Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! So I am a strom owner, have a 2015 DL650XT. I love my bike but it seems the twin has everything mine doesnt! I test rode one today and liked it a lot!
One thing I dont understand is the horsepower figures. The twin has over 90HP but to be honest it didnt feel it at all....that is my main gripe with my strom, not enough grunt on the freeway.
Is it my imagination or placebo effect? it just doesnt seem to match the numbers, it felt just as fast as my 650. The 650 is amazingly quick with only 68hp, but only 0-70 MPH, anything above that and the bike doesnt have much of anything after that and is screaming at 6-7k RPMs.
Maybe the Twin has more grunt for passing? It just didnt feel any faster up to 60. Although it was a **** of a lot more ergonomic and comfortable! What are your guys thoughts on the Strom VS twin? obviously you are here for a reason so I wanna here your thoughts on the two as a comparison. Thank you!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have over 4000 miles on my Twin. Comin from a 2008 CBR1000RR you would think I would notice/miss the power considering it had over 160hp. Not by a long shot! The Twin is great! I passed 3 cars in one instance.... downshifted from 6th to 4th and rolled onto full throttle. As I passed them I shifted into fifth then into sixth. When I got back into the lane I was doing 104mph. On or offroad I am pleased with the power and in my opinion it does not need more. I love mine and if you get one, you will too.

Reactions: Elvisto

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured. I mean it was a new bike so I did not abuse it in the least. I figured that the power is probably so linear that it just continues pulling up past 70 unlike my strom which just fizzles out lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have seen guys get them up over 125mph on youtube. I find that a lot of the US spec bikes are extremely lean. I put a Booster Plug on it and suggest anyone who has this bike do the same. I am not a salesman, it just really wakes the bike up. Out of the many upgrades I have done, that was the best investment so far.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I sold my wee a few months ago so I know the wee. There really is no comparison between the wee and AT in the HP dept. If you want to pass on the hwy you had better plan on the wee but not on the AT. Accelerating through a corner, the AT has the wee beat. Even corner handling is better on the AT. Also the AT handles dirt so much better than the AT. Don't get me wrong the wee is a fine bike but, IMHO, more suited to beginner riders.

What is really weird is going from the AT to my KLR!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought the same thing - wasn't wowed by the power for sure. But, then I just assumed it was because I'm used to a sport bike with much less weight and a bit more power. However, very smooth and plenty fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a Harley VRod Muscle. Now that I'm through the break-in and pushing the revs up, I'm not noticing that huge a gap in power between and the AT just feels so much more fun to ride.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a Harley VRod Muscle. Now that I'm through the break-in and pushing the revs up, I'm not noticing that huge a gap in power between and the AT just feels so much more fun to ride.
Thats funny, because when people have been asking me what the new motor feels like I have been telling them, kinda like a little muscle car. It makes a great sound too when you begin to pull!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts