Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
73 Posts
Yes, I'm quite partial to the red, white, and blue AT. I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this one.

Let's see yours.

Here's my '17 from yesterday in cherokee nf. It was a deceivingly beautiful day. Fast twisties, warmish temps into the mid 50°s F, however a wintery scene was found on back side of these mountains. It was a day of mud, slush, snow, and ice. One particular section was so iced over, steep, off camber, I lost all traction, sliding towards the abyss... feet down, brakes on, backwards. I managed to get the kickstand down and got stopped. I pivot turned the bike and got out a different way.

Come on summer!

View attachment 53564 View attachment 53566 View attachment 53567 View attachment 53568 View attachment 53569 View attachment 53565
Be carefull on that ice. You were fortunate. Turned dark on me one night and my front tire hit a logging rut then threw me off the bike and knocked me out for a few minutes. I also have and love the red ,white, and blue.
20170611_153740.jpg

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Be carefull on that ice. You were fortunate. Turned dark on me one night and my front tire hit a logging rut then threw me off the bike and knocked out for a few minutes.
Very true sir. I hope there wasn't too much damage to yourself or your bike.

Yeah, here in the mountains, weather changes rapidly, we get micro climates, it'll be warm then go over the pass and it's a completely different scene on the other side. Riding in these places, even when the weather is perfect takes having your wits about you. There's not a lot of margin for error in many places.

did-you-have-a-good-adventure.jpg

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
215 Posts
(August 2017) My one-month old AT in the Big South Fork RRA

(May 2018) Phantom Canyon in Fremont County, CO

(June 2018) Hell's Backbone Bridge, UT

(June 2018) Jacob's Lake, AZ

(June 2018) Tuweep, Grand Canyon, AZ

(July 2018) Cinnamon Pass, CO

(January 2019) Wheeler Dam in Rogersville, AL

(August 2020) dry creek bed near Whitelyville, TN

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
View attachment 60244

View attachment 60246

View attachment 60247

View attachment 60248

View attachment 60249

View attachment 60250

View attachment 60251

View attachment 60252
Awesome pics, and my favorite configured AT. I love seeing posts from long time members/owners. How many miles do you have on her now? If I remember correctly, I recognize this bike from my early internet research based on your stickers.

Those were sure exciting days getting ready to buy my first new bike. Grateful for folks posting online, helping noobs like myself new to such a machine.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
147 Posts
View attachment 60244

View attachment 60246

View attachment 60247

View attachment 60248

View attachment 60249

View attachment 60250

View attachment 60251

View attachment 60252
Wow, looks like I need to follow you! Your adventures make me feel like I haven’t rode much of anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Wow, looks like I need to follow you! Your adventures make me feel like I haven’t rode much of anywhere.
They are indeed wonderful images @TN-Rider. The U.S. is particularly rich with a wide spectrum of unique experiences.

There are many folks including myself who feel more travel is needed, but currently cannot for one reason or another. Try not to fret, or feel the "fear of missing out" (FOMO). That can be a bad emotional road. The journeys will happen in our own comfortable time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
They are indeed wonderful images @TN-Rider. The U.S. is particularly rich with a wide spectrum of unique experiences.

There are many folks including myself who feel more travel is needed, but currently cannot for one reason or another. Try not to fret, or feel the "fear of missing out" (FOMO). That can be a bad emotional road. The journeys will happen in our own comfortable time.
Hey DT,
Were you a philosopher in your other life? Nicely put.
Yep, those pics would and do, make any of us that have these great bikes, want to get out and immediately seek out those spots and many like them.
Scott

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
147 Posts

@DoubleThumper I have been blessed with a lot more road time than most. It’s just my road time has been on Interstates and US Highways. I stopped counting mileage when I exceeded 200,000 miles on GoldWings. Never counted before then. My statement is regarding the “where” rider_marc has been traveling. The last photo is near where I go riding often, and one other is just to the north-east of me. I want to get off the blacktop much more than I do. I’m just getting started! This forum is opening up some wonderful ATAS riding opportunities. I’m excited about the adventures to come! So glad I finally bought an AT.

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
215 Posts
Awesome pics, and my favorite configured AT. I love seeing posts from long time members/owners. How many miles do you have on her now? If I remember correctly, I recognize this bike from my early internet research based on your stickers.

Those were sure exciting days getting ready to buy my first new bike. Grateful for folks posting online, helping noobs like myself new to such a machine.
Awesome. Good to hear you find useful information to help with the purchase. (y) Having take a new job in early 2019, there hasn't been as much riding as I'd like so my miles are just under 23k. I still have plans for riding out west. Just need to decide when to kick the job to the curb.

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
215 Posts
Hey DT,
Were you a philosopher in your other life? Nicely put.
Yep, those pics would and do, make any of us that have these great bikes, want to get out and immediately seek out those spots and many like them.
Scott
Seeing pictures definitely got me on the road. Back in the '12 I just bought a new Concours 14 and wanted to hit the road. Finally broke free for a few week in '13. During the latter half of the 53k miles, five and half years, I put on the C14, I found myself riding dirt/gravel roads and sometimes could not take the road I wanted to ride. It was then I realized I wanted a big adventure bike. It works! Have done some slab days on the AT and days with not so much pavement. Always a combination, and out west where stretches are longer, the bigger bike helps.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Seeing pictures definitely got me on the road. Back in the '12 I just bought a new Concours 14 and wanted to hit the road. Finally broke free for a few week in '13. During the latter half of the 53k miles, five and half years, I put on the C14, I found myself riding dirt/gravel roads and sometimes could not take the road I wanted to ride. It was then I realized I wanted a big adventure bike. It works! Have done some slab days on the AT and days with not so much pavement. Always a combination, and out west where stretches are longer, the bigger bike helps.
Hey Marc,
I see you're from the TN area. We were in your neck of the woods, or, at least your state back a couple of years ago on the winding down part of a trip we were on. We stopped and setup house for about 3 days in town called Sevierville, right close to the supposed "largest knife shop" in the U.S. (they sell a zillion knives, guns, camping equipment and all that) . WE had our '08 GL 1800 Goldwing at the time. We rode from there, through Gatlinburg and up into the Smokey Mtn NP. What a cool ride! Man, that Gatlinburg gets SERIOUSLY crowded! Anyway, nice place. We'd also spent a couple of days in Nashville too. Even went to Mike and Franks place, American Pickers!
Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings from Finland !

Here are all selfies my AT has taken so far: CRF1100

Accessories on the bike are Outback Motortek crash bars, pannier rack and center stand, SW-Motech pizzabox rack + old Kappa rear box, SW-Motech soft crashbar bags, Mosko Moto soft panniers, Givi tank bag, K-Tech shock spring 95Nm and Barkbuster handguards. With this setup I've been pretty happy...

RD07 AT with 400tkm, I got this bike as new and I still have it : XRV750
If someone plans travelling in Europe, here some route screening data. jiknnn The Nomad - Lomat / Holidays

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
215 Posts
Hey Marc,
I see you're from the TN area. We were in your neck of the woods, or, at least your state back a couple of years ago on the winding down part of a trip we were on. We stopped and setup house for about 3 days in town called Sevierville, right close to the supposed "largest knife shop" in the U.S. (they sell a zillion knives, guns, camping equipment and all that) . WE had our '08 GL 1800 Goldwing at the time. We rode from there, through Gatlinburg and up into the Smokey Mtn NP. What a cool ride! Man, that Gatlinburg gets SERIOUSLY crowded! Anyway, nice place. We'd also spent a couple of days in Nashville too. Even went to Mike and Franks place, American Pickers!
Scott
Nice! You definitely hit the popular tourist areas. You probably realized some of the best riding is over there in eastern TN. I see you're in AZ. Used to live in Phoenix after high school while I attended the MMI at the original location on Bell Rd near 32nd St. Later my parents lived in Pine Top and Show Low. Always enjoy riding in AZ. Last time on the Concours 14, I came via Big Bend NP and White Sands. The long straight roads were miserable ride in NM due to the 55mph posted limits on state highways--those limits could safely be at 65mph. Anyway, I was so relieved to arrive in AZ that day.

A couple of pics from that ride:

US-180
IMG_20160606_152239159_HDR.jpg

Eagar, AZ :LOL:
IMG_20160606_165304090_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ahhhh,
The infamous Connie! I've known a few Concourse riders and pretty much, not one of them ever said anything bad about them. There's not a lot of sight seeing here in our little part of the state. But, get up around the Williams and Flag area it get's really nice, REALLY quick. Beowulf, hangs around the eastern part of Phoenix and rides much of the higher hills east of Phoenix. He consistently displays pics of his rides, of course making jealous as all hell. Another place I've ridden with GREAT scenery is the Bayfield CO area, just about 16 miles east of Durango. VERY pretty area.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Greetings from Finland !

Here are all selfies my AT has taken so far: CRF1100

Accessories on the bike are Outback Motortek crash bars, pannier rack and center stand, SW-Motech pizzabox rack + old Kappa rear box, SW-Motech soft crashbar bags, Mosko Moto soft panniers, Givi tank bag, K-Tech shock spring 95Nm and Barkbuster handguards. With this setup I've been pretty happy...

RD07 AT with 400tkm, I got this bike as new and I still have it : XRV750
If someone plans travelling in Europe, here some route screening data. jiknnn The Nomad - Lomat / Holidays
( ... curious avatar ... ) Welcome to the Forum @jiknnn.

Some great images you have. A lot of off road on those tires?

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Her are a few photos of my 1989 Honda Transalp which I ride almost daily and my 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports.
I've owned my Transalp for a long time and have ridden it to some extreme locations solo. My ATAS I purchased last Sept 2020 used with 1677 miles on it. The photo of it with my helmet on the seat is when I took ownership from the seller. He had installed I lot of farkles and I am continuing with a few more. I am ordering a Camel windshield brace and Camel side stand. An Eastern Beaver fuseblock, Fastway footpegs, Garmin hardwired mount, Driving lamps and maybe upper crash bars to mount the lights.

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
215 Posts
Besides the best looking color scheme, check out the Chinook in the background. It's one of the three Guns-a-Go-Go sent to Vietnam. The other two were destroyed. This is "Easy Money."

241 - 260 of 294 Posts