Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the North East of England, UK, and I have Just ordered a manual AT Adventure Sport. Bit of a risk I suppose as I have never seen the Adventure version !
I have had a test ride on the 2016 manual AT however. I did like the bike but didn't buy one then as I wasn't happy with the corroded spokes issue. At 6 foot five I like tall bikes and 920mm seat height sounds great to me. I also like the flat seat which should allow me to slide back on the seat to cater for my long back and arms. Tall people have a real issue with stepped seats - its like not being able to slide your seat back in a car The AT I test rode had the high seat fitted making it flat and I suppose I was sitting on the passenger bit of the seat !
At age 64 maybe the ATAS will be my last bike, who knows. Over the last 50 years I have had a bit of a mixture. In order as far as I remember:
BSA Gold Flash, BSA Gold Star DBD34, Suzuki GS 1000, Honda CBX 6, Suzuki DR600, BMW K100RS, BMW GS 1150 Adventure, Honda Blackbird, Kawasaki GTR 1400 , BMW 1200RT, BMW 1200GS, Honda CRF 250L. The current bike is a water cooled R1200RT. One question - I charge my current RT battery via the accessory socket - can the AT battery be charged via the Accessory socket ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Was that from Newcastle Motorcycles? did they know what the pricing is for the 2018 versions yet or is that TBC?

·
Registered
119 Posts
One question - I charge my current RT battery via the accessory socket - can the AT battery be charged via the Accessory socket ?
Congratulations! It looks great.

The 2017 doesn't come with n accessory port as standard, but I believe the fuse on the OEM is 2 amps. So as long as it doesn't push more than 2 amps, you should be fine?
I have a charging plug installed on the left side of the bike right by the battery that is very convenient.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congratulations! It looks great.

The 2017 doesn't come with n accessory port as standard, but I believe the fuse on the OEM is 2 amps. So as long as it doesn't push more than 2 amps, you should be fine?
I have a charging plug installed on the left side of the bike right by the battery that is very convenient.
The OP is buying the newer adventure sport model which has different equipment as STD which might include a socket?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It does include a socket, but I would be surprised if it was different from the one you can buy from honda for the 2016/17 models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When i grow up, I wanna buy as many bikes, and as fun ones, as you!! (actually, I am older than you, but underperform your selection of rides!)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I suppose quite a few different types.
The one I regret selling - the BSA Gold Star
The one I enjoyed riding the most - the BMW GS Adventure 1150
The one I enjoyed playing with in the garage - the CRF 250L - so light to push aound and fun looking.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I charge my current RT battery via the accessory socket - can the AT battery be charged via the Accessory socket ?
If you use an Optimate (or similar) you could fit the battery lead they come with which then gives you a dedicated charge connection. You can then use an adapter cable on that same battery lead for other things. I use it for my Keis heated vest which saved me wiring the Keis supplied lead to the battery. There is a load of other adapters as well for other uses, e.g. an extra 12v cigarette lighter style socket. You just have to be mindful of the fuse used in the cable connected to the battery for what you expect the load to be. Had I my time again with wiring this bike I definitely would have purchased an Eastern Beaver but found out about it too late!

Best of luck with the ATAS, enjoy!

link to Optimate cable options here https://www.optimate.co.uk/?category=SAE+Accessory+Leads

·
Registered
977 Posts
Looking forward to pictures and information about your new bike.

I've bought a couple bikes based on stats, reviews and the looks of the bike - the Africa Twin and a 2005 VFR Interceptor. Both bikes were exactly what I'd hoped and even exceeded my expectations.

Good luck with your new ride! Sounds like it may be a bit of a wait before they arrive.

I live in the North East of England, UK, and I have Just ordered a manual AT Adventure Sport. Bit of a risk I suppose as I have never seen the Adventure version !
I have had a test ride on the 2016 manual AT however. I did like the bike but didn't buy one then as I wasn't happy with the corroded spokes issue. At 6 foot five I like tall bikes and 920mm seat height sounds great to me. I also like the flat seat which should allow me to slide back on the seat to cater for my long back and arms. Tall people have a real issue with stepped seats - its like not being able to slide your seat back in a car The AT I test rode had the high seat fitted making it flat and I suppose I was sitting on the passenger bit of the seat !
At age 64 maybe the ATAS will be my last bike, who knows. Over the last 50 years I have had a bit of a mixture. In order as far as I remember:
BSA Gold Flash, BSA Gold Star DBD34, Suzuki GS 1000, Honda CBX 6, Suzuki DR600, BMW K100RS, BMW GS 1150 Adventure, Honda Blackbird, Kawasaki GTR 1400 , BMW 1200RT, BMW 1200GS, Honda CRF 250L. The current bike is a water cooled R1200RT. One question - I charge my current RT battery via the accessory socket - can the AT battery be charged via the Accessory socket ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the new bike

Ironically I was at BMW Motorrad yesterday as my BMW helmet is leaking at the visor. I got talking to a senior rep and he had only good things to say about Honda from the capabilities to the reliability on the under stressed engines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts