Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seen this sort of thing for cars, no idea they did one for the AT!
watching this thread with interest

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is a review by webBikeWorld on the Booster Plug. After reading the review I'm not sure the problem this solves applies to the Africa Twin. I have 2 Transalps which run lean by design (to pass EPA bullsh?t) The fix is to change the idle jets from #38 to #40. Slightly larger but gives just enough richness to solve the stumble from idle and cold starting problems.

I do not have these kinds of problems with mt AT. My problem is a touchy throttle. Part of the problem could be the DCT. With a standard trans you automatically control this with the clutch. With the DCT the quick response/surge goes to the rear wheel. I have owned a few cars over the years that were hard to start off slowly or smoothly because the engine was so "responsive". This is what I see with the AT. I don't think enriching the mixture would have an effect on this. I believe it would take remapping the fuel computer to "soften" throttle response.

But if the Booster Plug does help I'll be first inline to get one !!!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/booster-plug/

·
Registered
379 Posts
Part of the problem could be the DCT. With a standard trans you automatically control this with the clutch. With the DCT the quick response/surge goes to the rear wheel.
That's exactly it. DCT owners need to get used to the direct drive and fine-tune their throttle control.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't have a problem with my DCT model, the feeling is perfect for me, very smooth all round, so I'll not be fitting a Booster Plug,

BUT, I did fit one about 6 years ago to my BMW Cruiser, and it really did smooth out the jerky running and made it so much better around town,
Only 6 months ago I bought one for my Ducati Scrambler, the throttle was very difficult to control especially on rough roads, I did get used to it, but someone mentioned on a forum about the plug, so i sent off for one, Perfect, solved the problem, and made it a much nicer bike to ride, Certainly worth a try if you're unhappy with your bike, but I suggest you take your AT into the dealer and explain your problem, he may just have a fix, worth a try ,

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spoke to a guy that rides yamaha super tenere , he says that you dont know how bad your bike is running ( lean ) untill you have the fuelling sorted , he used to think that there is nothing wrong with his bike until he did test ride another one that was remapped and then he realized how much smoother and stronger the engine can be with tiny bit of extra fuel , he has the booster plug and loves it , easy to install and cheaper than Power commander + some time on the dyno .

So the question is should i be the guinea pig or not >:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
he says that you dont know how bad your bike is running ( lean ) untill you have the fuelling sorted , he used to think that there is nothing wrong with his bike until he did test ride another one that was remapped and then he realized how much smoother and stronger the engine can be with tiny bit of extra fuel , he has the booster plug and loves it , easy to install and cheaper than Power commander + some time on the dyno .
Correct.

They all run lean and would benefit from more fuel.

Power Commander dispenses with the Lambda probe and time on the dyno worth every penny. http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/177-engine-technical-discussion/6522-power-commander.html

The booster plug will never correct for the dips in the power curve where they test for noise etc which the Power Commander will.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just spoke to a guy that rides yamaha super tenere , he says that you dont know how bad your bike is running ( lean ) untill you have the fuelling sorted , he used to think that there is nothing wrong with his bike until he did test ride another one that was remapped and then he realized how much smoother and stronger the engine can be with tiny bit of extra fuel , he has the booster plug and loves it , easy to install and cheaper than Power commander + some time on the dyno .
I rode a Super Tenere for 60,000 km. The stock fueling was shite and it was easy to tell right away. The AT's fueling is fine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I find there is surging in the mid-range when bumbling around town, but it doesn't bother me that much.

I must, however, agree that the throttle is way too sensitive at low off-road speed.

Hopefully some bright spark will re-flash the computer so you don't have to mess with the gearbox so it just keeps the previous settings! (DCT)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I find there is surging in the mid-range when bumbling around town, but it doesn't bother me that much.

I must, however, agree that the throttle is way too sensitive at low off-road speed.

Hopefully some bright spark will re-flash the computer so you don't have to mess with the gearbox so it just keeps the previous settings! (DCT)
I still think it's simply the lack of being able feather the clutch at low speeds to modulate the power as you would with an MT bike, not overly sensitive fueling. I just use manual mode on dirt and keep it in a higher gear if I want to dilute the drive. Still pulls nicely.

+1 about the DCT settings. And would love for D to be like S1, it's far more useful for town riding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Had one of these on a 1200GS to be completely honest could not feel any difference with it on or off !! I think id put the money towards a remap at Hilltop they seem to be the top guys for bike remaps, Ive heard of 3 ATs that have been done there and the results are very Impressive
Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
After reading the reviews and features I ordered on. I'm having issues with unstable idle when cold, throttle body back fires, and surging at low speeds. Also having a lot of decel pop. We shall see and I will report.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Booster Plug on mine and it is like a night and day difference. First two tanks of gas took a 1.6-2.3 mpg hit but this mornings fill up I was actually better than before. 47.69 mpg. Best $150 I have spent for mine so far!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Correct.

They all run lean and would benefit from more fuel.

Power Commander dispenses with the Lambda probe and time on the dyno worth every penny. http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/177-engine-technical-discussion/6522-power-commander.html

The booster plug will never correct for the dips in the power curve where they test for noise etc which the Power Commander will.
There are a number of dino curves around from exhaust systems dont seem to be any dips in power to me at the noise testing RPM. There way well be a dip in sound as the muffler will be tuned to that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine arrived today and as soon as I can I will install and give a report. All I hope is that it will settle the cold idle, throttle, and backfire I experience. We shall see!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the Booster Plug on mine and it is like a night and day difference. First two tanks of gas took a 1.6-2.3 mpg hit but this mornings fill up I was actually better than before. 47.69 mpg. Best $150 I have spent for mine so far!
So you are saying it made it much smoother at part throttle or you feel there is more power overall.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went on a ride the other day with a group of people and with the Booster Plug installed I still managed 49.667 mpg. Absolutely love it. Woke the bike up and makes it feel like I expect it to feel from the factory. Snotty!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts