Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post to the forum. Hoping to get some advice here as I plan on buying a 2017 AT and hopefully sell my G650GS while at it!

I've had the G650GS for a year and while it's a nice bike, I feel it's a bit too cramped 2up (I'm 6'0 180lbs and my gf is 5'5 120lbs). I measured the seat length of the AT and it's about 32" while my BMW is only 26". I have Wolfman soft side panniers and the XL Wolfman duffel on the back on a rack. I think I will stick to soft luggage on my new setup.

So my idea was to upgrade to either a R1200GS or AT. I went to both BMW and Honda today and I really like the AT!! At the BMW dealership I felt as though they were knocking other bikes (KTM, Honda) and they tried to sell me a F800GS which is a bit roomier than my current bike but I think for the price the AT is a much better proposition. The R1200GS looked nice but it's expensive and to be honest it reminded me too much about my G650GS (a lot of the same body features, etc..). Also since I live in the city, the AT has a slightly narrower disposition. So I think I'm sold on the AT....

I have this weekend cut out to fully read all the posts on this forum but I wanted to post this to solicit some general advice since when I asked the Honda dealer what options I would have for the AT he only mentioned DCT vs clutch. I'm a bit confused since reading here about heated grips, center stands, etc.. and I want to make sure I order this thing properly and don't have to get it serviced after the fact for the things I missed:

1. I will go with the clutch version
2. I read Oxford heated grips are better than OEM
3. I believe the corroding spokes issue is addressed in 2017
4. Should I ask for the dealer to add center peg? I've only used the side kickstand on my F650gs, and don't recall any situation where I wished for a center stand (except perhaps when adding racks to the bike)
5. Any recommendations on side racks to mount my Wolfman panniers? The Givi side rack I got on my G650GS I feel is too small and the Wolfman's don't attach nicely...
6. For adventuring and camping I like to use the Wolfman XL duffel but it's wide and it droops down unless the rear rack is at least 24" or so wide. Any ideas on what might be best to use? I thought that maybe adding an aluminum plate to the bottom of the bag might help its rigidity?
7. I asked if I can get knobbies on the AT but he said it only comes with stock wheels.
8. I read about some windscreen modification kit that everyone recommends, is that to increase the height of the windscreen and allow you to mount your phone above gauges? Currently I use a RAM mount to my handle bar but having my phone (GPS) above the gauges would be nice.
8. Any other ideas or anything else I should look into for this bike?

He said the cost of the bike is 12800 + tax and there's no freight charge or other charges, I take it this price is probably non-negotiable, but I'm paying cash and wondering if I should ask for anything thrown in? Or do I just pay up at face value? The 2016 model was only a $500 discount and I want the tri color, so I'll pay up for the 2017.

Sorry for the long post but I had to write down what's on my mind!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a DCT. There are so many ways to go with this bike that it is overwhelming sorting through bash plates, guards, stands, grips, tires, paniers, etc. So my approach was to buy the bike and sort it out as I went along. I skipped the OEM heated grips and will go with oxford touring. I put a stand on afterwards, very simple. Shinko big block 804 805 tires I put on myself because I wanted to know if I could repair and replace on the road (that is a yes). I know you wanted the dealer to just roll it out for you all spec'd, but the options are so varied I found it requires quite a bit of evaluation and reading. Three websites jump out as they have bike specific product lists, Revzilla, Twisted Throttle, and RockyMountain.

Price sounds fair to me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I've spent the weekend reading this forum and I've made a list of things to buy. I already ordered the Bratzen screenshield riser. I also noticed that I can probably just attach RAM mount to the stock bar above the gauges and I'll probably go for the X-Grip to hold my phone. I'll probably go ahead and swap out the footpegs for pivots for offroading. I'm going to shop around a few dealers in my area and see who can get it the fastest and for the best price. Any thoughts on the best place to sell my current bike? I've posted on craigslist already but not sure if I should try other venues too (would hate to pay double for parking in NYC until the bike is sold!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would encourage you to reconsider the DCT model. I have a manual and I'm happy with it, but my next AT will have dual clutch. Read some of the reviews by long-time off road riders - even highly skilled riders are raving about it.

As Flyer mentioned, spoon on your own knobbies, then you have confidence that you have the proper tools and ability when you need them. I bought some Mitas E07 's and they seem like a pretty good mix for asphalt and dirt.

When I brought my bike home, the first things I bought were grip puppies and crash bars. You're going to have a blast on this bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As pvanryn mentioned he has a clutch but is considering a DCT. I suggest you might like that also. Why I purchased it is because on rough trails at low stalling speeds I don't want to be feathering a clutch while I am hanging onto the bars twisting the throttle. If you turn the traction control off you just cannot bog or stall the DCT. I also just installed the foot shifter which is awesome so that I can still keep the "feel" of a regular bike. Up and down shifts can be accomplished in any settings just by either hitting the up or down paddle or the footshifter. Or I can just let it do it all, which is handy for when I am packing something and do not need to use a clutch lever.

So its worth throwing a trade on the 650 in to see if you can get close to where you want to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts