating 2017's around at around $8,000 relatively recently, brand new with warranty . . .

I've seen $9,500 locally and a couple at $8,999 around the country.

Can you say where you saw $8,000?

Another thing you have to ask with those teaser prices is, what's the OTD (out the door cost). The added "fees" can vary by quite a bit.

You see dealer fees, destination fees, dock fees, set-up charges.

I asked my Honda dealer what he was adding for the AT at $9500 advertised price.

$350 was a set-up charge and+/- 400 was for DMV. When I called DMV the title and two year registration was less than $200. They just needed to see a certificate of origin on the new bike. Called the dealer back and he said fine. We can supply that and you can take care of DMV your way.

No sales tax in Oregon. So bottom line, $350 is what is added to the sale price, from this dealer.

They won't all be like that.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts