Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
That one thing you said--make an NC1000 XD by putting the Africa Twin engine into the NC700x platform and then we would have something. I test rode a VFR1200x DCT and I thought it was too tall in the seat and way too heavy. And this was a bike I really wanted to like because I thought it would be a great upgrade from my NC700x. I came away from the test ride pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That one thing you said--make an NC1000 XD by putting the Africa Twin engine into the NC700x platform and then we would have something. I test rode a VFR1200x DCT and I thought it was too tall in the seat and way too heavy. And this was a bike I really wanted to like because I thought it would be a great upgrade from my NC700x. I came away from the test ride pretty disappointed.
Exactly my experience. The 1200X felt like a barge when I test rode it immediately after test riding the NC700X. What was more surprising to me was that the V4 engine felt much rougher than the parallel twin.
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was opening on my phone, that's why it didn't work. I can open it on my computer.
I find rather interesting the following sentence:
'Furthermore, electronics are tuned and hidden on safe place from heating and hits.'
Does that mean that there has been electronic issues caused by hits and heat due to its placement?

·
Registered
76 Posts
no bike manufacturer updates a model after one year.

maybe colour schemes but any significant changes to a best selling model, despite earthquake problems, is just not going to happen in my opinion.

after 7 years of development i can't really see Honda deciding in 12months to change something that is working, and does work, and have the time to implement any changes.

any improvements/changes are much more likely to happen in a 2 year cycle, or more.

this 'True Adventure' was built as a 80% off road bike and off road bikes have tubes in the tyres for a reason and don't have cruise control for a reason.

i appreciate lots of people use this bike purely as a road bike, and its a bloody good road bike, but because people put a tool to a different use does not mean there is any sense in changing the tool.

stainless spokes are not an update to a model.

just an opinion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Totally agree with you. I find rather strange for a brand to update a new model (I dare to say almost a flagship model) just after an year. I think maybe just mandatory updates would force that, like Euro4 compliance. I've read that somewhere. I'm not aware of the Euro4 enforcement. Is it mandatory from 2017 on?
Regarding cast rims... well I just love the 'classic spoked' rims. Cast rims I guess are for bikes more Varadero-alike. I think they're 'inadequate' for a bike like the AT. Kind of out of context. I don't like trail bikes with alloy wheels. But this is just my opinion. And after reading a few things about tubed tires for off-road, it all makes sense. As a rookie, in the first times I will be using the AT only in tarmac... I still don't realise which are the disadvantages of tubed tires on road. Off-road, as I said before, they make sense.
I won't lie to you... I would like cruise control... but maybe it makes so much sense as cast alloy wheels. Maybe I would consider CC as a part of the 'bloody good road bike'. :)

Well, i'm crossing my fingers for Honda not to change the AT, so I can close a good deal soon. Heheheh!

Wish you all safe and pleasant rides.

·
Registered
86 Posts
no bike manufacturer updates a model after one year.

maybe colour schemes but any significant changes to a best selling model, despite earthquake problems, is just not going to happen in my opinion.

after 7 years of development i can't really see Honda deciding in 12months to change something that is working, and does work, and have the time to implement any changes.

any improvements/changes are much more likely to happen in a 2 year cycle, or more.

this 'True Adventure' was built as a 80% off road bike and off road bikes have tubes in the tyres for a reason and don't have cruise control for a reason.

i appreciate lots of people use this bike purely as a road bike, and its a bloody good road bike, but because people put a tool to a different use does not mean there is any sense in changing the tool.

stainless spokes are not an update to a model.

just an opinion
Never say "never".

If I'm not mistaken, Yamaha MT-10 is getting some updates and it's just a new release and a hot seller from last year?! Call it tweaks?! Tomato, To-mato? :grin2: If you look long at it, plenty of tweaks happen but I tend to agree with you, doesn't seem likely.

I think colors will be updated and a couple "other" things. We'll all see by next week. :nerd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Honda is going to present more ADV version CRF1000R. From 2017 we will have a choice CRF1000L or CRF1000R. That is my opinion.

Rgds,
D

Wysłane z mojego HUAWEI GRA-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's funny though, there is a site (hondamotoglobal.com) that has some tabs on the right side of the screen. Some of these are red and are active, can be clicked. They're for bikes already presented, except for the X-ADV which links to some videos, acting as teasers. There are two black and white tabs which are disabled. One is for a bike to be presented in 18 November, the Long Beach exibition, I guess. The other one says 'True Adventure' Africa Twin, but it has no date. Maybe some release after the Long Beach exibition but still with no public date?
That 'true adventure' makes sense of what bochodar says. That is also the info that I got from my dealership. There is some kind of more radical / rally version of the AT to be released, but no updates to the current AT.

Wish you all safe and pleasant rides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hummm, and it's also going to be called Africa Twin? Notice that the other grey tab has the silhouette of a motorcycle covered with a blanket whereas this other tab has the photo of an Africa Twin.
That would make more sense for an eventual minor update or the release of the rally version. But this is just me guessing.

:wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was in the dealership yesterday ordering mine and supposedly the 2017 model year version can be ordered from tomorrow (Monday 12th Nov), the only updates being Euro4 emissions nonsense. I'm thinking that makes many of the guesses about a completely different variant being released the more likely scenario.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Candy Red

My first post here, proud to be the first one (it seems) to forward the official Honda news regarding the 2017 model. Not a lot changes apparently, just a new color (Candy Red) and Euro4 standard.

Other news is a concept model based on the Africa Twin with even more off road emphasis.

I would have liked to post the links and pics, but as it's my first post I'm not allowed yet.

I don't have an AT yet, but long for one as I waited to see the color options for 2017. As Candy Red is not that interesting for me I have to choose between a Ralley Red DCT demo model (lots around, almost all red) or a new black one (as I cannot find any used DCT demo models). Gotta sell my Moto Guzzi Griso 1100 and electric Brammo Empulse R first though. Enough to do this winter :).Cheers from chilly Holland!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Euro4 compliance might be a bigger thing than you think. I test rode the AT back in April so presumably that was a Euro3 bike. Now, I hate bikes that are snatchy and grobbly at bimbling around revs, and I thought the At was OK - not as good as the NC750X but they had managed the leaning off at low revs well enough.
As I understand it Euro 4 will just force manufacturers into even leaner round-town revs and a worse ride. I think they have done something with the DCT box that presumably slips the clutch a tiny amount to smooth out those jerks and surges. Let's hope they can tweak it some more for Euro 4
Mike

21 - 40 of 69 Posts