Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Africa Twin ABS information so far doesn't get any better than this. Here I have combined all that you need to know:

To tailor the overall electronics package to capably tackle any conditions on or off-road, the Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)* system offers three levels of control, and it is possible for the rider to turn off the ABS* system for the rear wheel.
HSTC and ABS not available on base version; equipped as standard on ABS and DCT versions
  • Honda Selectable Torque Control System (HSTC):* HSTC 3-levels + Switch Off (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
  • Dry Weight: 208kg (STD), 212 kg (ABS), 222kg (DCT)
  • Kerb Weight: 228kg (STD), 232 kg (ABS), 242kg (DCT)
  • Length x Width x Height: 2,335 x 875 x 1,475mm (STD), 2,335 x 930 x 1,475mm (ABS/DCT)
  • ABS system type: ABS* 2-Channel with rear ABS off switch (* ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
  • Brakes Front: 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers (*ABS) and sintered metal pads
  • Brakes Rear: 256mm wave hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper (*ABS) and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking Brake System on DCT model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No real need to turn off the front. There really isn't that many occasions that you would ever want to lock the front, even on gravel/dirt. The rear on the other hand, that I want to be able to turn off. It eliminates the dreaded ABS fade in loose stuff, especially going down hill. Not a lot scarier than bouncing down a hill on 500+ lb bike with the ABS pulsing away and your brakes just fade out as you pick up speed.

When you disabled the ABS on the GS's, it disabled front and both. I like the concept of just disabling both as you should be able to brake/steer with the front (without fear of lockup) and still be able scrub speed off with the rear.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would help to hear Honda's take on why they went with the ABS setup they did, something which we might hear come time for more information to be released, whether that be through text or video.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honda aren't the only ones using this. The KTM 1190 Adventure R also only disables the rear in offroad mode. Its getting more common.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only option to turn off the front ABS at this point would be for you to manually pull the fuse for the ABS out. It was one solution for the Honda CB500F ABS system so I'm not sure if it'll also work for the AT.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there's a good chance it will be wired up the same way with the ability to yank the fuse, have yet to see a system that isn't like that where that can't happen or where ABS might be part of circuit

·
Registered
274 Posts
The only option to turn off the front ABS at this point would be for you to manually pull the fuse for the ABS out. It was one solution for the Honda CB500F ABS system so I'm not sure if it'll also work for the AT.
that might send software on the fritz, ABS comes with HSTC bikes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts