Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I recently purchased a Denali rear braking light kit that I'm planning to mount in the next day or so. Digging into the details of the install, I begin to see this may require some serious disassembly of the back end of the bike to access the wires going into the brake light assembly. I also do not see any way to cleanly pass the wires from the outside into the rear fairing without drilling some holes which I'll have to seal up somehow.

So I'm interested in hearing about how some of you may have solved this problem. Here's a picture of the lights which I plan to mount either side of the license plate bracket.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
I have a LED strip set that I tied in under the seat and ran out each side. The strips are attached to the braces for the panniers.
They flash red then go solid for braking and sequentially flash yellow for turning.
Will post a pic when I get a chance

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Dragon.

I pushed ahead & installed them today. This kit is Denali's B6/DRL and boy, are these lights bright! The light bars have a pretty thick wire bundle (0.165 in OD) capped with a connector requiring a hole just a bit larger than 3/8 in. I.D. (0.375 in) to push through into the rear fairing. After the teardown and some consideration, I decided to route each cable up through the center channel in the rear fender then along the side of the fender to just below the rear turn signals. This was the most rearward location where I could get clean access to the rear fairing and the rear light wiring harness. There I drilled a hole through the plastic fender into the rear fairing (red arrow). I've secured the outside run with a couple of cable ties on each side. Right now the holes into the rear fairing are covered with electrical tape while I look for a suitably-sized grommet to clean up the install. All said, the install took around 3.5 hours.

Vehicle Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Auto part

Did I mention these things are really bright? They're like some of the LED lights you see on ambulances and other emergency vehicles these days.

Red Automotive lighting Light Lighting Headlamp

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, I found the right grommets to clean this up. Ordered from McMaster-Carr, they arrived today and I installed one on each side.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior

I have 98 left. Anyone need a grommet? Gratis. Just don't all hit me at once though, OK?

Plant Food

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang. Another exposed wiring harness run.
Yes, that's an unhappy fact. I would have liked to protect them a bit more, BUT, they are sheltered behind some hard structure like racks & panniers so if they take damage, something far worse is probably going on. Time will tell all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, that's an unhappy fact. I would have liked to protect them a bit more, BUT, they are sheltered behind some hard structure like racks & panniers so if they take damage, something far worse is probably going on. Time will tell all.
I replaced the rectangular reflector at the rear with a Whelen TIR 3 LED strobe light and I was able to extend my wiring completely internally.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
So, I found the right grommets to clean this up. Ordered from McMaster-Carr, they arrived today and I installed one on each side.

View attachment 54564

I have 98 left. Anyone need a grommet? Gratis. Just don't all hit me at once though, OK?

View attachment 54565
BTW They also make a bit smaller wire clip Amazon.com: 50pcs Adhesive Cable Clips, Wire Clips,Car Cable Organizer,Cable Holder,Cable Wire Management,Wire Cable Holder for Car,Office and Home: Electronics
yea it’s not a zip tit one but a bit smaller. Well at least the small size of the clip is, the large is about the same as you have now.

Reactions: DoubleThumper
1 - 8 of 8 Posts