Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Additional vibration after installing SW Motech Lower Crash Guards

7K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Beowulf 
#1 ·
Hello

Just installed my lower SW Motech lower crash guards. Noticing what seems to be a lot more vibration, especially on the footpegs. Previously removed the rubber dampers from the foot pegs so I had better grip when off road.

Has anyone else experienced this, or, if so, any solutions?

I do have the upper crash guards as well and was going to wait a while before installing.

Thanks
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

See less See more
#5 ·
I had a real problem with SW Motech crashbars on a KLR some years ago. The bars would act like a tuning fork and amplify vibration. They ended up changing the design and replacing them.

There is no doubt some crashbar designs can cause vibration. Check that the mounting is correct and the bolts are tightened correctly. I would call SW Moth and ask them what to do. They may offer you some suggestions - more likely they will simply say they've never heard of an issue.

#13 ·
What are crashbar bags?
I had a real problem with SW Motech crashbars on a KLR some years ago. The bars would act like a tuning fork and amplify vibration. They ended up changing the design and replacing them.

There is no doubt some crashbar designs can cause vibration. Check that the mounting is correct and the bolts are tightened correctly. I would call SW Moth and ask them what to do. They may offer you some suggestions - more likely they will simply say they've never heard of an issue.
Yes, I sent SW Motech a message and they basically said that there had been no previous complaints....LOL

#10 ·
I would try to loosen all the bolts and then retorquing them first. Like the others have said the bars themselves are stiffening the frame and not allowing it to flex as it was intended to do, maybe? Worth a shot.

Reactions: Little Bill Daggett
#17 ·
Just a thought. My bars weren't that well aligned on 2017 so I was worried the engine mounting bolts and spacers etc might not be properly aligned as I tightened it all up and they pulled in. Could still hit torque figures distorted but could affect vibration. Tightening procedure important. No increased vibration felt on mine. If I had , that's where I'd look first. I like them. They work with barkbusters on low speed drops and look good I think.

#19 ·
Front to back progressively with most emphasis on engine bolts from memory, checking engine attachment seated. RHS alignment was better than left I think. Was worried but figured engine firmly anchored was most important. All said still worried for a while after

#20 ·
Hey FranklinBC. Just installed my (crash bars engine guards, skid plate all OM) last weekend. I notice the vibration in the foot pegs as well and different clutch noise due to the skid plate resonance. it's been a week now. I relooked at the bolt torques. I've been out three times since and I do not notice the vibration as much any more (acclimatized to it???). But the resonance for the plate is what it is. Don't know if my comment is of any service or reassurance to you. P.S.: nice rubbers! Tank pads are from where?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.