Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this here because I feel like this type of bike is a serious contender for what a lot of fellow AT riders may have been searching for; a canyon carver with descent off road chops that you can ride to work. I'll start by admitting tha in my younger days I have always believed Ducati to be poser bikes and this Dersert Sled seems at first glance to fit that description, but the reviews of this more dirt oriented version claim that it can go anywhere that I'll estimate 99% of ADV riders will take their bikes.
The bike is cheaper and lighter than the AT, though also less power, (maybe similar hp/lbs).
It's funny that I found this bike while searching for reviews on the Pirelli Scorpion STR that was developed for the launch of this new version of the Scrambler and was impressed when I read about the bike.
I guess one of the big drawbacks is the limited space for a passenger; one review suggested more than 20 minutes of saddle time would be inhumane, though many ADV riders go solo anyway. The fuel tank is small, I don't yet know the range, though that might not matter to some.
I like the lighter weight and lower center mass. For all I read of the AT's lower CG, it still feels more top heavy than my DL650.

So the scramblers are less off road capable than many ADVs but likely more capable than 99% of ADV riders require. These bikes are great for urban commute and give up less on tarmac. Seems like a nice dual sport/city bike for those looking at the NC750 to consider.
Main drawbacks that I noted;
Not a two up bike, no way for touring.
No fairing/screen for solo touring
Small fuel tank
I don't know about Ducati reliability, but my ignorance makes me think it may be low.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you aware of the maintenance issues with desdromic engines? Availability of spares? Ducatis are toys for rich people, not dependable everyday bikes.
Not true anymore. There were some issues in the late 1990's. Service intervals are now as long as any other brand.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I believe to ride one of those you will have to dawn a lumberjack shirt, skinny jeans, ear spacers, a long beard, and a big toque with a pom pom (even though it's 90°F) to keep your man bun protected from the sun. You would gag at the thought of drinking one of those cheap under $15 lattes from some mainstream coffee shop like the poor people. You will do yoga while listening to death metal, and scoff at everyone else's musical tastes. You will also need some abstract all black tattoos featuring planetary scenes, plants and/or animals, maybe even some holier than thou quotes that you live by to save the world. But my god will you look good on that bike.

:grin2:

Just kidding, haaah it's a cool bike, couldn't help myself... It's snowing so I'm doing garage stuff, just completed 7 16 hour night shifts, parts are everywhere and I need to be riding... :crying:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C2C, that was hilariously awesome!

It just got me that the bike is less than our beloved AT as are many it seems last time I walked by a Duc dealer.

I do love practical and reliable, which is why my last bike was DL650

·
Registered
379 Posts
The desert sled looks like a fun bike, would love to try one. But it won't be as good for long distance touring as the AT with its zero weather protection.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
My wife rented a Ducati Scrambler for a weekend to see what it was like. Her impression after the weekend was that it was best left for a weekend rental. But a lot of folks do love em :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I believe to ride one of those you will have to dawn a lumberjack shirt, skinny jeans, ear spacers, a long beard, and a big toque with a pom pom (even though it's 90°F) to keep your man bun protected from the sun. You would gag at the thought of drinking one of those cheap under $15 lattes from some mainstream coffee shop like the poor people. You will do yoga while listening to death metal, and scoff at everyone else's musical tastes. You will also need some abstract all black tattoos featuring planetary scenes, plants and/or animals, maybe even some holier than thou quotes that you live by to save the world. But my god will you look good on that bike.
A friend went on a Moto Guzzi forum and noticed when someone asked about fixes for their machine's problem, the usual response was I did xxx to solve the issue. In contrast when the same type question was asked on a Ducati list, the typical response was "My mechanic did this" or "His mechanic did that". He felt like he was in a Hollywood movie where everyone is bragging about how great their psychiatrists are. He bought a Guzzi. Another friend has a Ducati ST-4 and other than some initial issues, it has been one of the most reliable machines he has ever owned. He won't part with it.

If you are happy with it, ride it.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
225 Posts
Are you aware of the maintenance issues with desdromic engines? Availability of spares? Ducatis are toys for rich people, not dependable everyday bikes.
Not true anymore. There were some issues in the late 1990's. Service intervals are now as long as any other brand.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I agree with chrshale on this one. As a former modern Ducati owner i have heard it all regarding "reliability" and such with Ducati's. Its all nothing but bunk with the modern bikes. I know lots of guys that ride them and none of them have had any more reliability issues that any other motorcycle on the road. For me the Multistrada i owned for 9 years was the most reliable motorcycle i have ever owned to date, my Africa Twin excluded since i have not had that one very long. I did very little to that bike in 9 years and over 60k miles. Rode it darn near every day during riding season and never babied it.

Now that said when it comes to Ducati maintenance on the newer 4 valve bikes they are not very DIY friendly on the valve adjustment and belt replacements and that service is crazy expensive to get done. Parts are also super expensive if you ever need them. The smaller dealer network can also be a detriment if you ever need a part somewhere remote. I had an incident once where i busted a front brake lever far from home and had to rent a car to go find one some 3 hours away...

As far as the desert sled goes. They are a fun bike for sure, i have a friend that owns one and i have had a chance to ride it. It is a fun bike but would not be a good bike for touring in my opinion. I also would not do any hard core offroading on it since dirt nape will get real expensive real quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts