Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ATAS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction.

I recently had a Shinko 705 put on the rear of my 18 Adventure Sport. I replaced a worn out 805. Now, whenever I hit exactly 46mph there is a high pitched hum or whining sound. It does not matter what gear I am in or what RPM am doing.

It is not as loud when I am accelerating and the engine is under load. It’s still audible, but not as loud. It is quite loud when decelerating, though. As soon as I hit 46 mph, it sings for a second or two.

It should be noted that the shop that changed the tire for me set the chain tension way too tight. It had about an inch of slack. I set the tension to about 50 mm which is 2 inches. That is the minimum tension to be in spec for the ATAS. I set tension with the bike on the side stand.

My question is whether y’all think I should add a little more slack, or is the Shinko known to behave this way? I wasn’t able to find anything on this.

Next time I will stop being lazy and just change it myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
Another lazy thought: The direction of the tire correct?

Some Forum folks have said various 50/50 tires (and similar) are a bit noisy. A "Search Community" query might turn up something.

In the meantime, welcome to the Forum @HashbrownWilliams. Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve gotten vibrations like that at certain speeds from improperly balanced tires, but never audible. Not super easy to check besides asking the guy to rebalance them.

Try a different tire pressure, try going down five pounds. Easy enough to check the spokes too, tap them, see if any sound flat.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
457 Posts
Shinko 705 and 805 are completely different tires are you on 705 shooes now ?

my new 50/50 tires usually have to run 100 Swedish miles before they become quiet on tarmac

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
313 Posts
"Swedish miles"

Haha nice.

How many miles or Kms have you put on the tires. I have had the 705's on other bikes and never had this issue. I would say it is just the tread pattern making noise and you are hypersensitive to it because the tight chain tension planted the seed of incompetence, on the garage's part, in your head.

Like DT said double check the direction of travel is correct. From what I remember some of the 705 sizes can be used for front or rear tires so they may have both arrows on the sidewall. However the orientation is opposite. the rear tire tread should be like an arrow pointing toward the direction of travel, from looking at the tire from behind the "V" of the tread should being like /\. The front tire is the opposite, when looking at the front tire from the front the "V" should resemble a \/.

Best of luck, please let us know what you come up. It will help out the other riders looking to get 705's.(y)

·
Registered
2018 ATAS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I appreciate all of your replies so far. The first thing I did was make sure the tires were oriented correctly based on the directional arrow. I have heard stories of shops mounting tires incorrectly in that regard. There are some new weights on my rim so I know they at least attempted to balance the wheel. Now if they did it correctly, I don't know.

Right now, I am only running the 705 on the rear. I have a tkc 80 on the front because that still has a lot of life left.

Maybe I am hypersensitive, but what puzzles me is that the sound is really only at 46mph, and it is really loud. It almost sounds like a sequential transmission in a racecar if you know what that sounds like. Like a high pitched whining. Like a supercharger whine, but only for a second.

I have put around 200 miles on them so far. I will continue to monitor and provide updates as I get them. Next time I ride, I will try to record a soundbite.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you want to stretch some grey matter, when you get the soundbite, also download an app to measure the frequency of the 'whine'.
Once you know the frequency, start playing around with a bit of math.
Count the knobs on the tire and find out the tire circumstance. Calculate how many of the knobs contact the road per second and then invert that number to find the frequency of the knob/road surface contact frequency.
Doubt that frequency will match the frequency of the whine, but maybe a multiple of it, or a harmonic.
If so, tire confirmed !
Ps....don't attempt without beer !!

·
Registered
752 Posts

I recently had a Shinko 705 put on the rear of my 18 Adventure Sport. I replaced a worn out 805. Now, whenever I hit exactly 46mph there is a high pitched hum or whining sound. It does not matter what gear I am in or what RPM am doing.

It is not as loud when I am accelerating and the engine is under load. It’s still audible, but not as loud. It is quite loud when decelerating, though. As soon as I hit 46 mph, it sings for a second or two.

It should be noted that the shop that changed the tire for me set the chain tension way too tight. It had about an inch of slack. I set the tension to about 50 mm which is 2 inches. That is the minimum tension to be in spec for the ATAS. I set tension with the bike on the side stand.

My question is whether y’all think I should add a little more slack, or is the Shinko known to behave this way? I wasn’t able to find anything on this.

Read this post about how to establish proper chain tension. Chain slack on ADV bikes with lots of suspension travel is a lot different than for street bikes. The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread
Essentially - with bike on centre stand, midpoint between countershaft sprocket and rear axle (380mm forward from axle) you should be able to push the chain up until it 'just' touches the slider. There is a small triangle on the top slider at this point for useful reference.
You can also make a quick reference tool as Motocclo describes.
Slot in tool,top of slot, 62mm from lower side of swingarm.
Slot only needs to be 5 to 8mm wide

·
Registered
54 Posts

I would guess it's the tire. My ATS came with a Kenda that at exactly 64 mph would start screaming like a cat that had its tail stepped on and would scream till around 84 mph. It was so bad that even with earplugs in it would give me a head ache. I switched to the Dunlop Trailmax that just hums when I'm on pavement but has a bad tendency to easily lock up.
Try playing with the air pressure but its probably just the tire

·
Registered
54 Posts

I would guess it's the tire. My ATS came with a Kenda that at exactly 64 mph would start screaming like a cat that had its tail stepped on and would scream till around 84 mph. It was so bad that even with earplugs in it would give me a head ache. I switched to the Dunlop Trailmax that just hums when I'm on pavement but has a bad tendency to easily lock up.
Try playing with the air pressure but its probably just that tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
Try playing with the air pressure but its probably just the tire
RE Dunlop Trailmax: Yeah, be careful, the tire does lock up easily.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
226 Posts
Read this post about how to establish proper chain tension. Chain slack...
Essentially - with bike on centre stand...
beware, the Owners book indicates the chain slack to be 40+-5mm with the bike on the side stand. With the bike on the center stand and the rear wheel on the air the suspension will be fully extended and with more chain slack, resulting in a stiffer chain when the bike is again on the ground

·
Registered
752 Posts
beware, the Owners book indicates the chain slack to be 40+-5mm with the bike on the side stand. With the bike on the center stand and the rear wheel on the air the suspension will be fully extended and with more chain slack, resulting in a stiffer chain when the bike is again on the ground
That's why my post was specific in stating 66mm slack (edit - measured from bottom of swingarm to centreline of link pin half-way between axle and counter shaft sprocket) when on the main stand.
Honda's 40+-5mm on the side stand is too tight even when done with 7-clicks preload and no accessories, and highly variable - full rear suspension preload or heavy gear / accessories on the bike make a big difference.
For sure if you use Honda's number on the main stand the chain will be too tight, chain life will be short, noise will be high and bearings will suffer.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
457 Posts
I appreciate all of your replies so far. The first thing I did was make sure the tires were oriented correctly based on the directional arrow. I have heard stories of shops mounting tires incorrectly in that regard. There are some new weights on my rim so I know they at least attempted to balance the wheel. Now if they did it correctly, I don't know.

Right now, I am only running the 705 on the rear. I have a tkc 80 on the front because that still has a lot of life left.

Maybe I am hypersensitive, but what puzzles me is that the sound is really only at 46mph, and it is really loud. It almost sounds like a sequential transmission in a racecar if you know what that sounds like. Like a high pitched whining. Like a supercharger whine, but only for a second.

I have put around 200 miles on them so far. I will continue to monitor and provide updates as I get them. Next time I ride, I will try to record a soundbite.
i think it can be the combination off the tkc 80 and the new 705 that gives a resonance vibration @46mph it might be disappear if you replace the front tire with a 705
and i think that to tight chain tension will produce vibration @ all speeds 🤔

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
313 Posts
One Swedish mil = 6.21371192 miles
Wow I though you were just making a joke. I didn't know Sweden even used miles, I assumed they were full metric. Thanks for the awesome trivia answer. 😀👍

Reactions: Svendus
1 - 17 of 17 Posts