Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 CRF 1000A

The Problem:
After riding 3-4 miles the ABS indicator will flash for a few minutes. Then it turns off for a few and comes back a few minutes later. Also, I have been noticing an inconsistent idle sometimes and the headlights/display dim and brighten. Not sure if this is related they don't always occur at the same time.

Diagnostics:
I checked the pulsar rings and sensors and everything looks good. I only have 3k miles and haven't taken offroad yet. So I don't think the problem is with the rings or sensors.

I have the service manual and checked the DTC code and got 6-2 Power Circuit Voltage (input voltage too high)
1. Input voltage inspection - if yes replace the regulator, if no go to step 2.
I checked the battery and the voltage is 12.5 (okay got to step 2)
2. Charging voltage inspection - rev engine to 5000 RPM with highbeams on. Is the voltage above 15.5v? if yes it's a faulty regulator/rectifier, if no go to step 3.
I checked the voltage and got a consistent 14.3v (on to step 3)
3. Crase the DTC and test ride the motorbike above 6mph. Is the DTC 6-2 indicated? if yes faulty ABS modulator, if no the power circuit is normal (intermittent failure)
Took it for a test ride and seems fine at first. Then got the ABS flash 2 miles down the road.

Theories:
The manual says that the ABS modulator could be damaged if dropped or from excessive voltage.
1. Dropped it a couple of times in a parking lot teaching a friend to ride. Small scratches on the crash bars (that's what they are for), but I would be surprised if that damaged the ABS modulator.
2. I installed the Eastern Beaver 8 circuit fuse panel and the Skeen P3 Lights with Decelerometer & Turn Signals. While installing the P3 lights I made a mistake and blew a fuse. I don't remember which fuse, but it was the one for the main display.
Could I have damaged the ABS modulator? If so why does it quit working sometimes? I would think that if I fried it then it would stop working altogether not just sometimes.
3. Is it possible that the regulator is faulty? I have a voltage meter that I can read while riding and it shows 14.3v while in motion, 13.5v at stop lights, and 12.5v when it's turned off.

I appreciate any help you can give. Let me know if you need any additonal information.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Odd ABS symptoms, dimming headlight, inconsistent idle. The headlight is your primary pointer to bad electrics somehow. The other problems could also be expected if you had something wrong there. Battery connections tight? The charging system seems to be working properly by your measurements, but maybe there's a loose connection somewhere. Any way you can disconnect your electrical addons to see if the problem changes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a really good point about the headlights pointing to bad electrical. I went for a 10 mile ride this morning and it died twice at stop lights. It starts back up just fine, but I think you're on to something about the bad electrics somewhere.

I pulled the fuse on the Eastern Beaver (that also powers the P3 Lights) and reset the DTC. Then I took it out for a test ride and got the same flashing ABS and inconsistent idle.

Next, I'm going to double check the battery connections. If the problem persists I'm to start looking for loose connections.

Are there any connections that I should try first? Ones that commonly fail?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had similar symptoms: My AT would die randomly (hot engine, cold engine, etc.) but start up fine after waiting or poking and prodding. Hard to tell what was happening. Dealer said fault codes were lighting up like a christmas tree, but no obvious root cause. The symptoms were always that the bike failed completely and the common thread was ABS lighting up. It turned out that it had absolutely nothing to do with the ABS, except that the ABS fault detection is on a completely different circuit electrically speaking. In the end it was something very simple I could have found myself had I known the wiring at the time: It turned out to be the ground cable behind the "tool box". There is a recessed bolt that wasn't tight; not bad enough to fall out, but bad enough to cause random disconnects. And not visible unless you checked if it was torqued right. In this case it may be something similar. Probably not the same thing since my headlights stayed on (the only thing working when the bike failed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be the same problem. Tonight I took out the battery and removed the Eastern Beaver wire leads. Replaced the battery and made sure that everything was good and snug. Took it out for a short test ride and didn't have any issues.

I'm going to go for a longer ride this weekend. If all goes well I plan on installing the Eastern Beaver again and seeing if the problem persists.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report back as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just seen this thread and thought I should share my experience with my 2017 DCT.

Back in April I had irregular flashing of the ABS light whilst riding, accompanied by the occasional power surge. I took it to my dealer and they reset it and told me it was fine. It was OK for a while and then got progressively worse on a weekend Scotland trip in August. On the way home, just after leaving the A1 the ABS light flashed, accompanied by power surges that got really violent, then total shutdown. I hate to think what could have been had that happened a couple of minutes earlier in the fast lane of a busy A1!!! The battery was completely dead, so I had to be recovered (which is another story!). The dealer couldn't find any faults and wanted to return it after charging the flat battery but I insisted on further checks (involving Honda GB). The outcome was a loose earth and so far so good.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just seen this thread and thought I should share my experience with my 2017 DCT.

Back in April I had irregular flashing of the ABS light whilst riding, accompanied by the occasional power surge. I took it to my dealer and they reset it and told me it was fine. It was OK for a while and then got progressively worse on a weekend Scotland trip in August. On the way home, just after leaving the A1 the ABS light flashed, accompanied by power surges that got really violent, then total shutdown. I hate to think what could have been had that happened a couple of minutes earlier in the fast lane of a busy A1!!! The battery was completely dead, so I had to be recovered (which is another story!). The dealer couldn't find any faults and wanted to return it after charging the flat battery but I insisted on further checks (involving Honda GB). The outcome was a loose earth and so far so good.....

Its amazing how many faults stem from faulty earth, through hard won experience it would always be my first thing to check with electrical problems now.

Good to know where the AT earth is.

Stuart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts