Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the board, I felt in love in Africa Twin, earlier I was riding KTM EXC 450, Husaberg FE570 and similar staff. Now I want something more calm.

My question is what would be your choice - 2017 with good discount or 2018 for full price? I thinking about DCT.

Cheers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't believe that there are any differences between the 17 and 18 in the standard models... However, on the Adventure Sport Anniversary model, there are many changes...

·
Registered
178 Posts
2018 with a deal/discount. It’s a better bike than the 16/17’s. But if cash is the main sticking point then get a good deal on a 17.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't believe that there are any differences between the 17 and 18 in the standard models...
Actually there are quite a few:
- new dash layout
- new traction control with 7 steps
- throttle by wire
- stainless spokes
- self-canceling indicators
- revised exhaust and engine mapping to improve sound and mid-range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2018 with a deal/discount. It’s a better bike than the 16/17’s. But if cash is the main sticking point then get a good deal on a 17.
Cash is not a deal breaker but a few $ that I save I can invest in some mods so that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually there are quite a few:
- new dash layout
- new traction control with 7 steps
- throttle by wire
- stainless spokes
- self-canceling indicators
- revised exhaust and engine mapping to improve sound and mid-range.
And new anodising to sort the fork wear problem ;0) dct is the way to go :0p :0), but have you had a go on one, find a dealer that has a manual and dct and try both. The 18 dct’s have an auto blip function when changing down, which adds to the experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the 18 is a way to go. I want to try DCT, I was always dreaming about Rekluse clutch in my dirt bikes and it seems that DCT is some kind of substitute for it so it should be good for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And new anodising to sort the fork wear problem ;0) dct is the way to go :0p :0), but have you had a go on one, find a dealer that has a manual and dct and try both. The 18 dct’s have an auto blip function when changing down, which adds to the experience.
Looks like the 18 is a way to go. I want to try DCT, I was always dreaming about Rekluse clutch in my dirt bikes and it seems that DCT is some kind of substitute for it so it should be good for me.

Best mate from school lives in Beckley WV, he’s looking at getting a ATAS dct next year, anyway, he popped into his local Honda dealer and enquirer about the new bikes, only to get a reply of “what new Africa Twins”, the dealer denied knowing anything about any new Honda Africa Twin, and suggested he buy their current stock! :mad: He educated them and then walked away. :grin2:

If you decide you want a new 2018 AT, go for it and don’t let the dealer give you any bull***t. :wink2:

The 18 dct’s has an auto blip function when changing down, which adds to the experience.

That’s got to make it worth every extra penny/cent. :wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best mate from school lives in Beckley WV, he’s looking at getting a ATAS dct next year, anyway, he popped into his local Honda dealer and enquirer about the new bikes, only to get a reply of “what new Africa Twins”, the dealer denied knowing anything about any new Honda Africa Twin, and suggested he buy their current stock! :mad: He educated them and then walked away. :grin2:

If you decide you want a new 2018 AT, go for it and don’t let the dealer give you any bull***t. :wink2:
I don't have that problem here in Poland, local dealer have 17,18, ATAS 17 and 18, DCT, manual etc. so it's only my problem what to choose :wink2:

That’s got to make it worth every extra penny/cent. :wink2::grin2:
Yeah that's sounds really good, self cancelling indicators seems to be nice future too :grin2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't have that problem here in Poland, local dealer have 17,18, ATAS 17 and 18, DCT, manual etc. so it's only my problem what to choose :wink2:

Yeah that's sounds really good, self cancelling indicators seems to be nice future too :grin2:
I'm already disliking the self cancelling indicators. I posted a while back about it https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/113-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-general-discussion-forum/32074-self-cancelling-indicators.html#post280426

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm with you about sillness of the self-cancelling indicators: too semplistic the logic, either distance (250 meters) or time (about 7 seconds) will cancel them. I'm used to activate turn signal well before I turn, just to be sure who follows knows what I'm doing, but several time I found myself with the indicators off in the middle of the road :surprise:
I'm learning to postpone their activation, but I don't feel good about that...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up my ATAS DCT 2018 and love it. The auto canceling turn signals don't seem to work super well for me, but everything else is amazing. I know I could have saved $4K or more on a 2017 model, but if you consider all the standard equipment in the AS, and all the modifications seems like having the 30th Anniversary AS is the way to go if cash isn't an issue.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Western honda in scottsdale az sold my buddy an africa twin DCT for $11k plus tax. he said they had a bunch of them.
I hope those who are buying the leftover 2017 models are getting it much less than $11K. If I was in the market for a 2017 model I'd be bargaining for $9K OTD because before the ATAS was announced or released the 2017 AF was selling for $11+K already.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Greek magazine Moto dynoed the ATAS and found that it had lost 7 horsepower on the rear wheel, yielding 80 PS as opposed to the 87 PS of the 2016/2017 models. They were surprised and dynoed a second example, getting the same output. They thought this might have to do with the new drive-by-wire system.

Do we know of any other dyno measurements of the 2018 models engine output?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Greek magazine Moto dynoed the ATAS and found that it had lost 7 horsepower on the rear wheel, yielding 80 PS as opposed to the 87 PS of the 2016/2017 models. They were surprised and dynoed a second example, getting the same output. They thought this might have to do with the new drive-by-wire system.

Do we know of any other dyno measurements of the 2018 models engine output?

More likely to be the Euro 4 shite causing the drop (16/17s were Euro3 i believe) but the 18 dct is brilliant in comparison to my previous 16 manual

Easily solved by adding a 'smart IAT' sensor (or other fuel enrichment device)

One major bugbear on the earlier bikes was the tiny footrests, they have also been improved for bigger ones and the rear footrest hanger brackets which were redesigned (they used to bruise your calf muscles)

Ian

·
Registered
109 Posts
More likely to be the Euro 4 shite causing the drop (16/17s were Euro3 i believe) but the 18 dct is brilliant in comparison to my previous 16 manual

The 2016s were Euro 3 but the 2017s Euro 4, this was one of the few changes 2016->2017, the other one being double-dipped spokes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Do I buy a 17 discounted to $9,700 US (MSRP 13,299) or the 18 with a few upgrades at $11,110 (MRSP 13,499)? Are the upgrades noted below worth the extra $1400?

Upgrades to include:
New instrument panel
Throttle by wire
Three riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel)
Minor intake and exhaust changes
Lighter balancer shafts
Lithium-ion battery
Seven levels of HSTC (traction control)
Wider footpegs with steel brackets
Redesigned passenger pegs
Redesigned LED turn signals
Self Cancelling turn signals
Stainless Spokes
Coated Fork Tubes
New exhaust

·
Registered
181 Posts

Which model did you end up with?
I have a 16 and wonder if there is any ooint changing to the 18 version...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts