Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My African Twin is in nexted week.i hv no confidence in the oem tyres.which of these tyres should I go for in damp cold wet climate.Trail max 3;Continental Kc 70;Pirelli Scorpions;Continental Trail Attack 2s;Pirelli MT 90 s.80% road with light 20% off road.also are the heated grips sorted and if so are they worth getting.Cant Wait?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Scorpiontires I've tested before on other bikes and I like them for 80% asphalt, but don't have any long
life.

TKC70 I've tested and never more on my GSA LC, strange wear, very bad length of life, mine was totally
finished after 4500km (in front) with very strange pattern with big differences in level. In the straights they were also
very nervous especially from when they were new. Good grip though on asphalt when new, no problem to
drive hard with them.

Anakee 3 I've tested several times, superlonglife, over 10000km easily but a bit high in sound and really
slippery when wet tarmac.

My friends have Metzeler Tourance Next which they are really pleased with and I gonna test them next time.

This was all on GSA LC so not 100% sure on AT but, should be similar I guess.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glen.what do u think of Oem tyres.hv u done much miles on them.what will u change too?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rockie

I only have 2600 miles on my AT so I cannot tell you how long the Dunlop Trailmax tires will last. Maybe only 6000 on the rear. They are Okay on the tarmac. Never had any scary moments. They are 90-10 tires at best. Not the best on the gravel and I will switch brand when they wear out or before a long ride (8000- 12000 miles).
I will be using the MEFO explorer on the front (a Good handling tire and grippy on and off road. It would be about a 60-40. I have gotten 13,600 miles and still tread left. I will use the Mitas E0-7 for the back. I have seen reports of 12,000 miles on that one.
I have used the Pirelli MT90 Scorpion on the back of my KLR. It handled great, wet, dry, dirt, and tarmac. It was worn out in 4000 miles.:crying:
I love the front Pirelli MT90 Scorpion AT. Great traction and lasts for 13,000 miles. I have one on the KLR now with 8000 miles on it. The center tread started at 5mm and has 4mm now. It will go the distance. The MEFO and Scorpions wear normally with no cupping, chunking out or stupid stuff like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, I can suggest the following tyres after trying out many over the previous 40 years of riding and think that I have finally come up with the perfect combination (that suits my riding). I say this, because tyres are a very personal choice that need to be suited to your riding needs. For example, I spend a large amount of time off road and I need something that has superior grip in the rutted and rocky tracks as well as confidence when I get back onto the tar. If you are a 50/50 rider, then purchase the Mitas EO7's for the back (not front), they are next to useless in the gravel. I would suggest a Motoz adventure or tractionator GPS. Otherwise something a little less aggresive - most manufacturers make a good 50/50.
For the more off road adventurer, I suggest the Motoz tractionator adventure for the back and a TKC 80 for the front. I used the Motoz tractionator adventrue front tyre recently on a four day (advanced trails), adventure and found the front tyre great in the dirt, rocks and gravel, but not so good in the sand.
Motoz tyres are a great new product with the Adventure range, the GPS models look like a great 50/50 tyre also, and I would consider them over the Midas if I was going on a long road adventure (we have lots here in OZ).
Anyway, not sure if you good folks in the US or other parts of this amazing world have acces the the Motoz range (look them up)!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chris,don't think can get any of those tyres in Ireland.wld u be interested in swapping some hot weather for some nice cold damp rainy stuff?How do I like yr AT.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Having picked up my bike last week I am having Conti TA2 fitted on Wednesday. I will be 95% road so having checked out the views and reviews either these or the Pirellis seemed to be the way to go, I am sure I would have been happy with either. I went for the high speed rating and will have HD tubes fitted. Any tyre will be better in the wet than the OEMs which were down right dangerous.

If you have the choice I would skip the heated grips. I am not aware that the latest bikes are significantly better than the 2016 models (I could be wrong). Mine get warm but not hot, and riding last week at 10c with either summer or winter gloves it was not great. Mine came with the bike but if I bought new I would save the money and get the Oxfords.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Wilco,thanks for reply.according to some on the forum the Pirelli,s wear very quick.Bout 4K.did u buy new or was there millage on your AT.if new did u get any deal off bike shop to change.mine said he will allow me new tyres at half price and he will take the new oem,s.is yr bike 2017,grips are supposed to hv fix??.hv u go oem panniers and top box or did u go after market.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why Harley Davidson tubes?are they a heavier grade.i asked a large tyre shop,owner seems well up on what's best.he said thicker tubes ok off road where u only hv quick spurts but on tar bike is constantly fast and heavy tubes could dangerously over heat????

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Rockie, My bike is a January 2016 model with 3k miles on it. I have never ditched a set of OEM tyres before their time before but these ones are awful. I didn't do a deal with the bike shop as I wasn't expecting them to be so bad.

The grips on the 2017 bikes maybe better but I am not sure the issue has been totally solved, and if it has it is probably only recently so there is a good chance that there are a lot of pre-update new bikes in the supply chain. If you go for them I would just get an agreement from the dealer to swap them out if they are not what you want. I lived in NI for a few years and decent grips are important. :smile2:

My bike came with the touring pack which has most of the Honda extras. The panniers are OK for road use. If I was starting from scratch I would probably get a metal set rather than the plastic Honda ones, but they have the benefits of being light, lockable with the ignition key, no rack weight, and narrow for the space they provide. They will be fine for me.

The HD (heavy Duty) tubes are for the few times I do go off-road. Just a bit better pinch protection. I also read somewhere that they are better for use with a tubeless radial which the Conti rear is I think. That might be BS though. As long as the tyre pressures are OK the manufacturers say heat will not be a problem. However I am no expert so if your guy tells you to go for standard ones then I would listen. If you believe the interweb the main thing is to use tubes stamped R for Radial.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I concur with Wilco10’s advice.

Tyres ContiTrailAttack 2 On my AT and in my opinion a big improvement over stock tyres.
If you are looking for a more off-road (70% road / 30% off-road) Continental TKC 70 receive
excellent reviews and according to Motorrad Magazine are even better in the wet than the ContiTrailAttack 2

Grips Go for the Oxford Premium hotgrips. They are NEW and designed for the UK weather market with nine heat settings. You will save a significant amount over OEM. I don’t have them on my bike but so wish I had. The OEM are close to useless. I’m waiting the Honda fix however it is reported that this is also next to useless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rockie

The OEM Dunlop Trailmax tires were marginal in the cold or rain. I back off a bit on the curves with those tires and rain. The Pirelli Scorpions were great in the rain. Like I said only 4000 miles on the back and 13,000 + miles on the front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts