Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding the Honda 12 Volt outlet, which fits in the the dashboard upper left. There is a reserved spot for it. In order to install it right, I have been told I need to remove the fairing.

Questions

1. Do I really need to remove the fairing?
2. If so, are there any other gadgets I should have installed at the time, and not have to remove the fairing more than once?

My other accessories:

Givi upper and lower engine guards (BTW, you need to buy the lower ones to hold the upper ones)
Honda center stand ( I heard the SW Motech is too tall and difficult to pull up)
Oxford grip heaters
Helmet Hook
Pivoting pegs
Front and rear fork sliders
Bar riser 1 1/4"
Ball mount
Carbon fiber Barkbusters (ordered through Twisted Throttle on 11/15/16, and still waiting till end of January)
Rear brake fluid reservoir guard

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, you definitely have to remove the fairing - unless you do, you can't get access to the "spare auxiliary power plug" that you will plug the power outlet into. The spare socket is buried in front of the instrument cluster and can only be accessed once you remove the side and front fairings.
I just did this for the first time today to install the power outlet and also some fog lights. I used the Service Manual as well as a few YouTube videos and it all worked out OK. The fairings are very fiddly to get off and on, but with the help of the manual and the videos and taking my time, it all went back on OK.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The farings are a joke.... they should have put mx style plastics on. Its not sports bike!!! Cheap easy simple. I shudder at the cost of a side faring.

·
Registered
100 Posts
One final thought - during my recent accessory installation work, I found that the instructions that come with the accessories with regards to removing/replacing fairings and other bike parts that are required for accessory installation are more detailed than the instructions covering fairing removal that are in the Service Manual. So, if you can get them I'd recommend using the accessory instructions rather than the Service Manual when it comes to removing/replacing bike parts. For example, any time you need to remove the fairings, use the installation instructions for the aux power outlet as a guide - better detail than the service manual.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used the 6 pin port under the passenger seat to supply the power outlet and aux lights. I secured the aux light wires up front until I'm ready to install them. All I have to do is make the connection.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all!

When bringing the power from the rear (6pin connector) to the front have the distance in mind! Use a bigger cabel diameter as 2.5mm. This should work fine to keep the power drop to a minimum.

Greetings, gerhard

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also keep in mind those #$%#$* rubber grommets for the windshield. If you are not careful, they will push in and fall down into the fairing when you put the windshield back on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts