Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adventure bags what do you run and how do you like em. I was looking at the Givi Outback Trekker i like them a lot but we can't run a 48l on the exhaust side if im right so it have to be 37/37 or 48/37. What do you guys run and would you buy them again? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure they qualify as "Adventure bags," but I have Shad SH36 paniers (left over from my Versys). They're nice, but I don't think I would go that route again given the chance. Too nice, and I'm too scared to off-road at all with them on the big AT. They're great bags if all you want to do is street ride...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply guys but i am sold to the givi i can have them for a good price, im still not sure if i go the 48/37 or 37/37 route tho

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a set of these panniers. SOLOBOX
Pretty good price for hard boxes, and they're made local to the US. So far, I really like them. I did have to find a way to mount them to my rack, but that wasn't bad. For $350 per set, I'd definitely recommend. I have a 39L for the left side and a 33L for the right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run Heppco Becker racks on my AT. When needed I use Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags. They are 19l each and they are a great cost conscious option. They are not as convenient to get on and off as some other options out there in my opinion. Furthermore not to go down the rabbit hole on the hard vs soft debate but I still think soft luggage is the safer option if you intend to go off road loaded up. If they were available at the time I would have probably gone with the Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddle Bag as they are almost twice the capacity fully expanded. If I ever did get a set of hard boxes I would go with Jesse, but that would mean new racks too....so that probably won't happen on this AT for me. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered the Honda Panniers and Top Box complete set up for my 2017 AT . I realize they aren't the most highly regarded bags but I really like the quick mount and the fact you don't have to add a frame . I love looking at all the options and getting advice from fellow AT riders .

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the backcountry Mosko Moto panniers, Mosko Moto duffel bag and their tank bag. Really like the support they give and the bulletproof material they use on their stuff. I transferred them from my KLR to my AT. It's all well thought out by riders who ride themselves in the backwoods, foreign countries and wherever the rode or adventure will take them. Even if you don't buy anything their website has lots of interesting information on their travels. I'm not sponsored or work for them, just really like their stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the backcountry Mosko Moto panniers, Mosko Moto duffel bag and their tank bag. Really like the support they give and the bulletproof material they use on their stuff. I transferred them from my KLR to my AT. It's all well thought out by riders who ride themselves in the backwoods, foreign countries and wherever the rode or adventure will take them. Even if you don't buy anything their website has lots of interesting information on their travels. I'm not sponsored or work for them, just really like their stuff.

Totaly agree I have Mosko gear there quality is Excellent well worth the money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know that a lot of riders use aluminum panniers but after having them on my DRZ400 and catching my leg once when I put my foot down I quickly decided that soft bags were the way too go.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought the Honda factory hard bags. So far these bags have worked perfectly. 42,000 miles with no problems
For my purposes these are currently the only viable option available. The primary reason I ride a motorcycle rather than drive a car is to avoid as much as possible coming to a full stop in traffic queues. Luggage that is wider than the handlebars is, in my opinion a daft idea. When filtering (lane splitting) I need to be confident that if the bikes handlebars/mirrors will fit through a gap, the rest of the bike will follow. Too often I have ridden past ADV bikes which are stuck in a queue solely due to the width of the panniers.

The OE panniers aren't ideal, but they are in my opinion the best option. It would be great if, as the bikes increase in popularity one of the after market manufacturers produce aluminium boxes that use the original connection points, so no need for 'Scaffolding' and the extra with that they dictate.

In the short term, for the rest of this year, I will be using a soft 'Dry Bag' to carry my luggage. A 49L Ortlieb will fit the pillion/rack perfectly and that will have to do for my yearly trip to the Eifel/Ardennes later in the year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have depnding on the type of expedition, both Honda OEMs and Mosko Reckless 80 !

OEM's as long as you make sure the seals are not dry and making contact, these boxes are fine, I used them in rainy Norway for days without any leaks, just put DW40 on
the seals to clean them and could see if somewhere would not touch and be waterproof.

But the Mosko system is freaking great, I rode in Andalusia last year and Tabernas desert, light and efficient even protected the bike from a slide, the fabric looks like new !

I can even use the Reckless on my 2nd bike a Fazer 8, honestly would recommend people checking these out, also the people at Mosko are very nice so supporting them.

Reactions: Eric2019ATAS
1 - 14 of 14 Posts