Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Adventure Sport rear sag

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nigelpugh7 
#1 ·
Just been setting up my rear sag on the AT Adventure Sport. The AS has a bit more suspension travel (240mm at rear wheel spindle, AT 220mm.) than the AT and probably a stronger spring.
Previous posters have had to wind up the pre load to near max on the AT unless they were pretty light.
I weigh 16.5 stone in riding gear (104kg). I understand Honda designed the suspension based on a 75 KG rider. I also intend to ride with the OEM panniers which weigh 13KG a pair with my bits and bobs in (not touring packed)
So I did the static test with me sat on with full gear and panniers on. Well that's not strictly true - I took the LH pannier off to get a measurement and put a rucksac on that weighed the same as LH pannier.
I was aiming for a sag of 33% which equates to 80mm travel (33% of 240)
The results were as follows

7 clicks from soft 112mm of travel 47% of travel Way too soft
17 clicks from soft 102mm of travel 42.5% of travel Better but still too soft
29 clicks from soft 80mm of travel 33% of travel Spot on

I think there are another 6 clicks left, 35 total. So this is looking pretty good, leaves me a few clicks if touring with panniers fully loaded.
I plotted the results on a graph and it looks like the spring characteristic is not linear. So a click at 30 is worth more than a click at 7.
Hope folks find this useful.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope, no changes other than rear sag. Rider weight and load carried affects rear sag most so I figured I would leave the rest alone for now. I believe the AS has stiffer forks . The clicks on the rear sag adjuster can hardly be felt but they are every 180 degrees at 9 and 3 position. I painted a white line on one of the handwheel flutes and after every full turn I stopped and wrote down the new figure. With 35 clicks available its amazing how easy it is to lose track of where you are and doubt yourself.

#5 ·
I think this is something I need to play with on my ATAS too, mine seems to be a very taught, almost stiff ride.

Im 100KG so probably about the same as you when I’ve got my gear on.

Thanks for posting the settings, will give my suspension a few tweaks later today when I take it out for a ride to see how good my fender extender works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.