Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

221 - 240 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome pictures Amphib. Used to live in Peachtree City, GA and we went up to the Smokey Mountains on a regular basis. Perfect riding area up there. Unfortunately I did not have a motorcycle during that time up there.

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
620 Posts
Man I envy you boys! All that exploration and adventure. It don't get better than that. Thanks for sharing all those great photos.
Scott

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Awesome pictures Amphib. Used to live in Peachtree City, GA and we went up to the Smokey Mountains on a regular basis. Perfect riding area up there. Unfortunately I did not have a motorcycle during that time up there.
No kidding. I lived in ptc in the earlier 2000s. I have a remodeling business and connections/referrals to Delta employees landed me there. Things hit a wall post 9/11 though, but all those overpriced John Weiland homes sure kept me busy while I was there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a 2019 DCT a few months ago and closing in on the first service. Love it so far, ready to get through the break in phase so I can really get after it. GPS and rear storage are next on the list. Really want some more aggressive tires but those will have to wait for now. Enjoying this group and the knowledge I’ve acquired from all of you! Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Bought a 2019 DCT a few months ago and closing in on the first service. Love it so far, ready to get through the break in phase so I can really get after it. GPS and rear storage are next on the list. Really want some more aggressive tires but those will have to wait for now. Enjoying this group and the knowledge I’ve acquired from all of you! Cheers
Hey Df,
Glad you're enjoying your new DCT toy from Honda. Aren't they a blast to ride? Every single time I jump on my '18 AT/AS/DCT I love it more and more and more. By the way, you don't say where you're from. And, normally, if I hover my mouse over an avatar, that will reveal where a member is located or from. It's always nice to know what part of the country or world one is conversing with. By the way, I'm really, really happy with my Garmin Zumo XT. Yep, they're really expensive, no doubt about it.

But, they are very, very good at what they do and, are pretty darn bright in dead sunlight. That was one of the really good improvements over older Garmin models. My phone's music is piped into that Garmin unit and, it relays the music to my blue tooth head set in my helmet. I can change songs on the screen of that unit and, I can read and or hear texts come in too. I can even have a phone conversation through that Garmin if I want. Another very good point about that Garmin is it's GLOVE FRIENDLY! Yep, I can do a lot of choosing and selecting with my gloves on. Anyway, it's just something to think about if and when you go on the hunt for one.
Scott

P.S. One more thing, I was introduced by a great member on here, to a very reasonably priced Tire Pressure Monitoring system that was a mere $49.00 on Amazon. It's really comforting to just look down at a glance and see what both tires are sitting at in terms of pressure. Something else to think about.

Attachments

Reactions: flyfishin69

·
Registered
20 Posts
E
Just got her on Saturday and to me it is the best bike that i have ever owned in 40 years of riding motorcycles.
Wait until you realize all you can do with this bike....you’ll never want to change 🙋🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
124 Posts
Well, a whole thread just for the RWB bikes! I'm in.

I'm SORELY tempted by the Arai helmet. My wife wants me to be all matchy matchy so I have her say-so. That would make some nice photos.

Here she is after she got some farkles last month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Df,
Glad you're enjoying your new DCT toy from Honda. Aren't they a blast to ride? Every single time I jump on my '18 AT/AS/DCT I love it more and more and more. By the way, you don't say where you're from. And, normally, if I hover my mouse over an avatar, that will reveal where a member is located or from. It's always nice to know what part of the country or world one is conversing with. By the way, I'm really, really happy with my Garmin Zumo XT. Yep, they're really expensive, no doubt about it.

But, they are very, very good at what they do and, are pretty darn bright in dead sunlight. That was one of the really good improvements over older Garmin models. My phone's music is piped into that Garmin unit and, it relays the music to my blue tooth head set in my helmet. I can change songs on the screen of that unit and, I can read and or hear texts come in too. I can even have a phone conversation through that Garmin if I want. Another very good point about that Garmin is it's GLOVE FRIENDLY! Yep, I can do a lot of choosing and selecting with my gloves on. Anyway, it's just something to think about if and when you go on the hunt for one.
Scott

P.S. One more thing, I was introduced by a great member on here, to a very reasonably priced Tire Pressure Monitoring system that was a mere $49.00 on Amazon. It's really comforting to just look down at a glance and see what both tires are sitting at in terms of pressure. Something else to think about.
Hey Df,

Scott

Hey Fire- thanks for the response! I’m loving mine as well, I definitely did my research and picked the perfect bike for my riding style.

I’m from the South DFW area (around Maypearl), sorry I’m fairly new to the forum and need to update my bio.

I am for sure getting the Garmin, it’s kind of fun getting lost on back roads but it would be nice if I knew if I was headed to a dead end..and having the phone paired to it is a plus as well. The tire pressure gauge seems like a worthy investment as well!

Question for you- love everything about my AT DCT, but I’m thrown off by my fuel gauge on my dash. When I’m down to just one bar remaining the bike says I still have 90-100 miles left? Seems off because at a full tank it says 230 or so (if I remember right), so you’d think I’d still have somewhere closer to 1/2 tank of fuel? I haven’t ridden it to the point the low fuel light comes on, maybe I should. Not sure how much I should be trusting the computer, and it feels uncomfortable taking off on a ride with only one bar of fuel indicated. Curious what your thoughts are? It seems silly to fill up if I truly have 90 miles left. Thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey Df,
No biggie on the being new and not displaying your where-a-bouts. I just think it's cool talk/type to folks all over the place and we have this OUTSTANDING HONDA MOTORCYCLE in common! Now, as for your fuel level indicator situation. Well, first off, one of the main factors that led me to the AS version of the A/T was the larger fuel tank. It's not so much the extended range of a single run, although that is important, it's more of a convenience factor of not having to fuel up as often as needed with a bit smaller tank. But, that being said, large or small tank, one should heed the warning of LOW FUEL.
I'm not being condescending in any way here. If we're old enough to own one of these fine machines, I figure we're all smart enough to comprehend the increments of the fuel bars that Honda decided to install in the dash and warning system(s) of these fine bikes. I myself think that the fuel bars are basically a general indication of the level of the fuel at, any particular time. Just how accurate their display of bars and forecast of potential miles left, well, again, I kind-of assume it's more of a generalization.

If you're interested in just how far one single fuel bar will take you, here's a simple test. Strap on at least a one gallon fuel can/rotopax/ whatever, and knowing that you maybe have an average of say, about 35-40 mpg, that's how far you'll get when you add that one gallon of fuel, after that ONE BAR has disappeared and the bike runs completely out of fuel.

It's kind-of a dangerous test in the fact that, you could run out, INTENTIONALLY, while in some form of traffic, on a hill, on a crowded road, whatever. I think I've seen the one bar situation one time in my ownership of the A/T. And, speaking of that, if I have even three bars and whatever Honda forecasts for my remaining mileage, and I'm going on a ride that is ANYWHERE near questionable about fuel mileage, I'm gonna fuel up. I don't even want to THINK about running out and either pushing that heavy beast or, leaving it someplace, ALONE, ALL BY ITSELF!

I don't know what everyone gets for the AVERAGE fuel mileage on a pre-'20 A/T (1000 cc motor) and, DCT, but, If I recall, I think I hover around 41 or so. With that figure in mind, that's how I try and determine my available distance. Hope I've answered you.
Scott
Scott

221 - 240 of 294 Posts