Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed the lowering links on my 2016 AT, purchased from this site http://soupysperformance.com/soupys-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-adjustable-lowering-link-kit.html. I did not want to lower the bike much, maybe 10 mm, my main objective was not to raise the bike when cranking up the preload to 2/3 of maximum (20 clicks from minimum), which I actually accomplished with the default links length.
First of all, the links, product # HLL1440 that I received, do not look like the ones depicted on product web page, however, they fit the bike and with supplied spacers they clear the shock base and anything on the bike. The concept of adjustable turnbuckle links with “ball bearings” at the ends is interesting and evidently one product with proper spacers can fit whole bunch of bikes. The bearing ends seemed rather loose (easy to turn around) but I could not feel any free play. I guess the time will tell how long the bearings will last.
As for the install on the Africa Twin, it is fairly straight forward job, as long as you know what you are doing. You will need some kind of motorcycle/ATV lift to support the bike at proper height when you work on it. I suggest to remove the guard under the engine, as it is not strong enough to support the bike. You have to remove the center stand (if you have one) and the side stand to make room for taking out and re-inserting the front links bolt. Other than that a “piece of cake”.

Definitely for the price, it seems to be a good/solid product with added benefit of adjustability of bike height, which all the other fixed length and higher priced lowering links don’t have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct. You just loosen up the lock nuts on both links and by turnbuckles adjust the bike height. The longer the the links the lower the bike. There is one trick when adjusting the links length, you have to proceed gradually in small steps, alternating left and right link. Say half turn left, half turn right, half turn left, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts