Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to adjust my brake pedal position but changing the spline one notch is too low and adjusting the lock nut and screw tightens the brake light spring too much and keeps the brake light on. Does anyone know what tool to use to get to that brake light switch? It seems freakin impossible with conventional tools. Not even my needle nose pliers could get in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mushroom,

Thanks for this. This actually helps me verify that I have a proper length for the push rod but I still need to adjust my brake light switch. The user manual shows this in the maintenance section but I have no idea how to get to the nut and adjust it with any of my tools. I've attached the section in the manual I'm referring to.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely adjustable, I can see the area you're supposed to turn but it is behind the frame and the hole in the frame is not large enough to make significant movements with pliers. Take a look at my attachment in my previous post you'd probably be able to spot it on your AT as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar problem after installing rear sets (foot pegs) on a race bike. I replaced the mechanical spring loaded OEM switch with a banjo bolt switch which replaces the one on top of the master cylinder. The wiring from the original switch connects to the new banjo bolt. It works by pressure so no adjustment needed. Maybe worth a think about.

Found this video which will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the only way to adjust it was with my finger. I found that there was some play to enable me to lift it up slightly which then allowed me to rotate the wheel with my finger nail. Mine only needed 3/4 of a turn to make the light work as before I altered the pedal down one spine. I found nose pliers did not fit and just started to chew the plastic wheel as you cannot lift it with the pliers in the access point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the only way to adjust it was with my finger. I found that there was some play to enable me to lift it up slightly which then allowed me to rotate the wheel with my finger nail. Mine only needed 3/4 of a turn to make the light work as before I altered the pedal down one spine. I found nose pliers did not fit and just started to chew the plastic wheel as you cannot lift it with the pliers in the access point.
Awesome, I didn't realize there was play to lift it up to access it with your finger. I'm definitely going to try this tonight. Thanks for letting me know this isn't nearly as impossible as it looks.

I also tried the pliers but saw that it was chewing as well so gave up using that tool. Will update if I'm successful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was able to use my fingers to twist but it wasn't easy, needed a good budge so I a flat edge screwdriver and lightly tapped it with a hammer to loosen it up. Got my brake pedal in the perfect spot for my new Sidi boots!

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts