Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 9 years with a BMW 1200RT (couple second bikes in this time span as well), I got bored and need a change. I do not go on multi day trips any more, just a day or half day joy rides, and I am 70 as well..
I had the opportunity to test ride Africa Twin, great handling, great suspension, great engine. Not so great wind protection and overall ride comfort. I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between. However, here in New Brunswick the secondary and tertiary country roads are in terrible shape, lots of badly filled potholes and bumps of various nature. I wonder how the new 2018 Vstrom 1000 with fully adjustable front would handle that. Its 16/16 cm front/rear travel is pretty short of 23/22 cm travel on Africa Twin, but still...?
It seems to me that the AT with its off-road character might be an overkill for my needs and VStrom might give me more ride comfort. Any thoughts/comments on that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi.
Had a Vstrom 1000 for 10 years.
Its a great 1000 km 2 up interstate blaster but compared to the AT, no comparison.
The Vstrom is a road bike that you can ride on some dirt so get that it you ride on the road.

The AT is a dirt bike you can ride on the road.
The Vstrom would have nope hope in doing what I am doing with the AT now.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
IMO, based on your statements, I think you'll do better with the V-Strom. I love my AT, but I ride 50% of the time off-road on technical stuff. I have to agree with reviewers when it comes to the on-road ability/capabilities of the AT. I have a roadracing background and find the on-road manners of the AT to be "okay". When the AT gets pushed hard on-road, front-end feel gets vague compared to the Super Tenere and XCx I previously owned.

On occasion, I ride with a guy with an older V-Strom (I'm not sure of the size as I'm not real familiar with the V-Strom line) and when we do forest service roads, fire roads, and dirt roads, it does just fine. These aren't necessarily smooth or maintained either.

I think you'll be happier with a bike thats more street oriented...

So after 9 years with a BMW 1200RT (couple second bikes in this time span as well), I got bored and need a change. I do not go on multi day trips any more, just a day or half day joy rides, and I am 70 as well..
I had the opportunity to test ride Africa Twin, great handling, great suspension, great engine. Not so great wind protection and overall ride comfort. I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between. However, here in New Brunswick the secondary and tertiary country roads are in terrible shape, lots of badly filled potholes and bumps of various nature. I wonder how the new 2018 Vstrom 1000 with fully adjustable front would handle that. Its 16/16 cm front/rear travel is pretty short of 23/22 cm travel on Africa Twin, but still...?
It seems to me that the AT with its off-road character might be an overkill for my needs and VStrom might give me more ride comfort. Any thoughts/comments on that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had Both 650 and 1000 Vstrom. Both are great bikes. The 650 is the better engine although it's down on power compared to the 1000 it's much smoother and free revving. Much better on fuel. If I was road riding only I would get another 650. It's so easy to use and stone cold reliable. 70mpg (uk) is possible. However the AT is miles better than the 1000 if you are going to do anything other than a gravel path. The AT looks better too. It's also narrower than the Vstrom and general easier to move around. AT is better at filtering due to the width. AT feels a lot lighter although I suspect the weight is similar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Having had both over the years, as well as a couple of VSrom 650s, I feel the VStrom is a better road and touring bike than the AT. If you are doing 95% street, get the Suzuki.

Do yourself a favor and test ride the 650. I like them better than the 1000s. The frame and overall size is essentially the same, but the 650 is smoother and gets better mileage. Unless you are doing a lot of 2 up, the 650 really punches above its weight.

All that said, the component quality, feel and fit and finish of the AT is a notch higher than the Suzukis. The Suzukis are easier to work on, have a TON of aftermarket support and are as reliable as a hammer.

Rob

·
Registered
225 Posts
IMO, based on your statements, I think you'll do better with the V-Strom. I love my AT, but I ride 50% of the time off-road on technical stuff. I have to agree with reviewers when it comes to the on-road ability/capabilities of the AT. I have a roadracing background and find the on-road manners of the AT to be "okay". When the AT gets pushed hard on-road, front-end feel gets vague compared to the Super Tenere and XCx I previously owned.

On occasion, I ride with a guy with an older V-Strom (I'm not sure of the size as I'm not real familiar with the V-Strom line) and when we do forest service roads, fire roads, and dirt roads, it does just fine. These aren't necessarily smooth or maintained either.

I think you'll be happier with a bike thats more street oriented...

Well I think just the opposite from you, I'd argue that you would need a high level of road racing skills, to be annoyed by the front because being not skilled in racing, I can't feel this while riding harder than I was on a MT-09 and since 3 months none of my friends could stick to my back Wheel, only KTM sometimes burn me.
Then in reverse, the guy being 70 and saying the back roads in his country being that bad, i'd say it's saffer to bet on the AT than on the DL, making off roading that easier and maybe less risks of dropping the bike, which I would like at 70.

I totally loved the big motocross kind of feel on the road, better than knee dragging and thought I could develop my off-road skills with the AT, because that's where I have less background, so bought the AT and not the DL.

Also let me say I really dislike DCT and find it boring on road, but maybe the OP would be better with DCT off road !

·
Registered
21 Posts
To the OP:

I had 2014 new gen VStrom 1000 and now ride the AT. If I rode 95% paved roads, I would not have switched to the AT. I am familiar with the bad roads in New Brunswick and the VStrom will be up to the task no problem. The VStrom suspension is surprisingly good. As well, I prefered the VStrom at highway speed with its 10 extra HP and its true overdrive 6th gear.

·
Registered
225 Posts
To the OP:

I had 2014 new gen VStrom 1000 and now ride the AT. If I rode 95% paved roads, I would not have switched to the AT. I am familiar with the bad roads in New Brunswick and the VStrom will be up to the task no problem. The VStrom suspension is surprisingly good. As well, I prefered the VStrom at highway speed with its 10 extra HP and its true overdrive 6th gear.

Sorry check your facts, the Suzuki doesn't have 10 extra HP in the specs (101 vs 95) and akrapovic graphics show this, both are around 88-90 HP only the torque delivery is much different on both bikes, in fact they gain about the same HP between 4K-7K RPM.
I once rode an older 1000 v-strom in Arizona up to Sedona and on those highways it was phantastic, but anyway to me the AT works as well and from what i've seen the mileage is better, especially at highway speeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I came here looking for more info/opinions on Vstrom vs AT. I currently have over 20k miles on a '14 Vstrom 1000. Absolutely love the bike, but have been doing more and more off-road stuff and contemplating moving to the AT. I have road tested the AT, but not off-road. First of all, most of the previous posters commenting on their experience with the big Strom are referring to the older version, which was a completely different bike. The '14 and up was a complete redesign. Lighter, faster, narrower, better suspension (fully adjustable, and usd forks), better brakes, better handling than the older one.

I am considering the AT as I am intending on doing close to 50/50 riding. Based on my limited experience with the AT, I'd say anything 70%-ish on-road or more, then V-strom. The big vee has it all over the AT on the pavement. Yes, I'm sure the AT spanks the Strom on the trails - but that's not what the OP requires. He stated 95% pavement , with the "off-road" meaning fire roads. Sorry guys, I know many of you like to think your AT is the greatest motorcycle ever produced and beats every other one in every category and has no faults, etc. But I'm gonna call you all out on this one. In NO way does the AT beat the Strom for the OP's intended purpose. Heck, i'll even ruffle feathers further buy daring to say the Strom has the proven reliability over the Honda thus far.

And we can rehash the tubes vs tubeless debate until the cows come home. But are you seriously gonna defend tubes for 95% pavement, 0% gnarly stuff, riding? I picked up a nail in my rear tire last weekend. Was back on the road in 10 minutes. Didn't even disrobe, though it was quite warm. When we contemplated how quick and easy that was, my riding buddy and I joked that the AT (or any tubed adv bike) was now out of consideration. [insert your comment here about what would happen out away from civilization when the Strom flattened due to a bent rim. Of course, you'd be totally ignoring the OP's riding style/environment].

Every bike has it's limitations and compromises. Both the Strom and the AT are among the best at what they are intended for. That is, Strom 90/10, AT 50/50.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry check your facts, the Suzuki doesn't have 10 extra HP in the specs (101 vs 95) and akrapovic graphics show this, both are around 88-90 HP only the torque delivery is much different on both bikes, in fact they gain about the same HP between 4K-7K RPM.
I once rode an older 1000 v-strom in Arizona up to Sedona and on those highways it was phantastic, but anyway to me the AT works as well and from what i've seen the mileage is better, especially at highway speeds.
My butt-dyno tells a different story. In fact, a simple Google search verifies this. Cycle World’s Dynojet Model 250i load-control dynamometer, for instance, has Strom = 91.1 and AT = 82.4hp.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I came here looking for more info/opinions on Vstrom vs AT. I currently have over 20k miles on a '14 Vstrom 1000. Absolutely love the bike, but have been doing more and more off-road stuff and contemplating moving to the AT. I have road tested the AT, but not off-road. First of all, most of the previous posters commenting on their experience with the big Strom are referring to the older version, which was a completely different bike. The '14 and up was a complete redesign. Lighter, faster, narrower, better suspension (fully adjustable, and usd forks), better brakes, better handling than the older one.

I am considering the AT as I am intending on doing close to 50/50 riding. Based on my limited experience with the AT, I'd say anything 70%-ish on-road or more, then V-strom. The big vee has it all over the AT on the pavement. Yes, I'm sure the AT spanks the Strom on the trails - but that's not what the OP requires. He stated 95% pavement , with the "off-road" meaning fire roads. Sorry guys, I know many of you like to think your AT is the greatest motorcycle ever produced and beats every other one in every category and has no faults, etc. But I'm gonna call you all out on this one. In NO way does the AT beat the Strom for the OP's intended purpose. Heck, i'll even ruffle feathers further buy daring to say the Strom has the proven reliability over the Honda thus far.

And we can rehash the tubes vs tubeless debate until the cows come home. But are you seriously gonna defend tubes for 95% pavement, 0% gnarly stuff, riding? I picked up a nail in my rear tire last weekend. Was back on the road in 10 minutes. Didn't even disrobe, though it was quite warm. When we contemplated how quick and easy that was, my riding buddy and I joked that the AT (or any tubed adv bike) was now out of consideration. [insert your comment here about what would happen out away from civilization when the Strom flattened due to a bent rim. Of course, you'd be totally ignoring the OP's riding style/environment].

Every bike has it's limitations and compromises. Both the Strom and the AT are among the best at what they are intended for. That is, Strom 90/10, AT 50/50.

The Strom is also a great bike, these are the 2 I considered, not wanting to pay premium for Ducati or BMW.

You have a point, but wouldn't it seem more logical to equate skill to bike for the safest and most enjoyable ride, that's part of what made me buy the Honda over the Suzuki.
So to be clear I wanted to tour europe, for that either of these did the job, but then I went AT because my off road skills are non existant and during travels, I'd like to go out of the typical roads, so even if that will be less time than on paved roads, as I am not as skilled as on pavement so I want the easiest ride there, especially if loaded.

Having said that, I love the bigger wheels and supermoto riding style more than the more roadster Strom, so I didnt feel the Suzuki was better on pavement, I really think everyone has a riding style and likes bikes that go in accordance, you can't just say this bike is better on specs alone.

I also would argue, that my main concern is dropping the bike off-road, both being similar weight wise, I would think a 70 year old man, would have an easier time with the lower center of gravity of the AT.

Just having a different point of view yours isn't wrong, but I think that's what's enlightening to the OP, he can then think about his riding style and Wonder where he want's the easiest time on or off road, maybe he'll relate more with you or me or anyone else, that's what's good about this forum.

cheers mates !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys, great comments, appreciate it. Well, next Tuesday is the day I will be test riding the Strom (in fact both 1000 and 650).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, yes I had the old Vstrom 1000.

Just got back from a 3 day run out bush, I don't think any Vtrom 1000 would have had a very nice time dong what the AT was put through.
Like I said, the AT is a dirt bike built for the outback that you can ride on the road.
It's an outback blaster tackling endless corrugations, hard hits to the rims and suspension, sandy and rocky water crossings, soft river sand and ability to hit sandy sections at speed on the dirt with ease and can tackle crazy terrain loaded up with Knobbly tyres on.
And would I want to use tubeless tyres out there, nope.

But if you are riding more on the road get the Vstrom.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have both sitting in the garage right now. On pavement there is no comparison, the DL1000 is the bike to get. The motor has less vibration, the motor is dramatically stronger (especially at low and mid RPM), the seat is far more comfortable, the airflow is better, and it handles 2 up riding much better than the AT. Off road the tables turn 100% - the AT feels much smaller and nimble and has actual ground clearance. The 21" front eats up stuff that the 19" transmits right to the bars. The DL is a streetbike that can do some dirt, the AT is a heavyweight dirtbike that can cover pavement miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Having ridden my AT from London to Germany, my thoughts are that the AT is the bike for the destination. Not the bike to get me there in a rush on any motorways. It’s not a 2 up bike. In fact just with panniers on it drinks fuel at anything over 74mph. However once at road based destination it’s great fun. But needs a longer top gear and better suspension to be a true road tourer. For that my vote goes elsewhere. RT, GS, Aprillia Caponord, even a big Varadero. The AT seat is harsh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got knocked off my Triumph and had the misfortune of a v-strop 1000 as a hire bike for a month..
It was a 17 plate and i didn't like it at all, I found the v twin motor very vibey in all gears at any revs i know they are a much loved bike but it wasn't for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Had a Vstrom for 5 years (K8) so the older model and im totally with you on this.
The Strom is THE bike on pavement with less issues than the AT.

If I could spend my money again it would be on the 2018 Strom no doubt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts