Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quit often I will take day rides out into the backwoods and don't want to carry luggage of any kind but want to have essentials with me for tire repair or minor roadside repair. I thought some others might be interested in a inexpensive amazon solution. Installed on a 2020 AS with OM asymmetrical racks
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought the same case for my AT. I guess my racks fit differently than yours though as I do not have enough clearance for the swingarm and chainguard so I could not install it. At full suspension bottoming it would hit the case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the same case for my AT. I guess my racks fit differently than yours though as I do not have enough clearance for the swingarm and chainguard so I could not install it. At full suspension bottoming it would hit the case.
What bike and which racks do you have, I measured but have not had it on the road yet

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
112 Posts
Thanks DDevildogg I like this one and never seen it before. I just ordered one for my 2020 AT standard and will see if it fits. FYI - I have OM asymmetrical racks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went out and measured again, I measured in the direction of travel from the top of the tire to the inner rear fender, then from the bottom of the box to the swingarm, the box to the swingarm is 2" greater, whether on the center stand or side stand. I also dropped a line down from the inside of the box to the swing arm and it just I mean just, clears it even if it did reach it some how. Of course your results may vary.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just went out and measured again, I measured in the direction of travel from the top of the tire to the inner rear fender, then from the bottom of the box to the swingarm, the box to the swingarm is 2" greater, whether on the center stand or side stand. I also dropped a line down from the inside of the box to the swing arm and it just I mean just, clears it even if it did reach it some how. Of course your results may vary.
Thanks for checking this!

·
Registered
2020 base standard
54 Posts
I have the same tool box. I thought it had adequate clearance, but looking closer, checking with a straight edge pressed up against the side of the swingarm, I can see it's close up front. I repositioned the front clamp so the front of the box sits further outboard, bent the front bracket on the box straighter, stacked a couple washers, under the bracket, used a longer bolt... it looks like it'll do the trick - there's 8 inches of clearance, swingarm to the front bottom corner of where it might contact the box. There's 9" of suspension travel, and that's 5" further back, at the axle. I have the OM X-frame racks, so limited on positioning the clamps:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Carbon

What I'm seeing from behind... plenty of clearance to the chainguard:

Automotive tire Wheel Tread Tire Hood

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am confident it wont hit as you said 9 " of travel at the axle. Doesn't anyone have a couple of large friends that can bounce on their bike 🙂

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have the same tool box. I thought it had adequate clearance, but looking closer, checking with a straight edge pressed up against the side of the swingarm, I can see it's close up front. I repositioned the front clamp so the front of the box sits further outboard, bent the front bracket on the box straighter, stacked a couple washers, under the bracket, used a longer bolt... it looks like it'll do the trick - there's 8 inches of clearance, swingarm to the front bottom corner of where it might contact the box. There's 9" of suspension travel, and that's 5" further back, at the axle. I have the OM X-frame racks, so limited on positioning the clamps:

What I'm seeing from behind... plenty of clearance to the chainguard:
I got wifey to come out to the shop yesterday, with her and I on the bike bouncing up and down as aggressively as possible, on the softest suspension setting we couldn't get anywhere near hitting the swingarm, Had to be very careful on how I asked her to come out for extra weight to test the bike :)

·
Premium Member
65 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this the same box? This one is available for the UK with free postage it looks the same to me.

looks the same, just a heads up the quality is ok, material is a little light and I doubt it is water tight. I took mine apart and sealed the joints with silicone and ran a strip of gorilla tape on the inside on the joints. But for the price, what I am using it for and where it is located on the bike it will work well

·
Registered
2020 base standard
54 Posts
Definitely not watertight as delivered. There's no glue or sealant between the two plastic halves, and you'd have to install the bracket hardware with RTV silicone or something as water can leak in there too.

Regarding the possibility of the swing arm contacting and damaging the toolbox... I don't think I've ever bottomed my rear suspension! If that toolbox was welded aluminum, and watertight, it'd be perfect. The shape is good, it fits in there quite well.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Thank you both for your reply’s I’ll add it to the never ending list of would likes for the bike. It will only been to store the odd tool hiviz vest etc so not massively worried about waterproofing but will run some sealant around the joints.

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin AS
83 Posts
This seems like a decent set up for the price. Looking at the photos on Amazon, plus what’s been posted here, I’m wondering if this would mount ok with the Mosko Moto mounting wedge on the frame as well. 🤔

·
Registered
33 Posts
This seems like a decent set up for the price. Looking at the photos on Amazon, plus what’s been posted here, I’m wondering if this would mount ok with the Mosko Moto mounting wedge on the frame as well. 🤔
🤔 😅

Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Material property Parallel

Measure and you know 😅

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am working on this set up now, 2020 AT w/ asymmetrical Outback Motortek racks and Mosko Moto bags. At first glance looks like I'll need to doing some customizing 🔧🔨but it should work. The top Mosko mounts are the issue at the moment as they hit the top of the box but only a little and I am trying to mount the box as high as possible. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts