Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

VisorDown’s sources at Honda are saying that the CRF1000L will be getting a few minor updates for 2017.

Maybe Honda has finally taken notice of the few gripes some riders have with the Africa Twin and they plan to fix a few of them for 2017. Right now, we only know that a new set of stainless steel wheel spokes may be introduced next year because current AT owners have been reporting corrosion problems and they’re finding it difficult to keep them clean. Another rumored update is the cruise control which could come standard.

If they took a look at our AT dislikes thread, Honda would find much they can improve on for the next model year. Maybe change out the readout display so that it no longer uses negative LCD or look into the false neutrals that members seem to be experiencing, sometimes even regularly.

Honda has not officially confirmed these rumors yet but maybe they’ll give us a hint at the upcoming Intermot bike show. What other little bugs are you hoping Honda will fix next year?

·
Registered
197 Posts
A little off topic, but I'd like to see Honda follow BMW's GS and Triumph's Explorer with ADV ergonomics but road focused equipment based on the existing AT engine and chassis. First, drop the 18/21 inch spoke wheels - fit cast 17's or 17/19" combinations with tubeless tires. Second, road riders don't need and most don't want, long travel suspension or massive ground clearance. Not everyone has a 36" inseam and for those without, being able to support the bike at a standstill with both feet is a big selling feature. Third, set the muffler lower, so saddlebags don't stick out so far from the bike and that their capacity isn't reduced to pathetic levels making room for the silencer. Lane splitting is lawful in much of the world, so facilitating it would be a good thing. A center stand should be standard on road bikes, so put that on the list, as well as a factory installed power outlet up front, and cruise control. Finally, and this is based on reports of existing AT owners improve on the quality and effectiveness of Honda accessories such as heated grips, crash bars, saddlebags, etc. Making a profit is one thing, selling shoddy parts to make a profit is quite another.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming on the garden show; Honda bugs and what to do about them.

·
Super Moderator
159 Posts
A little off topic, but I'd like to see Honda follow BMW's GS and Triumph's Explorer with ADV ergonomics but road focused equipment based on the existing AT engine and chassis. First, drop the 18/21 inch spoke wheels - fit cast 17's or 17/19" combinations with tubeless tires. Second, road riders don't need and most don't want, long travel suspension or massive ground clearance. Not everyone has a 36" inseam and for those without, being able to support the bike at a standstill with both feet is a big selling feature. Third, set the muffler lower, so saddlebags don't stick out so far from the bike and that their capacity isn't reduced to pathetic levels making room for the silencer. Lane splitting is lawful in much of the world, so facilitating it would be a good thing. A center stand should be standard on road bikes, so put that on the list, as well as a factory installed power outlet up front, and cruise control. Finally, and this is based on reports of existing AT owners improve on the quality and effectiveness of Honda accessories such as heated grips, crash bars, saddlebags, etc. Making a profit is one thing, selling shoddy parts to make a profit is quite another.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming on the garden show; Honda bugs and what to do about them.
Not to sound negative, but if the three things you listed is what you want, then maybe the AT isn't for you(?) there are other bikes made by Honda and other manufacturers who are already making what you are asking for, so why would Honda make an AT into something that is readily available in the market?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not to sound negative, but if the three things you listed is what you want, then maybe the AT isn't for you(?) there are other bikes made by Honda and other manufacturers who are already making what you are asking for, so why would Honda make an AT into something that is readily available in the market?
You are overlooking one thing Honda offers that no other motorcycle manufacturer does: the dual clutch automatic transmission. Honda (and I) believes DCT is the transmission of the future. Why else would they put it in such a wide variety of machines, from entry level motorcycles to sport bikes, Adventure bikes and quads? So, while there are plenty of ADV styled road bikes, in fact no manufacturer (Honda included) does offer what I'm asking for.

I became a DCT devote' when I bought an NC700XD and found the transmission a perfect fit for how I ride; sometimes relaxed and sometimes more spiritedly. The NC's ergonomics were also a good fit. The only limitation of the NC, was that with 50 HP, it is woefully underpowered for my riding area (elevations between 4500'-9000') in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Ideally, Honda would make an NC1000XD and I'd be a happy man. And if you look at it, my wish list above would produce exactly that.

I try not to make my posts on the AT forum personal, but AT News phrased his question so I couldn't resist putting in a plug for something that would suit me. Most likely, Honda monitors forums like this - looking for problems, ideas, etc. Why not throw out an idea they could profit from as well as riders like me? :wink2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
You are overlooking one thing Honda offers that no other motorcycle manufacturer does: the dual clutch automatic transmission. Honda (and I) believes DCT is the transmission of the future. Why else would they put it in such a wide variety of machines, from entry level motorcycles to sport bikes, Adventure bikes and quads? So, while there are plenty of ADV styled road bikes, in fact no manufacturer (Honda included) does offer what I'm asking for.

I became a DCT devote' when I bought an NC700XD and found the transmission a perfect fit for how I ride; sometimes relaxed and sometimes more spiritedly. The NC's ergonomics were also a good fit. The only limitation of the NC, was that with 50 HP, it is woefully underpowered for my riding area (elevations between 4500'-9000') in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Ideally, Honda would make an NC1000XD and I'd be a happy man. And if you look at it, my wish list above would produce exactly that.

I try not to make my posts on the AT forum personal, but AT News phrased his question so I couldn't resist putting in a plug for something that would suit me. Most likely, Honda monitors forums like this - looking for problems, ideas, etc. Why not throw out an idea they could profit from as well as riders like me? :wink2:
I respect all opinions and tastes!

But it was because of similar opinions and tastes like yours, Honda withdrew in 2001 the AT RD07 and present the Varadero .

If people do not like black coffee just order directly one cappuccino.

·
Super Moderator
159 Posts

I try not to make my posts on the AT forum personal, but AT News phrased his question so I couldn't resist putting in a plug for something that would suit me. Most likely, Honda monitors forums like this - looking for problems, ideas, etc. Why not throw out an idea they could profit from as well as riders like me?
Nah I get ya, I have a DCT my self, love it. But from the sound of what you're asking for, it's no longer a AT, that's all.
Honda could perhaps read this forum one day and produce something else in mind and not mess with the AT and it's long standing fan base.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nah I get ya, I have a DCT my self, love it. But from the sound of what you're asking for, it's no longer a AT, that's all.
Honda could perhaps read this forum one day and produce something else in mind and not mess with the AT and it's long standing fan base.
Yep, no worse than Honda turning a VFR1200 into a VFR1200X Crosstourer, or an NC750X into a X ADV scooter (http://www.bikebandit.com/blog ). Doesn't affect the original model; they keep the "platform" (engine/transmission, chassis), change engine tuning and suspension as needed for the new mission and replace plastic as desired. Cost is much less than starting from scratch with an added benefit of spreading development costs over a larger number of products. Risk is minimized because of lower development cost and as you point out Washryc, built in customer acceptance for a known commodity (certainly for the AT).

It's hardly a ground breaking concept. European marques have done it for years. And most recently, Yamaha has turned out a raft of models based on the FZ platform(s) - including the poplular FJ-09/Tracer, the retro XSR900 and a prototype three wheel leaner (MWT9) all based on the FZ09.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel like Honda knew exactly what they were doing when they called it CRF...
this bike, although not breaking any new ground, is not pretending to be GS or a 1190r
or any other "benchmark" bike in the ADV pantheon
It's just an Africa Twin
and with it's roots in off-road riding, this bike does what it was designed to do
and, it does it very well
...point is, if they start adding in all these creature comforts, like cruise, 17" wheels, tubeless blah, blah, blah
...they move, incrementally, away from it being that big CRF dirt bike that you can ride
for a long while on pavement ...and it becomes exactly like all those other ADV bikes, just not as good
because it didn't start as a road bike
...now, this motor with the DCT in a sport-tourer or adv-tourer would be altogether different
I feel this is as close to a Dual-Sport as you can get in todays market, and still sell a few

I'm thinking more "goodnight KLR" and less "watch out GS"

Let the A'Twin be what it is... A big fat dirt bike... A really good big fat dirt bike...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I feel like Honda knew exactly what they were doing when they called it CRF...<snip>...point is, if they start adding in all these creature comforts, like cruise, 17" wheels, tubeless blah, blah, blah
...they move, incrementally, away from it being that big CRF dirt bike that you can ride
for a long while on pavement ...and it becomes exactly like all those other ADV bikes, just not as good
<snip>
Let the A'Twin be what it is... A big fat dirt bike... A really good big fat dirt bike...
That's all well and good and I wouldn't have it any other way. But understand that when a manufacturer uses one model as a platform to build another model, it usually has no effect on the original model. For example, BMW came out with an R nineT model about two years ago. This year, using the R nineT as the platform, they introduced the R nineT Scrambler and sell it along side the original R nineT. Next year they plan to add an R nineT "Pure" and R nineT "Racer" to the line up. Each variant of the original R nineT uses, or will use the same basic engine and frame (probably a lot of other parts), but each is styled and configured for a different market segment. The original R nineT will stay in the line up exactly the same as before - only now with a family of three related bikes. BMW is happy, BMW buyers are happy and the world is a better place. Now if Honda would only get a clue.

·
Registered
1 Posts

VisorDown’s sources at Honda are saying that the CRF1000L will be getting a few minor updates for 2017.

Maybe Honda has finally taken notice of the few gripes some riders have with the Africa Twin and they plan to fix a few of them for 2017. Right now, we only know that a new set of stainless steel wheel spokes may be introduced next year because current AT owners have been reporting corrosion problems and they’re finding it difficult to keep them clean. Another rumored update is the cruise control which could come standard.

If they took a look at our AT dislikes thread, Honda would find much they can improve on for the next model year. Maybe change out the readout display so that it no longer uses negative LCD or look into the false neutrals that members seem to be experiencing, sometimes even regularly.

Honda has not officially confirmed these rumors yet but maybe they’ll give us a hint at the upcoming Intermot bike show. What other little bugs are you hoping Honda will fix next year?
Hi all,
I'm new to this, not just this forum but forums in general.

Saying we will see a new model A Twin next year but do we know what month that might be? Do Honda follow any kind of pattern for updates?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi all,
I'm new to this, not just this forum but forums in general.

Saying we will see a new model A Twin next year but do we know what month that might be? Do Honda follow any kind of pattern for updates?
The report cited is about possible changes to the 2017 model year Africa Twin, not a new model of Africa Twin. Manufacturers can make changes in specifications and equipment at any time. Especially for safety reasons. Minor changes are often instituted at the change over to the new model year, which can be any time, but is usually in the last quarter of the prior calendar year (2016 in this case). That allows them to use up parts ordered for the prior year and acquire parts for the new year. Model year changes are also marked by VIN changes, which accounts for why the service and parts people verify the VIN on your motorcycle or car before taking action.

Even if Honda has a standard procedure for making changes, it can be affected by a lot of internal and external factors. Which, if you continue reading on the forum, you will learn may include nuclear reactor events and hurricanes. :surprise:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wouldn't that be great if Honda added two pick-up points at the front of the upper frame (under the steering pivot) so that accessory makers could design a decent upper crashbar. So far, all I can suspect is a bunch of designers scratching their head wondering how they will make it work ;-)

And gold rims for the North American market please.

What about losing a few lbs while you're there? ;-)

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what I've heard, along with some random readings, I think we may have an "Adventure" version with things like CC, bigger tank and more guards. Of course it will cost more to swing over people who just WANT to spend money without the need to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the comment stands...buy a different 'bike of which Honda have plenty with DCT.
After all it is the Iconic ADVENTURE 'bike...OFF ROAD...and Honda have valid reasons for spoked heels and tubes...as any ADVENTURE rider knows and appreciates..:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings AT riders.

Just a wannabe AT owner here in the States. Retired my '05 FJR1300 and started riding trails with the '07 KLR650. Absolutely love adventure riding and am hoping to take the plunge after finishing my PhD next summer.

I was thinking of buying a leftover, but if they are going to add Cruise Control! I'd consider the plunge for the '17!!!

Looking forward to catching up on everyone's experiences.

Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wishlist after 5k km really is:
- move "-" (minus) knob of DCT control (handbar) way further from the turn-signal switch to prevent downshift DCT accidentally instead of blinker cancel. This should be made in other way as smart as the parking brake lever far-to-far to reach mistakenly
- use lower light source of the heated grips indicator not to blind the rider in the night with this green dominating light, i used 5 or 6 layers of scotch tape to dimmer this light

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have any information on whether Honda are going to release the Adventure Sport Concept as a more extreme version of the Twin? I'm in the middle of planning a trip down Africa and would be good to know before I commit to an Africa Twin!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My wishlist after 5k km really is:
- move "-" (minus) knob of DCT control (handbar) way further from the turn-signal switch to prevent downshift DCT accidentally instead of blinker cancel. This should be made in other way as smart as the parking brake lever far-to-far to reach mistakenly
- use lower light source of the heated grips indicator not to blind the rider in the night with this green dominating light, i used 5 or 6 layers of scotch tape to dimmer this light
Got the same problem on my NC750X but a dab of black touch-up paint has solved the problem - the display in the instruments is fine so you don't need the light on the bars. Paint is easily scraped off with a fingernail if the next owner really wants to.
BTW I'm ok with the position of the down paddle but I wosh they had put the D-S toggle switch where the A-M switch is. When I want to overtake and switch to sport mode it's a **** of a reach for my right thumb (or they could have mounted the switch the other way round so you have to reach far over to put it in neutral but not so far to switch between D and S. (I know I can hit the down paddle while in D-mode to overtake, but you find it changing up again too early)
Mike

1 - 20 of 69 Posts