Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've brimmed the tank a couple of times and got circa 250 miles when its reached 1 bar left on the fuel gauge.

I've then topped it back up with another 16/18 ish litres.

This, logically leaves somewhere between 4 and 6 litres sloshing about in there, as it has the larger tank.

So my question is, if I keep running past the last single bar left on the indicator...

What does the gauge then show? Reserve? And does it change the mileage left indicator to reflect the remaining 5/6 litres?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've only run my tank low one time and the last bar started to flash so I assume that is the low fuel or reserve indicator. I never noticed what it says in the manual about low fuel but its probably in there.
The mileage left to empty does continue to count down.
I did not make notes on how many liters it took to fill but I did go another good 20km at highway speed before i pulled int to fill up.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,975 Posts
The ATAS is toted as 1 gal. as reserve, so I take it that when the fuel light comes on that’s considered “reserve’ and there’s approximately 1 gallon of fuel left... or 3.5 liter’s

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,975 Posts
I did read the manual... doesn't give any clarity to the question frustratingly.
LOL!! Figures, I just found it funny that that’s say 1 gal. (here in the US) reserve. Yet there’s
no petcock on the bike. If you run a AT till it starts to sputter you’re just DOA , no reaching down to flip on the reserve.
Then I guess I can say my H2 has a “reserve” because it has a (fuel) dummy light too

Reactions: MrRobb

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've ran mine to fairly low, think I got about 23litres in on one fill with a range left indicating about 10miles (it was a while ago). Since then I've heard of others running dry before running down the range left so I tend to fill up a little earlier when its convenient,

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just ran my to flashing last bar and fuel light this morning, and it showed 51 mile range left. went about 7 miles to a gas station and still showed 46 mile range. It took 5,4 gal dead even calculating (not computer) 47.4 mpg for the gas burned, and the range **** close for the 1 gal+/- left in the tank. Have yet to run it dry, but I am pretty happy with the performance so far.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,975 Posts
Yea I guess the bottom line should be treat what ever range (DTE) number is best for you as “empty” I’m sure most of us in urban areas would be fine with 20-25 miles to empty as “bone dry” empty. And of course more rural areas a lot higher number. One things for sure I personally wouldn’t count on it being 100% accurate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ran out completely in regional Victoria Australia. The light came on, I consulted Google who directed me to a closed fuel station. The range counted down to 20km with only 10km to the nearest fuel station. It then ran out, it went from 20km to zero and spluttered to a halt.
What a wonderful place I now live in, 4 people stopped to see if they could help. One went to the nearest town and brought back fuel. Another who had passed previously and apologised he didn't have any fuel cans with him, wen't home and returned with 10L of fuel!.
It restored my faith in the human race!

The moral of the story? When the light comes on, find a fuel station ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
I ran out completely in regional Victoria Australia. The light came on, I consulted Google who directed me to a closed fuel station. The range counted down to 20km with only 10km to the nearest fuel station. It then ran out, it went from 20km to zero and spluttered to a halt.
What a wonderful place I now live in, 4 people stopped to see if they could help. One went to the nearest town and brought back fuel. Another who had passed previously and apologised he didn't have any fuel cans with him, wen't home and returned with 10L of fuel!.

Nice experience Gordon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've run out of fuel on my ASAS. It said I had 30 miles left but I ran out after 21. Thankfully I was just at the petrol station.

Average range until the light flashes is about 280 miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
I've run out of fuel on my ASAS. It said I had 30 miles left but I ran out after 21. Thankfully I was just at the petrol station.

Average range until the light flashes is about 280 miles.
How much fuel did you put into the tank afterwards?

Did you fill the tank to the top?

From this, you will be able to calculate how much fuel was left in the tank (ATAS) when you "ran out".

·
Registered
193 Posts

“The moral of the story? When the light comes on, find a fuel station ASAP.”

the moral of the story is fill up BEFORE the light goes on...😆

·
Registered
585 Posts
“The moral of the story? When the light comes on, find a fuel station ASAP.”

the moral of the story is fill up BEFORE the light goes on...😆
An article by journalists crossing Australia in the late '70's or early '80's on bikes showed a road sign going into the Outback. The message on the sign was "Last Gas For 700 Miles". You either carry additional fuel or have it cached along the planned route and hope no one uses it before you get there.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,975 Posts
It calculates the mileage by your average, not by current consumption. So the DTE is approximate, also your tank was NOT empty.
It’s called the “gas trick” or reserves reserve.
Almost all motorcycle tanks are horse shoe shaped, So the gas trick is to lay the bike on the side of the pick-up for the fuel pump or the old school petcock. There is anywhere from 1-2 quarts of gas on “the other side”.
I’ve known people to get another 12/22 miles doing that..
So in reality that DTE was closer then you thought.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts