Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is odd.
I have a CRF250 rally as well as a ATAS. Two days ago I took the 250 out and covered 50 miles on pretty dry roads although they were heavily salted. I had all exposed parts covered in ACF 50, spokes, everything.The bike was put away dry in a dry garage attached to the house. This was the first time I have covered a bike in ACF 50.
Today I went to check the tyre pressures before heading out again and noticed that the bike looked like it had been sprayed with water. The spokes actually had drops of water forming and flat surfaces just looked like millions of tiny water drops had formed. The ATAS stood next to it was bone dry.
What is going on ?
I can only assume that ACF50 causes condensed water on its surface to come together as a tiny drop or a big drop if its a spoke to hang from. When I got back from the first ride I did notice that the previously shiney ACF50 coated surfaces had become dull as though the stickiness had picked up dust or more likely salt. So maybe its the salt drawing the moisture from the air then the ACF50 causing it to form into drops. The wifes salty car stood next to the bike just dries out.
Wonder what other winter ACF 50 riders have found ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its the salt causing the moisture to form not the ACF 50. Salt draws in water like a sponge. Although the ACH will protect the surface it doesn't really do much to the salt that is stuck to it

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh that makes sense. So the bike sits in garage with a salt / ACF coating. Humidity / dewpoint / temperature whatever changes and that causes the salt to draw moisture from the air. Without ACF the salted surfaces would perhaps just get damp, however the ACF wont allow the damp to spread and form as a coat and it makes it bead into droplets which is more noticeable.
Anyway did 90 miles today and its salty and dry and ACFd, and tucked away in the garage

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes - I agree. It's salt particles that stick to the acf50 and they are hygroscopic so moisture appears all over the bike. This happens even without acf50 as airborne (or waterborne) salt coats all the bike parts. IMHO it is virtually impossible to remove this salt coating effectively, so you just have to hope that any layer beneath the salt doesn't get compromised. I have left it slightly too long in recoating exposed nuts and bolts around the lower engine and they now have white fur (and worse). I'm wondering about investing in one of those ultrasonic cleaner baths to do these bolts (and the chainguard bolts), but then I'd have to think about what to paint them with afterwards.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts