Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
496 Posts
Where was this taken Marc?

·
Registered
CRF1000L | CB1000R
259 Posts
Near the north end of the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama.

Thanks for asking. Normally, I post the location. This post was to get a picture in the thread mix.

Where was this taken Marc?

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin, DCT
21 Posts
Probably a fair distance out of most member's neighbourhoods. Here are a few pix from rides I've done in the semi-arid Karoo region of South Africa. I always ride alone in some pretty isolated areas so a Honda is a good choice. It's pretty much the Toyota of the bike world, reliable as a hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Wow,
Pretty nice roads for Africa. I've never been there so I don't know what's available to ride on.
Scott

Reactions: Grumpee and JDS

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin, DCT
21 Posts
Wow,
Pretty nice roads for Africa. I've never been there so I don't know what's available to ride on.
Scott
Thank you. Yes we have some really nice dirt roads here. Being a semi-desert area those stereotypical snotty red clay roads with trucks bogged down images of African roads don't apply in the Karoo. Often one can ride for a day or 2 with hardly another soul in sight. Helps to clean the cobwebs out of one's head on a ride like that.

lol - it looks like parts of AZ.
Very much, and parts of TX too, very similar.

·
Registered
708 Posts
lol - it looks like parts of AZ.
Ya know what I DON'T see on those roads like we do here in AZ? ...... Ripples!!!!!!(aka "Washboard) Ripples from side-x-sides tearing things up. Those roads look smooooooooth. Now that, would be quite enjoying to ride on.
Scott

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin, DCT
21 Posts
We do get those washboard sections here too, especially on dirt roads that carry a higher traffic load. Shake the hell out of any vehicle. On the lesser traveled and maintained roads rainwater gullies across the road are common and can catch you out if you aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We do get those washboard sections here too, especially on dirt roads that carry a higher traffic load. Shake the hell out of any vehicle. On the lesser traveled and maintained roads rainwater gullies across the road are common and can catch you out if you aren't paying attention.
Baja California is infamous for those rainwater gullies. They call them Vados and they can definitely catch you out.

321 - 340 of 362 Posts